PT the box office of the prequels.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BoromirsFan, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I hate to double post but The Phantom Menace is now the 11th film to cross the 1 billion dollar mark.

Welcome to the billion dollar club, and a job well done to Lucasfilms.

It shall soon overtake the dark knight to be #10.
  2. StarWarrior92 Jedi Master

star 2
    Yippee! =D=
  3. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    Where have you seen that?
  4. StarWarrior92 Jedi Master

star 2
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
  5. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    Thanks. :D

Someone should contact TF.N news page and get this milestone on the front page. :)
  6. StarWarrior92 Jedi Master

star 2
    Daniel Logan stated on his FB page that TPM 3D will get a March 16th release date in Japan.
  7. MandalorianDuchess Jedi Master

star 3
    Indeed, it will be a day long remembered! Jake Lloyd & Carrie Fisher will be in Japan for the opening: http://www.hollywood-japan.jp/html/newpage.html?code=17

Yippeeeeeee!!!
  8. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    I wonder of Carrie will at last reveal how much involvement she had with the script?
  9. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    she was involved with the script? I never knew that!

This is great news, its certain to get a strong amount from Japan.
  10. G-FETT Force Ghost

star 7
    Its always been rumoured she did script doctoring with TPM script, but its never been confirmed and I don't think George or Carrie has ever spoken about it publically.

Similar rumours have always surrounded Tom Stoppard and the ROTS script.
  11. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    That's very interesting....she certainly made me laugh when i read "Wishful Drinking."

Im glad they are going to the premiere, hard to believe its the 10th anniversary of AOTC and next year is the big 30 for ROTJ!
  12. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 4
    Well, TPM grossed just over $700,000 here in North America yesterday (Friday), so we are likely looking at a $3 million to $4 million weekend, taking it to about $41 million domestically. I would think the film should be just under $85 worldwide total for this re-release after the weekend once all of the worldwide numbers are tallied. It might inch a little higher in the countries it is still playing it for the remainder of it's run. However, the key is that it still has yet to open in Japan, which it does later in March. I took at a look at film grosses this year in Japan over at BoxOfficeMojo.com, and it looks like a big new release like Mission Impossible 4 can gross up to about $60 million there total, while smaller less blockbuster caliber releases can gross between $10-15 million in total there. Since TPM has proved to be more of a pedestrian level of performer at the box office due to it being an older film in a re-release and also since it has struggled with it's reputation through the years, I would say maybe $10-15 million in Japan is a good bet. (Just a guess for now). So we are certainly looking at this thing finishing with maybe $100 million plus worldwide. Not too shabby for a movie that is supposedly widely hated and is 13 years old.
  13. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Now thats great news that they are relasing it in Japan. Man, thats a money maker there. Hopefully they can get China too. I am also very happy to see the movie go over the billion dollars unadjusted. Love it or hate it, man GL and company need a milestone of this stature. Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![face_dancing]
  14. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Now thats great news that they are relasing it in Japan. Man, thats a money maker there. Hopefully they can get China too. I am also very happy to see the movie go over the billion dollars unadjusted. Love it or hate it, man GL and company need a milestone of this stature. Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![face_dancing]
  15. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    sorry about the double post, computer froze.[face_blush]
  16. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

Someone should contact TF.N news page and get this milestone on the front page.

I sent it in to them as soon as I saw this two days ago on box office mojo and they have yet to post it on the front page. But the Star Wars party in Fargo is on the front page. :rolleyes:

It's not a rumor that Tom Stoppard worked on the ROTS script, that's widely known and documented.
  17. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 4
    I was wrong about the worldwide gross. It isn't just under $85 million, it is actually at $86.4 million as of now. :D

ALso, where is your source on Tom Stoppard? I know it is a popular rumour from way back, but the only confirmation one way or the other I have ever seen on that is that it was an urban myth. Do you have a link or something?
  18. BoromirsFan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Why do people insist on negatively spinning it? The worldwide count is the final count, and that is what matters. 100 million added to a decade old film is quite alot and is very good.
  19. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    I've never seen the Stoppard thing documented anywhere. And while RotS is an improvement for Lucas, it would be an embarrassment for Stoppard. I'm almost completely sure it's just an inane internet rumor, unless you can point out some of this elusive "documentation" like Stoppard saying somewhere, "I wrote some of RotS!"
  20. Luukeskywalker Chosen One

star 4
    An embarrasment for Stoppard? Disagree.
  21. DarthHomer Force Ghost

star 5
    If Stoppard wrote the opera scene I doubt he would be embarrassed. That scene alone saved the prequels.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.