main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Sep 19, 2005.

1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    It wasn't Citizen Kane but I was shocked at how good a movie it was. I dont go into B movies thinking they are going to be something more but this one was. Jackman was great, the kid was great, the story was actually well done, and the f/x were sick.

2. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/images/smiles/orson_welles_clap.gif]

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    PA3 has a $26 million opening day. That was unexpected, a further humiliation to The Thing. I assume it has a more than decent shot of taking the opening weekend record for Octobers.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not surprised, really, after seeing the crowd for the midnight showing. I caught the unadvertised 10PM showing (I always seem to guess wrong when it comes to choosing between 10PM previews and midnight showings- always end up in the less crowded theater), and came out after the movie at about 11:30, only to find not only a full, multiperson-wide line from the theater doors winding back to the restrooms, breaking, then resuming after the restrooms (two places I've never seen them que people before), THEN, breaking to resume at the start of the traditional "wait till the theater is ready" que area that fills the lobby.

Rarely ever seen that area filled like that so far in advance of a showing.

6. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    You showed a lot of restraint typing a post that long without noting whether the movie was any good.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ha, well, this isn't a review thread ;).

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I still prefer the second, though. But this one's close.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    One caveat I hadn't realized those Friday numbers included $8 million in Thursday night showings. Given that, there's a small chance it won't break the all time October opening weekend record, but I think it will do it anyway.

Edit, nevermind, Gitesh Pandya reports $54M opening for PA3 breaks records for best October debut & best horror debut of all-time.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    This must be one of the most profitable film franchises in history

PA - $15,000 production budget, $193 million worldwide
    PA2 - $3 million production budget, $177 million worldwide
    PA3 - $5 million production budget, ~$200 million worldwide??

I know the advertising budgets were a lot higher for the last two, but still.

11. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    No kidding! The expense to profit ratio is off the charts. James Cameron, eat your heart out. Avatar and Titanic made far more money, but the investment, proportionally, is much smaller, and far less risk.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  13. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    It may have won the weekend but $34M for Puss in Boots is a bit on the weak side (especially considering how much all the Shrek films made).

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    In a way I'm not surprised by these results. Yes, the animated film is going to win out because of the viewing demographics, and PA3 is still gonna draw in viewers for its own appeal.

The only reason people would see Rum Diary is if they are either die-hard Depp fans, like good/different movies, or are Hunter S Thompson fans. I don't think people would see it just because of Depp, though.

I don't know what to think about In Time, other than the fact that one of my friends really wants to see it, so may as well indulge him.

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I saw this today. Good fun, great action, several genuine "GASP!" moments for me.

Also, Simon Pegg speaks Russian much better than Tom Cruise - I still can't believe the guard didn't see through Ethan's disguise, his accent was miles off! :p

20. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Lucasfilm's Red Tails had a 19 million dollar opening weekend. Not bad for a movie no Hollywood studio wanted to distribute because it wasn't commercial. Fox agreed to distribute the film for a fee, but Lucas had to pay for prints and advertising after having already paid for the film's production which was 58 million. I guess 20th Century Fox didn't want to jeopardize their business relationship with him.

Spielberg's War Horse crossed 100 million world-wide.

Tintin has made 351 million world-wide.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    MI: Ghost Protocol will end up the 7th most successful film of 2011, with something approaching $600 million worldwide. That means Tom Cruise is officially back, I guess, and Brad Bird has established himself as a live action director.

I suppose Brad Bird will go back to animated films at some point. But first, maybe this means we'll someday actually get to see that San Francisco earthquake movie?

22. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    The earthquake movie definitely seems to be Brad's passion project. Every director has one, I wonder how much it will cost?

23. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    http://collider.com/brad-bird-here-there-be-monsters/142432/

He might be moving onto Here There Be Monsters instead. There's no great urgency for him to do 1906 - if he builds up his portfolio enough, he'll have unlimited leeway to do said passion project, perhaps even with final cut. Like Nolan with Inception.

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I wasn't aware that three successful movies over the span of one and a half decades was a "craze."