Amph The Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Sep 19, 2005.

1. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think it's safe to say the "craze" is the more recent chunk of that span (to go all the way back to Blair Witch seems unfair), defined by Cloverfield & the Paranormal Activities, plus their knock-offs like Quarantine and those exorcism flicks etc.
  2. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Chronicle was super good. I'm not surprised in the least. Woman in Blakc plays to the teen crowd so again I am not surprised. The thing I am surprised about is two nights in a row I sold out Mission Impossible, this many weeks into it's run is pretty crazy.

Edit: Oh and Chronicle really isn't on par with Blair Witch or even Cloverfield as a found footage movie. Most of the movie is just regular every day filming.
  3. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Oh, see, I forgot about Cloverfield. That does make the turn of phrase a tick bit more sensible - but only just.
  4. Nevermind Jedi Knight

star 6
  5. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    I don't think it's that suprising to see Woman in Black doing well.

It has a number of things going for it that will attract people:

1) It's a Hammer Horror
    2) Daniel Radcliffe is in it
    3) The stage play is pant-crappingly freaky and awesome
    4) It's got a good director which indicates it might be decent.

It isn't out over here until friday, but I can see it doing well againt The Muppets and TPM 3D given all those favourable things.

I liked Chronicle, although exactly how the footage from the various cameras used in the film got edited together is not made clear. Did the government "find" the cameras and assemble the footage in order?
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    You'll note that he downloads his footage to his computer for editing several times throughout the film- though the last scene might be more difficult to explain.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    Add to that the fact that they have footage from the camera they apparently lost down the big hole (didn't one of them say "there goes your old camera" when the hole had fallen in?) and they have included the woman's footage too which means she must have given them her camera. None of that is explained at all, it's just there as a completed work.
  8. Nevermind Jedi Knight

star 6
    I thought Hammer was defunct?
  9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hammer returned from beyond the grave with Let Me In, I think.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    Have you not seen the trailer for The Woman in Black? It had HAMMER in big red letters at the start.

[image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0Sg01uo-_QI/TKZWchdBu0I/AAAAAAAAAL4/zKuL65OxrkA/s1600/HammerLOGO.jpg]<----- like so

Hammer's reputation and Radcliffe's star power are a big pull for the film. Not to mention the director made Eden Lake which was very good.
    So as I said, it's not really that suprising it is doing well considering what it has in its favour.
  11. Nevermind Jedi Knight

star 6
  12. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    All weekend at work we all kept saying to each other it feels like a holiday. It was super busy and it felt great.
  13. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    The Vow? Really?

It's not a good movie, and that's being nice. It's not New Year's Eve terrible, but it's not good.
  14. JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master

star 5

By the end of next weekend, The Phantom Menace will have become the first Star Wars film to gross 1 billion dollars at the box office.
  15. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5

Yeah but its the only romance that opened near Valentines Day and i saw a copy of it and it isnt bad at all as far as a movie like that goes. Also theres a question posed in another thread about who is a star and whether it flips your stomach or not Channing Tatum is gonna get at minimum 20 million bucks out of young women and gay men for everything he stars in for the next ten years lol. Hes a fairly decent actor too so so it could be worse. Theres no doubt that kids a star.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    Doesn't really count second time around, does it?
  17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight

star 6
    Adjusted for inflation, it's already there.

As are all three OT films.
  18. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Love it or hate it, TPM's $22 million opening weekend after a long run on VHS and DVD is an extraordinary achievement. And it did this against three other successful first run movies on their opening weekend.

Can Titanic do better? I don't know. I think Cameron, er, missed the boat by not opening his romantic disaster film re-release on the Valentine's Day weekend.
  19. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    Revenge Of The Sith is gonna make a ton of money in its rerelease. Its already enjoyed a critical revision by many film historians and afficionados alike in less then 7 years of its release. Its the only PT entry that transcends SW. It doesnt hide its caution against power and authority at all and it delivers some primal stuff. In some ways its the most unique of all 6
  20. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    ROTS seemed to be the critical darling of the prequels when it came out; I mean, the NYT ran a cover story declaring it better than ANH.

And yeah, TPM is doing fantastically well for a movie that gets dogged pretty much whenever it shows itself in public. Makes me happy, as I like this film. :p

As for Titanic-I'm kinda curious to see how well it does. I think the "it's all because of teenage girls!!!" trope about it is overrated; it's more to do that there wasn't much else in theatres, and that there was a little bit of everything for everyone in that movie. It has (obviously) a romantic story for lonely middle-aged women and teenagers, a pretty rocking action sequence when the ship sinks, loathsome rich people for the Occupy crowd, a fine supporting cast, and the best part is that it presents it all pretty seriously. There's not alot of cheese in Titanic (besides the romantic subplot) and I think it helps the film immeasurably.

21. severian28 Jedi Master

star 5
    I meant that it's enjoying a revised look in the sense that its an underrated film in every sense and not just being seen as the best of the pt. Thats why i think its gonna make some real money when it comes out again. Thats one to see in the theaters, imo, and i believe its gonna bring in alot of first time viewers. It's a unique film in the saga not just the pt and it has a different vibe to it but really this is a discussion for somewhere else in here lol.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think it just might- besides the nostalgic aspect for women with the romance subplot and the general action spectacle for the men, it hasn't aged badly and has time on it's side: it's been about 15 years since it was last in theaters. By comparison, the last Star Wars film was in theaters only half that long ago and just recently had it's BD release shoved in our face all over the place, on top of the constant video game and TV show promotion/merchandising.

Thus, Star Wars doesn't feel like it's ever really left us, while Titanic can feel like it's actually "coming back", which might drum up more interest amongst the general populace.

And, I think, with Cameron's name behind it, there's more interest/curiosity in the 3D for Titanic than any other post-conversion 3D film yet released (or, in this case, rereleased), which will give it an edge as well.

There's also the oft-chance of Avatar inspiring some retro-interest in Titanic with younger audiences.
  23. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah; more people hate it now. It got a pretty strong critical reception on release, but it's talked about much less kindly on the whole now.
  24. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The 3D in the Titanic trailer made me nauseous. I have to walk out during that trailer every time I see it. There is too much camera movement for me.
  25. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The2ndQuest may be right about Titanic. I like poking fun at the original basher/gusher argument going back to 1998 about whether The Phantom Menace would beat Titanic at the box office. So many fans were utterly convinced that it would.

And now there's a new throwdown for the 3D re-release, though it's pretty muted. The hoards of rabid SW fans have mellowed with age. Highly amusing!