main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Box Office Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Scary Movie surprised me opening 19m only to make 41 OW. It could still do 100. Silent Hill and Sentinel will be 20+ openers, but they won't hurt SM4 that much.

2. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Really? I've heard a couple of people I know on another site give it as similar review, but I'm still not brave enough to go see it. The trailer looks like crap.

This is one case where the trailer didn't just preview the best parts and that's it. Granted, like Zaz mentions, the situations are layered, but the writing is razor sharp.

Didn't much like the book. Funny for about three chapters, then it was just tiresome.

The pacing in the movie is much better.

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I see. I might have to check that out, then. Thanks, man.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Last week:

1. Silent Hill, $20.2 million
    2. Scary Movie 4, $17 million
    3. The Sentinel, $14.7 million
    4. Ice Age: The Meltdown, $12.8 million
    5. The Wild, $8.1 million
    6. Benchwarmers, $7.3 million
    7. Take the Lead, $4.3 million
    8. American Dreamz, $3.7 million (tie)
    8. Inside Man, $3.7 million (tie)
    10. Friends with Money, $3.6 million

Really quiet considering the holiday.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Well Ice Age is definitely a lock for 200 and Scary Movie still has a chance at 100. If it can get good legs this week and the next.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This week:

1. "RV," $16.4 million. (New)

2. "United 93," $11.6 million. (New)

3. "Stick It," $11.3 million. (New)

4. "Silent Hill," $9.3 million. (Total: $34,231,000)

5. "Scary Movie 4," $7.8 million. (Total: $78,171,000)

6. "The Sentinel," $7.6 million. (Total: 25,541,000)

7. "Ice Age: The Meltdown," $7.05 million. (Total: $177,708,000)

8. "Akeelah and the Bee," $6.25 million. (New)

9. "The Wild," $4.7 million. (Total: $28,430,000)

10. "The Benchwarmers," $4.4 million. ($52,782,000)

The figures are a bit misleading. "RV" opened very wide--3,639 threatres--a record for April. The suits expect it will die quickly, especially because Cruise opens next WE in MI:III. "United 93" was in 1795 theatres and "Stick It" in 2,038 theatres.

7. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This week:

1. Mission: Impossible III, $48 million
    2. RV, $11.1 million
    3. An American Haunting, $6.4 million
    4. Stick It, $5.5 million
    5. United 93, $5.2 million
    6. Ice Age: The Meltdown, $4 million
    7. Silent Hill, $3.9 million
    8. Scary Movie 4, $3.8 million
    9. Hoot, $3.4 million
    10. Akeelah and the Bee, $3.4 million

Apparently, the suits expected $60 Million for MI:3, given that there is almost no competition, the reviews were good, it opened in 4,000 plus theatres, and it's a big budget sequel with a hot director. However: it didn't open as well as MI:2 or even "Van Helsing". Now they think there might have been too much hype. Ya figure?

8. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I think its too much hoopla around Cruise as opposed to too much hype around the film which suprisingly - to me anyway - was very good. I think if Cruise wants to have an American Bond situation he could very well have it - that is if his PR people can get a wrangle on his toning down his personal life.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Cruise's publicity used to be very strictly controlled by his former publicist, Pat Kingsley. After he fired her and substituted his sister, he got tons of bad publicity, presumably because sis does not chain him down in a back room. :p
    But I suspect you're right: his personal publicity is the problem.

10. DARTH_CRISPY

DARTH_CRISPY Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2005
    M:I2 opened on a holliday weekend.
    I don't think its a sign that Cruise has "lost" it. Kingdom of Heaven opened this weekend last year with 19 Million. M:I3 generated nearly 1/3 of its budget in this weekend alone, that's good. It may still be #1 next week with Posiden being released. So it didn't make $60 million. The "experts" predicted $400 Million for EIII last year, and it didn't get there, so that must have been a flop. The same experts predict that Pirates 2 will win the summer crown with $300+ over Superman which most of them getting about $250. And they are basing this on the success of the first Pirates movie and the performance of Batman. Sorry, but I know more people who disliked Pirates than liked it. Without Depp its a total waste. And Batman Begins can not be compared to Superman Returns. One is an example of how not to restart a franchise and the other is a prime example how to.

This summer has much more competition out there. Studios held off on movies knowing they didn't want to compete with EIII in '05, and they don't want to compete with Spidey 3 in '07.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Certainly the Box Office is doing better than it did last year. It may be simply action sequel fatigue. It's getting harder and harder to tell the franchises apart.

Apparently, outside the USA, MI:3 did $70,000,000, which is considered good. Still, it cost $150,000,000 to make, so it's not yet in the black.

12. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

Thats yet to be seen with Superman, which is a mystery at this point as to how it will be. Theyve kept a pretty tight lid on things for this day and age. I gush Superman worse than SW so I for one hope its great. So far it looks like there doing the right thing with the art deco motif of Metropolis and the throw back look of the character of Superman. Plus Kate Bosworth is just flat out beautiful AND can act her socks off. Definite inprovement over Kidder. Honestly, IMO, that movie is going to make or brake on Spaceys' Lex Luthor. It doesnt help that youve not one but TWO actors in the last thirty years that hit that character out of the ballpark, albeit ones on television. Everyone thinks its this guy Rousch thats being banked on and I just beg to differ. Its Spacey. If he goes to over the top the movie is going to suffer. He's been quotes as saying that he's tried to play it like " this is Kaiser Souze not pretending to be Verbal Kent ", which if true should pay out extremely well for that franchise.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This week:

. "Mission: Impossible III," $24.5 million.

2. "Poseidon," $20.3 million.

3. "RV," $9.5 million.

4. "Just My Luck," $5.5 million.

5. "An American Haunting," $3.7 million.

6. "United 93," $3.6 million.

7. "Stick It," $3.2 million.

8. "Ice Age: The Meltdown," $3 million.

9. "Silent Hill," $2.2 million.

10. "Hoot," $2.1 million.

"Poseidon" was a disappointment, and the box office was down from last season.

14. LiamGonNeeson

LiamGonNeeson Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2005
    Zaz: Guess the box office will fall short again this week. As monsterous as DaVinci will be, it ain't Sith.

My summer '06 predictions:

Superman Returns will be champ with adjusted AOTC numbers (720 million worldwide).

Code will be second with unadjusted AOTC numbers (650 million worldwide).

Pirates will be third with roughly 600 million worldwide.

Last Stand should reach 500-550 million worldwide.

**MI3 won't even make the top five. Always was a bogus franchise. Phelps as baddie wuz just wrong. Add flakey Tom and walla, *****. Give me Bond. This "mission" will struggle to 350-375 million worldwide.

Being beaten to the punch by the mutants will do little to derail the cultural phenomenon that is Supes-- THE Superhero, with all due respect to Bats and Spidey. If my excitement at opening night for Episode III wuz 100%, Superman Returns rates 99.999%.......I'm that psyched for it. 44 days and counting, WOOOoooooooo!

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    At least one will be a disappointment--most likely Superman.

16. LiamGonNeeson

Apr 11, 2005
    Just as we trusted in the Nolan, have faith in the Singer.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The problem is---it looks just like the Donner films. Try for a little imagination, already...

18. LiamGonNeeson

Apr 11, 2005
    We have been inundated with Bat-flicks in the ninties. The '05 restart, superb as it was, didn't satisfy a great demand....... and it STILL grossed 375 million worldwide. When I last checked Lester's Superman II, the last competent Kryptonian film, was released circa 1980........ and that film had flaws. The first sequel lacked the awe, scope, needed serious tone, and production values of the Donner '78 original. This franchise reboot keeps the Williams score(second only to the Imperial March), gives us a quasi-Reeve quality Clark/Supes, a visually straight from Action Comics Lois, a vastly superior Luthor, and returns Brando and Glenn Ford to their respective roles of Jor-El and Pa Kent.

Zaz: You may be right. A reboot may only gross 350-400 million worldwide...... but it will revive interest again in this franchise much the way Begins has us clamoring for the Joker again. Could Superman versus Doomsday be that far away? Kevin Smith's treatment will finally see the light of day. I can see it now..... Jim Cameron's Superman Reborn. 300 million dollar budget. Adjusted ROTS-size worldwide gross. Stranger things have happened. lol..........

Oh Zaz, and one more thing....... Donner and hopefully Singer are to Supes, what Kershner is to The Saga.

19. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm probably in the minority on these boards, but defninately not in the general public. I believe POTC 2 will be the Box Office King of Summer 2006.

1. Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest
    2. The DaVinci Code
    3. X-Men: The Last Stand
    4. Superman Returns

TLS and Superman could flip-flop but I find it unlikely.

20. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

I think the DaVinci Code will be the # 1 film of 2006.
    I also think it could become, yes I know this sounds crazy,
    the highest gross film ever, topping Titantic.

With 40 million copies of the novel sold, a competent director in Ron Howard, the star power of Tom Hanks and endless media hype due to the
    controversial subject matter, this is a film with an incredible
    pedigree. The potential is staggering.

On the other hand, it may get beat by CARS, [face_laugh]

21. leia1964

leia1964 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    I haven't been on in a while...

I'm getting some subtle negative vibes from the Superman fans about the upcoming movie. They are thrilled that it is being revived but their ticked off about a couple of things: one, they changed the insignia ("S")on the front of the suit and the colors of the suit are different and they don't care for them, last, Lois Lane has a son? I know this sounds petty but to a die hard fan it means something. Also, as a comic book hero filmmaker you NEVER want to upset the fan base. We'll have to wait and see if they can pull it off.

My money's on Davinci Code and PotC. Davinci will only "fly" if parents are willing to fork over the babysitting money and see a movie without the kiddies. Otherwise, the reception will be lukewarm.

PotC will make tons of money... parents see it, kids see it, it's a teenager movie, etc.

Just my two cents!

22. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    If X-Men makes more money then Superman I am burning down all theatres in America and killing 90% of movie goers, all the while screaming " YOU SEE THIS?!!! THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!!! IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!"

Seriously. X-Men looks like ****

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The box office is going to be extremely interesting this week. Subtext: Do critics matter?

24. LiamGonNeeson

Apr 11, 2005
    Zaz: Critics WILL matter. This is an older-skewing pic. DaVinci will still have a 70 million-plus opening. Gargantuan sure, but won't be in the stratosphere many predicted. Dropoffs will be in the 55%-60% range. This puppy may gross 500 million worldwide and STILL be considered a flop.

Fantastic Four of Summer 2006 Box Office(updated 5/19) He-He. :D

Superman Returns: 750 million worldwide, 325 domestic

Pirates/Chest: 700 million worldwide, 310 domestic

X-Men/Last Stand: 600 million worldwide, 275 domestic

DaVinci Code: 525 million worldwide, 250 domestic

The Superman film will be a global phenomenon. Superman is Star Wars after Star Wars. I'm not Yogi Berra, let me explain. The spectacle and excitement provided by the Saga is in many ways duplicated by the man of steel. The anthemic music. The mythology. The history. The enormous fanbase. Add on top of that, what Superman represents to the U.S.A. He's as American as, Apple Pie, and Chevr--you get the idea........ On top of that, the DC icon plays much stronger overseas than Bats, and even Spidey. No, I don't think Kal-El can match Pete Parker domestic/worldwide with this go around, but he's gonna blow the doors off Gandalf, and the mutating mutants of the Rat. lol

25. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    The panning that DVC has received will hurt it because, as the previous poster pointed out, it skews exactly to the group that pays attention to critics. ANd when you have such a heavy negative opinion this going to hurt. Huge opening, but short legs,

I think that "Cars" is the big unknown in the derby. The trailers have been underwhelming, and there has been a lot of talk on the internet that this will be "Pixar's First Flop", but I will be there opening weekend just on Pixar's past record. Yeah, one day they will have a flop, but I not sure this will be it. And the name Pixar will guarantee a big opening weekend and enough box office so that they will not lose money even if it a dissapoinment by Pixar Standards.

POTC 2 looks like a safe bet.

And in August "Snakes On A Plane",the film people are laughing about, might have the last laugh at the box office. It's only costing around 50 Million, so I can see it being a very profitable film.