main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    That is why I said Ward was the enigma in this whole thing....

He is an excellent boxer....but was untested, untill he defeated Miranda.

Depending on how Abraham, and Froch do....Kessler/Ward 2 may happen.

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Poor RJJ. Time to retire methinks rather than rematch Hopkins. And Hopkins should get realistic. He'll never win a heavyweight title in a million years. He'll end up just like RJJ against Green.

Khan - Salita tomorrow. Could be a very good fight. I was supposed to be going to see it live, as I live just south of Newcastle, but my "date" pulled out. Women :rolleyes:

3. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Snoozefest from Vitali. I enjoyed him versus Arreola more than this.

4. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I honestly don't know why Jones continues to fight....

March 13th can't get here soon enough....

Win or lose...I just want to see Pacman put Floyd on his backside at least once!!!

5. Goldfarm

Goldfarm Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2009
    Floyd isn't getting knocked down.

6. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    You might be right...and I said I would like to see it, not that it was definitely going to happen.

But if you remember....Hatton almost knocked him down in the first round of that fight. He hit Floyd, and Floyd stumbled into the ropes.

Floyd wasn't hurt...but he almost went down.

I think people give Floyd too much credit. His resume is one of the weakest for a P4P fighter.

He has ducked way too many fighters.

That being said...Floyd winning on points would probably be the safe bet.

7. Goldfarm

Goldfarm Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2009
    He is the greatest technical boxer of all-time and the greatest defensive boxer of all-time.

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    You do a great disservice to Willie Pep (that round against Graves even notwithstanding) and Pernell Whitaker.

9. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003

Maybe, but....

How do we know that....unless he has fought the best...which he has not.

Are you just a casual fan, or do you watch a lot of boxing? I don't mean that as an insult, just curious....because making a statement like that, you fail to recognize the two fighters Spike mentioned....and also:

A prime James Toney, A prime Winky Wright, and even though he is ruining his legacy....Roy Jones was a great defensive fighter. Many also claim Jack Johnson was one of the best. Hopkins isn't a slouch either....and has fought some of the best competition out there.

I personnaly think Sweat Pea had the best defense.

And to say he is the best technical fighter of all time.....

some of the same fighters I mentioned would also have to be mentioned here also....and also a Motivated Lennox Lewis, and Larry Holmes....who both used their jab better than most...and fought to their strengths.

10. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Well, I guess "Money" Mayweather should be called Coward Mayweather....

The fight is off do to the Mayweather camp insisting on testing not agreed upon previously.

Don't believe the idiot reporting on ESPN, Read the interview with Bob Arum on Boxingtalk.

1. Pacquiao agreed to urine, and blood testing.
    2. Pacquiao agreed to testing before and after the fight, 30 days prior, and also 30 days after.
    3. Arum consulted with an expert that said Urine was more effective in detecting steroids....

Mayweather is trying to exploit Manny's phobia of needles....which is legit according to most reports.

11. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Oh please, Floyd is a *******. But Manny is full of it. Come on, you don't honestly believe that, I mean Manny has tatoos, I doubt he is scared of losing less then a teaspoon of blood.

12. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    :rolleyes:Sigh... Here we go.....

Post proof, or some kind reasoning on why Manny is full of crap...

His phobia about needles, is more about a superstition he has about drawing blood, and weakening himself before a fight. Which has been known for some time.

A TEASPOON? Really? Have you ever had your blood taken for a test?

1. They will test for Hep., HIV, which is standard before a fight. Then, then will take more blood for the hormone, and steroid tests. It would most likely be about 6 vials per visit.

I posted facts, on what was agreed upon. Again:

1. Manny agreed to blood testing, and Urine testing!!
    2. He agreed to 30 days prior, during the press conference pre-fight, immediately after the fight, and 30 days after!!!

What more does Manny have to do? I think Mayweather is looking for any kind of excuse NOT to fight.

Isn't it funny we have heard nothing from him(Floyd)? With his big mouth?

Arum already took Floyd to task on Boxingtalk. I suggest you read his interview there, before judging Manny.

13. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Don't be blind, Manny is being a bigger ***** then Floyd, which is saying something. Come on, if the roles were reversed you would be shredding Mayweather, and besides Floyd has agreed to everything Manny has wanted including the 10 million weight penalty. And Mayweather isn't scared, the only thing he cares about is the money. Just take the drug test, and be done with it.

14. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Actually I would not shred Floyd if he were doing the same...because...

You still didn't respond to the fact that Manny AGREED to blood and urine testing.

I don't deny any posturing going on by both sides...but Floyd is just nitpicking and trying to paint Manny as a cheater.

I also don't deny that this is a publicity ploy to draw even more attention to the fight.

I wonder how many HBO subscriptions the 24/7 broadcast alone will draw....

15. Goldfarm

Goldfarm Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2009
    I've been boxing for 5 years and have been a fan for almost my entire life. Mayweather has one of the best, if not THE best, defenses of all time. His guard, reflexes, movements, etc. are all on a completely different level than anyone in this era. The how do we know that unless he has fought the best question is completely ridiculous. Every heard of pound-for-pound? He may not be the best p4p right now, but he has been the best p4p fighter and he skills haven't really declined especially since he was still training during his hiatus.

16. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    The how do we know that unless he has fought the best question is completely ridiculous. Every heard of pound-for-pound?

That is one of the most laughable comments ever posted about the sport of boxing!

So you are basically saying that a fighter can fight average, to b-level fighters his whole career, and should be considered the best?

There isn't anyone who watches the sport, who does not see his natural gifts, boxing IQ, and boxing ability. But if he has not tested himself against the best, who also posses great ability...how can you say he is one of the best, if not the best ever?

Name 5 fighters he has fought, that were, or are now, on anyones top ten P4P list?

Then look at the careers of Manny, Hopkins, Moseley...and that is just from this era.....then look at Leonard, Duran, Lewis, Holyfeild, Toney, Jones Jr.....and look at who they have fought....

The one common theme you will find, is that they tested themselves against the best. They put their skills, and ability to the test.

17. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008

Yeah, he agreed to it, but he didn't agree to random testing if I am not mistaking. It only takes a couple of days for PED to get out of your system, and it is not like Mayweather is the first one to question Pacman. If this isn't a stunt, then it hurts Manny's legacy more so then Floyd, just take the tests remove all doubt and settle it in the ring.

18. Goldfarm

Goldfarm Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2009
    Floyd was the #1 p4p fighter from 2005 to 2008. Of course this means nothing, he has no skills, and should not be regarded as one of the best defensive boxers. Watch him box, if you know anything about the actual sport of boxing and not statistics, and you will see that he is flawless in his execution. Sure, his career has been lackluster at times because he is a cocky idiot and only wants money and an undefeated record, but he is incredibly skilled technically. His philly shell is ****ing amazing and there are few who could get through it. I like to use the term MMA-math here because it is an example of what you are referring to. You cannot determine one's skills through the competition they face. Buster Douglas then can be referred to as a great because he beat Mike Tyson at his prime... right? Yet he lost to Holyfield shortly after who dismantled him the entire fight.

Yes, Mayweather does duck fights routinely so we cannot get a true idea of what his skills are against another great boxer, but you cannot discredit his abilities because of this. To say that he is not one of the best defensive boxers of all time is just ludicrous.

R...J edit: sorry, can't use that word

19. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, Floyd is an arrogant bum, but he is a very intelligent boxer, and is willing to adjust to anything the opposing boxer offers. Can Manny knock him out? Yeah it is possible, but I think Mayweather is to difficult to hit.

20. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Goldfarm:

The Buster Douglas argument is totally side-stepping my point, maybe even proving my point. Buster Douglas was a one shot wonder, who took on another top fighter, was KO'd and basically never was heard from again....He didn't fight, and beat another relevant fighter.

As far as statistics...yeah I agree. You can't judge by stats, but you can judge by competition....

Floyd might very well be the best...then again:

EXACTLY! If you can't even see what you just posted...I guess the discussion is over.

Let me ask you this....If the Yankees only played tripple A teams, and beat them like they are expected to...Does that make them the best ever? Nobody would doubt their ability, and skill, but would they truly be the best?

Floyd might very well be the best...but if he just fights fighters that are not a threat to him....or do not have anywhere near the skills of a top P4P fighter...how can we know if he is one of the G.O.A.T?

I don't doubt his ability....but judge his resume vs. Pernell, or Wright, or Toney....three great defensive fighters who took on very good competition. You will find Floyd's resume lacking.

Beating Diego Corrales, an washed up De La Hoya, or an overrated Hatton, or an undersized Marquez does not tell me anything.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Pacman has filed a lawsuit against the Mayweathers, accusing them of defamation for saying he uses steroids. Good times.

22. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    This really pisses me off. Mayweather - Pacman is the fight that boxing needs to get fans interested again considering it's relative decline, and what happens? The fight is called off and they're suing each other for defamation. Just fight each other for crying out loud :mad:

23. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    You aren't the only one...

They argue....WE LOSE!

Manny fighting Foremen, or Malinaggi will be a shame..

Then, we will see Mayweather take on some 135 lb fighter, moving up to 147 for the first time!!

Did anyone hear the interview Mayweather gave, on the radio?...I forget the hosts name...but:

Mayweather accused the Philippines (Yeah, the whole nation!) of making the best steroids, and being known for that!

That is totally not true...ask the MLBPA...the best roids come from South America!!:p

24. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    The two sides are going into mediation to settle the dispute. Personally I think that Mayweather wants nothing to do with Pacquiao but still wants the pay day. I hope Pacman knocks him out good.

25. Game3525

Jun 25, 2008
    Your going to be quite disappoint, this fight may be a mismatch.