main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    I'm just glad we don't have to hear anymore Broner/Floyd comparisons anymore. That guy was a clown...He called out Khan, then when Khan responded, Broners team didn't want the fight.

Chavez Jr actually looked pretty good last weekend...even if he should have done that the first time. I would like to see him fight GGG next. That would be a good action fight, if Chavez comes in motivated and in shape.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think that fight is a lock for later in the year. Even with the time off he's taking, I'd still take Golovkin to win the fight, assuming JCC Jr. keeps it together, like you mentioned.

3. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    In other news...Floyd v Maidana being fought at...wait for it...the MGM Grand, yawn.

Floyd may be one of the best, but I wish he would have the heart to test himself.

4. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Canelo v Angulo should be a fun fight...I expect Canelo to be too strong for Angulo, and bigger.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That was about as lopsided as they come. Technically sound fighter vs. wacky waving inflatable tube man - glad the right man won.

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Canelo was just too damn fast. Tony made the right call, Angulo was getting murdered out there and was hospital bound.

7. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003

Yep....Angulo had no chance of winning...good stoppage. I wouldn't want to see another Glen Tapia situation....

8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I missed all the weekend's boxing as I was in France (no boxing over there, just a lot of surrender :p). I always thought Canelo would win that one. Angulo was always too slow.

Loving the buildup to the Froch - Groves rematch. Lot of confrontation at the press conference today, including Groves squaring up to Froch's older brother

9. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Safe to say they won't be spending the Holidays together...Hope this settles things, unlike the first fight with the bad stoppage.

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    That stoppage was just awful. So glad Groves requested neutral officials for the rematch. I'm British and even I hate British refereeing

11. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Lol...well, bad refereeing isn't unique to the Brittish. Did you see that joke of a ref Lawrence Cole? He let Salido repeatedly hit Lemachenko low, and was his usual terrible self on clenches.

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    There's definitely some poor quality refereeing the world over, but British refs are particularly poor for the early stoppages. Hate it investing money into a PPV, buying beers and pizzas, suffering through a generally poor undercard, and then in the main event the fight gets stopped early.

13. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I hear you...that is the worst. All the build up...then bad refereeing or judging ruins it.

How do you see the second fight between Froch and Groves playing out?

14. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I think it depends all on Groves' stamina. If he can keep up his better boxing for all 12 rounds then he can get the decision.

If he doesn't, then with Froch's iron will and experience going 12 rounds, then Froch could get the stoppage again.

15. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Disappointed that Mikey Garcia and Gamboa aren't going to fight....Gamboa hasn't fought in a long time.

16. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    What a surprise...Danny Garcia wins IN PUERTO RICO...

That was a very bad decision. Most ringside observers had Herrera winning 8-4 or 7-5...

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Anybody catch the first episode of All Access: Mayweather - Maidana? Showtime has been lagging behind HBO for as long as I can remember, but now that Mauro Ranallo is their full-time PBP guy to go opposite Lampley, and they're doing original programming in the mold of 24/7, they're getting closer. Plus, it's the only place to see the great Bernard Hopkins fight for the rest of his career.

Cannot wait for May - generally the best month of the year on the fight calendar, because it's when Floyd fights, but with Collazo-Khan and Broner-Molina also on that card, and then JMM-Alvarado, Adonis-Fonfara, and finally Froch-Groves closing the month out, 2014 is really going to outdo itself.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Mayweather-Maidana is going to be shown live in one of our local movie theaters here - think that's the way to go as opposed to buying it. Anyone else thinking of getting it, or going to a theater to see?

19. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Nah, I tend to youtube fights after [face_blush] - they're too much money for me.

I know people like to slate him but I hope Khan does well against Collazo and gets his fight with PBF. I also hope Groves can turn Froch over. I liked Froch since his epic fight with Pascal, but after the super six he appears to have got a bit big-headed, I wouldn't tell him to his face though and there's no denying he's a warrior but I've been hugely impressed by Groves... I wasn't aware of him before his rematch with James Degale.

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Khan UD. Mayweather fight starting now.

Adrian Broner is a creep.

Maidana threw 100 in the first round. Its going to take phenomenal cardio to keep that pace. Floyd resetting and slowing the fight.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Maidana is winning the fight. This could be big, Floyd has a bad cut and is struggling to locate and most importantly, defend and counter.

22. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Mayweather by decision. I thought it was closer, but whatever. I hate Mayweather but the decision seems alright. He dominated the last half of the fight.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I had it as a draw, 6 rounds each. Maidana's rounds were much more decisive. 117-111 judge should be put out to pasture.

24. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    The split decision seems about right to me. Maidana's aggression was impressive but not enough of those were landing. I also counted three definitive below the belt shots. The few seconds before they announced Floyd's name were heart pounding for sure.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah - Weeks is a very liberal referee, generally- also a very well liked and good referee. Maidana, especially at the beginning, was landing a lot of shots on the back of Floyd's head when he was up against the ropes. Weeks would warn him every few, but never do anything.

Also, one odd thing - Floyd Sr. took over Roger's role in the corner for this fight, if I remember correctly. That's a good thing - Roger is valuable, but he's really obnoxious to listen to.