main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    This is why I'm just not into boxing like I once was.

heels1785 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  2. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    that fight result was rigged as much as i would of loved horn to win as an aussie he just didn't do enough in my opinon manny won by 4 rounds. that judge who had it 117-111 or what ever is on crack. why i think it was kind of rigged straight after the fight there was talk that they had both signed for a rematch in australia before the fight even began

bookies were on to it as well manny went from 1.20 fave to paying about 5/1 inside 5 rounds

3. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    The big problem is Pacquiao did not look great. He looked downright a shell of himself. He was outright atrocious in the first round. But he pulled it together as early as round two. By that I mean his natural ability was still gone, but he was running on pure willpower. Even his great round 9 was not Pacquiao being Pacquiao. Pac has never been a flat footed stalker. He's been a swarm of bees leaving the opponent positive a review of the tapes would reveal Manny's twin brother sneaked into the ring and ganged up on the poor opponent. That wasn't Pac round 9. It also left Pac drained for round 10.

Then take into account that Horn stepped up to the event. He was there to win from the very beginning. When his corner (and the ref) told him they were going to stop it if he didn't show them something, he went out there and showed more than something.

Although it wouldn't be a Pac highlight reel fight, it was a great send off for retirement. It was a great setup for Horn to walk the streets of "Argentina" receiving accolades for almost beating the great Pac Man while entertaining financially rewarding future fight options.

And the judges ruined all of that. Now we are going to get a rematch nobody wants to see with an ATG receiving more punishment than he should take instead of a story book ending to a great career.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I had Horn winning four rounds, at most. The compubox numbers, which everyone has likely seen, may not even support four rounds.

He is not even close to a polished fighter, technically - he is a tough kid, but there are thousands of poor boxers who are tough. Pac's hand speed was there from the start, I thought, although he did seem gassed after going for the KO in Rd9.

Horn won a participation trophy, as the nauseating Teddy Atlas put it.

5. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    [face_laugh] Teddy Atlas cracks me up. First, everybody in the room watching the fight with me all had a very subdued reaction. Almost in harmony, we agreed Pac was robbed but also were not surprised. And therefore, not foaming at the mouth. We kind of laughed at Atlas (as we always do), but the kicker was Stephen A. Smith. Not that he was worse/better than Atlas, but it was two people in a row that seemed over the top. We agreed with them, but laughed "these ESPN guys are more upset about this than Pacquiao."

Atlas was saying the right things, but the wrong way. And it's funny because he has a history of this. Decades.

Pacquiao's response didn't surprise me at all. I was lucky enough to discover him I believe in 2001 or earlier when he fought Agapito Sanchez on the Mayweather v. Chavez undercard. Pac has always been one of the most sportsmanlike boxers (outside the ring) alive. He lost a match relatively early in his career, so he learned that fighting the best (and possibly losing) was more important than protecting a stat number. When he loses, I think he doesn't even have to recover emotionally. Just thinks "oh well" and moves on.

6. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    WTF?
    Why would anybody be a boxer?

7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I thought he had over $100M+ in a single checking account? I guess his financial advisor told him that wasn't the smartest of decisions.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There is a press conference in a few minutes.

9. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Floyd got played. 4oz gloves.

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I loved it. Great press conference. I still think Mayweather will win, but MacGregor owned this thing.

11. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    It's a $100.00 ripoff.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  12. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Yes, but the free press conferences are hilarious.

darth_gersh likes this.
  13. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    The only time I've ever watched a press conference for boxing is when the news said something "crazy" went down (usually a Mike Tyson or Ricardo Mayorga event). This is probably the first time I watched a press conference going in let alone all 3 so far.
    L.A. - pretty entertaining
    Toronto - incredibly entertaining
    N.Y. - kind of boring

I'll probably only watch the last one tomorrow in London because why not finish it up. But tonight's press conference was not great. I'd give it to Mayweather because that usually describes a Mayweather win. Workmanlike, but not very exciting to watch.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    I think it's cowardly of Mayweather to try to use rules to his advantage that way, restrict McGregor from kicks and tackles and such. It's bs. Either both men fight at their FULL strength, with FULL skills.

Or don't bother fighting at all.

Reminds me of a long ago showcase fight between Mohammad Ali and a Japanese karate master. Where they would not let the Japanese guy use full kicks. WTF is the point of that fight then? Karate is all about kicks, dude...

Why not simply tell Nayweather to take some wrestling/kicking/MMA training, to match up to McGregor.

I would not pay to watch this sham of a "fight", for sure...

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It's a boxing match. McGregor sought out the fight, not vice versa.

Mayweather has made allowances (i.e. glove weight) that give Conor a better chance.

17. SergeyX2017

SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2017
    To me, this is a pointless fight.

It would be much more interesting, if they indeed made it a mixed discipline bout, where each fighter got to showcase his own skills.

This, on the other hand, is just silly IMHO

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't disagree with you on any of those points. No way in hell will I buy this fight.

But Floyd is not acting dishonorably in not allowing kicks and punches, because this is not a mixed martial arts bout. James Toney sought out Randy Couture and went to his "turf" to fight him. Conor has done the same with Floyd.

Floyd is dishonorable and crooked for many, many other better reasons.

19. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    This is somewhat a problem of boxing in general. The idea that one boxer doesn't need the other. How many sports have the "Final(s)" as highest grossing team gets to handpick their opponent by essentially evaluating risk v. reward. Belts and rankings? [face_rofl]

This event is like this horrible dilemma on steroids (or maybe just cortisone or IV). What is a premier event is essentially an ATG fighting a 0-0 boxer. The 0 in the denominator win ratio should stop the event. You can almost say with a straight face "Somebody's O has to go", except Conor will still have one 0 regardless of the outcome.

BTW, is the 4 oz glove actually going to happen? I figured this was just the typical press conference BS of public agreement / private inaction. That would be quite the giveaway for Floyd. Not because it will help Conor land shots with greater impact (it doesn't do much for his general ability to actually land). But because Floyd's hands are his biggest weakness. An increased chance of hand injury for Floyd will change the probability of his success.

No. I expected Floyd to be *dishonorable* in not putting that very public agreement to contract. Why should he? He calls the shots, right? But it is dishonorable.

Do you think they will actually bet their purse as agreed? On the surface, it would seem Floyd would want to "honor" that and Conor "dishonor". But Floyd is so risk adverse that I bet they came to mutual dishonor on that one.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    *does not say anything about Golden State vs Cavaliers for the last three finals*

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Broner got absolutely taken apart last night, by a far superior technical fighter. Total domination and destruction.

Politely sit down, and shut up.

[​IMG]

22. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I didn't even watch that fight. The result was a No Broner.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'll watch "free" boxing when I can, especially if I get to see talent like Mikey Garcia. Seeing Broner get thoroughly stomped gave my $10/month's worth for Showtime. :p

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  25. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Best way to end a long running HW champ career. Could not have retired on a better fight.

Hopefully, Klitschko retains the respect he earned and doesn't let his ego sour any future commentary he might have on the HW division. It would be great to hear about Wladimir giving Joshua advice on how to handle the more intense spotlight he's just started to endure.

And let's hope Joshua does all he can to clean out his era.