main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    Has anyone gotten the Mike Tyson DVD with all of his big fights until his defeat by Douglas?that is an awesome dvd and Tyson was unstoppable in those days, i hope they make another one focusing on his later career that shows him fighting Holyfield and others, i dont agree with Tyson's past antics but i like to watch him fight, although he never cleanly defeated Mike Jameson in their fight, Jameson failed to communicate with the referee and lost because of it but he got right up after being knocked down and held his own, that guy was awesome against tyson.

2. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    Mayweather and Hatton almost a done deal according to boxingtalk.com!! Also reported in the Las Vegas Sun, a deal has been reached for Dec. 8th!! They will be fighting a 147!!

This is what the fans have been waiting for. I say Floyd will win a lopsided decision. He has too much speed. Hatton has not looked good above 140. Floyd is a better boxer too.

I actually would not mind seeing Hatton win though, because he comes to fight, and does not talk smack.

I also have to eat crow...Hopkins beat Winky, I thought Winky would win a decision. I do think I am right about it being boring. It was a grab-fest.

3. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    This is what the fans have been waiting for. I say Floyd will win a lopsided decision. He has too much speed. Hatton has not looked good above 140. Floyd is a better boxer too.

I actually would not mind seeing Hatton win though, because he comes to fight, and does not talk smack.

I'm hoping that Hatton's previous displays at 147 before were one-offs, and down to his poor dieting at the time. Hopefully he will train harder than ever and put on a good display against Floyd. If he can break through Floyd's speed with one of his rib-crunching body shots then he'll have a chance.

Now, who'd be good enough for Hatton to spar against to get used to Floyd's style? I can't actually think of anyone who can fight like him.

4. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    That is a good question Spike.

I don't think any A list fighter would spar with Hatton, like Mosely did for De La Hoya. Hatton should get fighters with more hand speed and athleticism than him, maybe a good counter puncher too like Ishe Smith or Sharmba Mitchell.

I think the Collazo fight might benefit him, from a learning standpoint. Collazo was a good counter punching boxer, bigger, and a little more athletic.

I don't think any boxer out there can prepare another for what Floyd brings to the table.

5. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Away from the Hatton-Mayweather Saga, in a surreal rerun of the Rocky Balboa movie, former champ Evander Holyfield gets a world title shot against WBO champ Sultan Ibragimov after WBA champ Ruslan Chagaev pulls out of their unification fight injured.

Now this is certainly going to be interesting.

6. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I have always said Holyfield would get another shot. I would not be surprized to see him win, since he has looked good lately.

But, being my favorite fighter, I would like to see him retired. He has money, a Hall of Fame legacy, and many fans around the world. He has nothing left to prove.

All that being said, I think he can beat all of the belt holders not nicknamed Dr. K.

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Maybe he's trying to beat Foreman's record for the oldest heavyweight champ? :p

8. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    According to Boxingtalk.com, Roy Jones Jr. might face Felix Trinidad in late January.

9. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I too have heard about that. Interesting sounding fight, on paper.

10. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I don't think Trinidad has anything left. I hope I am wrong.

I am more interested in Mosely V. Cotto.

11. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Yes, that fight is far more interesting.

Any tips???

I'm going to tip Cotto, just to be different, since most people, I think, will go for Mosely.

12. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I think it will come down to who has better defense. Mosely has not shown the head movement he had at 140, and Cotto takes a lot of head shots.

I actually agree with you. I give a slight edge to Cotto, for youth and hunger. But I think Mosely has just as much power, and is a little faster. I think the winner of this fight should fight the Hatton/Floyd winner.

13. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Agreed with that 100%. Time for a series of quality fights to get fans interested in boxing again. Too many have lost interest.

14. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Yes, there are some potentially great fights on the horizon:

Barrera V. Pacman (even though I would like to see Barrera retire)

Cotto V. Mosely

Floyd V. Hatton

Juarez V. Marquez

and now with Paul Williams beating Margarito, we have a new player in the 147 lbs weight class.

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
  16. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Taylor vs Pavlik?

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Taylor.

I'll post my reasons why later.

18. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Right now this fight is even for me, here is why:

Power: Edge Pavlik

Experience: edge Taylor

Toughness/Chin: Edge Pavlik

Athleticism/Speed: Taylor

Heart: Even

The only thing that might throw everything in Taylor's favor is Manny Steward.

If i had to make a pick, Taylor by decision.

If the fight does not go the distance, Pavlik wins.

19. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    Wow you two have really hit this thread with some clear-cut boxing knowledge.

Oh, and Taylor.

20. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Thanks.

As for why Taylor? Well, I see his strength, jab, and uppercuts posing a difficult proposition for Pavlik. I don't think he?ll be able to walk down Taylor and deliver a knockout that people would expect. Pavlik is a fighter, who trains the old-school way, and he gets in the ring to fight, not to run and hold, but Taylor's experience, and his need to prove himself after his fight against Spinks, is going to frustrate Pavlik, and the fight will probably go the distance. Taylor on points.

21. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    Calzaghe-Kessler confirmed.

22. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    .......wow. :eek:

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Well, I guess I was totally wrong. Taylor floored Pavlik in the second, and I thought, "that's it" but he fought back and pummeled him. Congrats to Pavlik.

Calzaghe - Kessler has been confirmed for a while, BTW. The fight's on in just over a month's time.

I'd like to see the winner (Calzaghe of course [face_mischief]) take on Pavlik next year. Would make for a good show.

And congrats to Clinton Woods and his exhilarating display in seeing off Julio Cesar Gonzalez in his light-heavy title defence. At least I got one prediction right for last night :p

24. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I am not surprized by the outcome. I thought if the fight went the distance Taylor would win. He was ahead on all scorecards.

But, I did say if the fight does not go the distance Pavlik wins.

I know, I hedged my bets, but I will take it:p

I can't wait for Barrera V. Pacman II

I like Pacman in this fight. It would not surprize me if Barrera wins though. He has been left for dead before, and came back to win big fights.

I just think Pacman has too much for Barrera at this point in their careers.

I would like to see both retire, before they are brain dead. Both have nothing to prove, even if Manny is younger.

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002