main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Ah, a kindred spirit :p But I was using beer as an excuse for my forgetfulness :p

So, what does everyone like to consume when they're sat down watching a boxing fight? I'm a nacho with salsa and beer man, myself.

2. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Oh, Froch beats Reid in 5

Still calling out Calzaghe and says he'll follow him to light-heavy. Let's see him fight someone like Lacy first and see if he's close to worth it.

3. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

I am a straight up Beer and Nachos guy myself. It's funny, sometimes I get so into some fights I forget I opened a beer!:eek: Then I open up a fresh one and have two open bottles. (Never cans)

Spike....

Don't you feel cheated that we never got to see Calzaghe fight Roy Jones Jr. in their prime? I don't care who's fault it was....Roy demanding too much money, Calzaghe not wanting to fight in the U.S. at that time..blah blah...

It would have been a hell of a match up with two fighters that have great hand speed.

I kind of feel the same kind of disappointment of not seeing Holyfield v. Tyson when they were in their 20's.

4. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    A man of taste (beerwise), I approve. I also rarely drink from cans. Doesn't sit right with me, and when I pour it into a glass it goes flat. Bottles all the way (when I'm at home at least).

I do, sometimes, tbh. Calzaghe can make the excuse that he's a better fighter now than he was when he was younger, but big names fighting big names is what attracts me. I grew up in the Eubank-Benn era, the times when Frank Bruno was a Brit heavyweight champ and fought Mike Tyson (not for long, though) and then fights like Lennox versus Tyson and Klitschko. Calzaghe has fought some former and current champs (Eubank, Reid, Kessler) and some supposed huge prospects (Lacy, Sheika) but I do admit I've wanted to see him fight bigger names. There is one person I blame for all of this, though.

His name is Frank Warren.

And by typing his name I give myself a [face_plain]

Hatton was once under Warren and then left. Look at some of the fights he's had since. Tsuyu, Castillo, Mayweather coming up, if he wins Cotto/Mosely and maybe De La Hoya. A fighter under Frank Warren never seems to get these big names. Calzaghe may well fight Jones Jr and Hopkins, but they're not in their prime anymore. It does disappoint.

In other news:

Haye beats Mormeck to become undisputed cruiserweight champ

Yes, I know, cruiserweight. It inspires a :rolleyes: from me too :p But, Haye is moving up to heavyweight permanently, and he could just be one for the future to break up the Eastern European monopoly on the division. So keep an eye out for his name in the future.

Now, let's see how Cotto/Mosely goes.

5. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
  6. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I did not get a chance to see the fight, but from everything I have heard it was close, with some feeling that Mosely could have gotten the decision.

7. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I too heard it was close, and Cotto admitted that Mosley's punches hurt him. I'll watch the fight later when it's repeated. Seems like it's been a entertaining couple of weeks for boxing.

8. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Froch versus Inkin confirmed

This fight is for the right to fight Calzaghe for the super-middleweight belt. Calzaghe will without a doubt move up to light-heavy, so whoever wins this gets Kessler.

9. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    On ESPN.com there is a good story on the fight that took place in 1982 between Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and Duk Kim. Kim died 5 days later, and Mancini was never the same.

On the bottom of the page there is a list and ranking of the best UK fighters. Nigel Benn is featured as the #1 most loved during his reign as champion.

Thought you might appreciate seeing that Spike:)

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I was a big fan of Benn. He had such humility, which made him a lot more likeable than the alternative (Eubank [face_plain]). There was a TV show a couple of years back when both of them trained as Roman gladiators before fighting each other. He beat the crap out of Eubank that time :D

Thanks for letting me know about that, DRHJ9 :)

11. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    No problem:)

Benn was a very good...Great fighter. Many in the U.S. forget about how good he was. He defended his title 9 times, and in his prime was a monster! I love when they replay his fights and KO's on T.V.

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    News from the WBC convention:

Vitali to fight winner of Maskaev-Peter bout

Considering he's probably still the best heavyweight in the world at the moment (which isn't saying much), I guess he's got the WBC belt sown up.

13. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I wish there were more legitimate heavyweight contenders. There are some decent fighters, But none are special to me.

Klitschko is probably the best, but would he have been as good in the late 80's or mid 90's when Tyson, Holyfeild, Lewis, Bowe, Mercer, Golata, Moore, and many others were in their prime?

In my opinion...he would not have been a recognized champion. I don't think many of the beltholders today would have been either.

14. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
  15. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    My intuition says Klitschko will win, but I'm hoping Ibragimov pulls it out instead.

Klitschko obviously has the more impressive career so far, just based on his record, especially considering he's a year younger.

I don't know a whole lot about modern boxing contenders, so does anyone with a fairly decent knowledge of these contenders care to do an attribute-by-attribute matchup of these two fighters to give me a better idea?

16. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Sorry for the double post, but I did a little bit of reading, and watched a few vids.

Ibragimov is the faster of the two, with better footwork and an overall smoother, more skillful style. Klitschko hits harder though.

I'm not sure who has the better chin though, because I still don't know a lot about Klitschko. Ibragimov can definitely take a punch, evidenced by his fight with Javier Mora, but with Klitschko's power he might have to keep his distance.

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Wlad's chin has always been the more suspect of the two brothers. While technically a more talented boxer than his brother, he's been caught off guard and knocked out in fights against opponents that Vitali has cleaned up.

18. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Stamina has also been a problem for Wlad. But, Steward seems to have him well conditioned. If Wlad stays tall, uses his jab and straight right, I don't see him losing this fight.

19. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Seems like Ibragimov is definitely the underdog here. I would love to see him win this fight though.

Any news on Holyfield's plans for the future?

20. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Nothing as yet. I'd recommend he retire before doing himself some damage.

21. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
  22. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003

I hope and pray he retires. He is my favorite fighter of all time. I would hate to see him get permanently damaged, due to fighting too long.

Hey Spike2002, Have you seen the HBO telecast of 24/7 Mayweather v Hatton? Do you get the broadcast?

Anyway, it is very entertaining. It shows the life, and training of both fighters all the way up to the fight. It was the same for De La Hoya and Floyd.

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Hey Spike2002, Have you seen the HBO telecast of 24/7 Mayweather v Hatton? Do you get the broadcast?

Anyway, it is very entertaining. It shows the life, and training of both fighters all the way up to the fight. It was the same for De La Hoya and Floyd.

They don't broadcast it, here.

But I've found a way to watch it by...other means.

Still haven't got around to watching it yet. Might start in the week running up to the fight (as in, next week :p)

24. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I love Hattons attitude. I also had no idea he had a son. Kid looks just like him.

It was also good to see another side of Mayweather. He was playing with his children, and the public persona was not to be found....here I am spoiling it for you:p

The whole thing about Ricky "Fatton", and the t-shirts is classic though.

I can't wait for this fight. If I don't hear from ya on the boards untill the fight starts....on fight night I'll raise a beer at the start of the fight and toast to this event, cheers my fellow fight fan:p . I know you will be watching...:)

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Aye, he's got a 6 year old. They're both family men, they just like the hype etc running into the fights. Publicity sells tickets. In private they might keep to their public personas, but when it's over, you'll probably find them downing Guiness together in Hatton's infamous post-fight party.

I can't wait for this fight. If I don't hear from ya on the boards untill the fight starts....on fight night I'll raise a beer at the start of the fight and toast to this event, cheers my fellow fight fan :p . I know you will be watching... :)

Aye. At around silly o'clock in the morning, I shall raise my tenth can of beer and toast the fight, and DRHJ9 as well, and then my friends will look at me with collective raised eyebrows :p