main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Bridge at Sin Trahl - on hiatus

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth-Ander, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Yay the chase is on! Nice flowing action sequence.

2. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Excellent description!

It had webbed-feet and looked like a cross between a Rodian midget and whatever species Master Yoda was. It was even odder because the creature, who couldn?t be much taller than a meter, was carrying a long sniper?s rife that had to be longer than a Wookiee was tall.

3. Darth-Ander

Darth-Ander Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2003
    Thanks, Crystal, Sabe, and KOS. :)

Sorry for the short update today, but DRL has me in a bit of a bind. I'm hoping to give you more later this weekend.

[i]Part: Four[/i]

The little yellow swoop skirted the high grasses, flatting them as he raced for the protection of the forest. Obi-Wan was astounded at the swoop?s speed. The speeder he road had been modified beyond all legal regulations, but he was amazed that anything else could be more powerful. He wasn?t losing ground, but he wasn?t gaining much either. It would come down to how well they could negotiate the trees when they got into them. At this rate, if Obi-Wan stayed right behind the creature, he probably couldn?t catch him.

But Obi-Wan had the Force as his ally, and it was sure to help him keep the assassin in his sight and avoid smashing himself into the trees. The young Jedi tightened his grip on the controls seconds after the creature darted into the forest and moments before he did the same.

Into the woods, thin branches groped for Obi-Wan?s craft and plucked at his tunic. He dropped the speeder?s speed, adjusting his altitude so he could duplicate his prey?s course. Once he was comfortable at that altitude (which was only a second later), he pushed the throttle to max, determined to keep the swoop in sight. After several seconds of weaving through trees, Obi-Wan realized that he was slowly gaining ground. His target was zigging and zagging carefully through the woody growths reaching dozens of meters into the sky while Obi-Wan was moving so low and so fast, his engine exhaust was setting damp fronds a light.

A minute into the chase through the forest, the end seemed near, the forest edge was thinning, and a busy stretch of road was on the other side. If Obi-Wan didn?t catch the assassin soon, he could blend into traffic and make this chase even more difficult for the young Jedi who wasn?t planning on collateral damage.

The assassin finally made his move, slowing slightly to end his zig-zag course and take a direct route to the forest edge. Obi-Wan allowed himself a smile when the assassin positioned himself right in front of him. Already at full-speed he would surely catch the creature before he could---.

Then the swoop?s damaged safety-chute popped open, brushing over the control vanes of Obi-Wan?s speeder, and expanding right in his face.

When he released the deadman?s switch, the speeder slowed and stopped just on the forest edge while the swoop merged with traffic and disappeared. Obi-Wan laid on his back and tried to regain his breath, refocus his eyes, and wondered where he went wrong.

4. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Poor Obi-wan I too wonder what went wrong. Hmmm

You did a good job in describing the chase.

5. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Excellent chase. I was so there! :) Obi-Wan didn't think ahead. How will he find him now? I am sure that our intrepid Jedi will not give up! :)

6. Darth-Ander

May 31, 2003
    Thanks Crystal and Sabe. :) Obi-Wan is about to get another list of things to worry about right now.

[i]Part: Five[/i]

It took Obi-Wan an hour to return to the worksite. The bike?s control-vanes were damaged and something in the engine was making smoke, so he spent most of the return trip walking the bike or making adjustments to it. He didn?t think it would be right to abandon the bike even though the owner was dead. If he could get a few things fixed, and if Mirrinda?s next of kin didn?t claim it immediately, he might be able to use it during his stay on Elekt. As he trudged through the muddy parking area, Obi-Wan noticed a number of new additions to the lot?s inventory: several battered ground-speeders and an unusual amount of stretch-speeders.

After returning the speeder-bike to its slot, Obi-Wan turned his attention to the two collections of beings bracketing the foreman?s bench with the poor foreman stuck in the middle. With a sigh, Dex pulled a thick cigara from a breast pocket, lit it, and put his elbows on the bench in a disheartened pose.

?That accusation is outrageous!? a local in worker?s clothes spat at the beings in bright business robes on the other side of the bench. ?For the thousandth time, the Workers United Front is not made up of assassins or saboteurs.?

A tall Notlih at the front of the beings in robes disagreed. ?[i]You[/i] may not be, but there [i]are[/i] people who do that sort of thing for a living, and Larso C & D knows how to deal with filth like? them.? It lifted a scented handkerchief to its face-splitting nose as if to repel the smell coming from the workers.

?Yes, and you probably know where exactly to find them and how much the going price for their services are as well. Next time, instead of hiring a sharp-shooter, you?ll hire somebody to blow-up half of your bridge instead just to raise your rates and to make the WUF look bad.?

Another round of arm-waving and shouting resumed after that comment. The resulting rain of spittle prompted Dex to drape the construction plans over his head for protection. Obi-Wan shook his head at the calamity as he retrieved his mud-stained robe from the ground. He shrugged into it, trying to think of a way to get the attention of the two arguing parties. He thought for several seconds before spotting the hard-hat he dropped during the attack. With a flick of his wrist, Obi-Wan used the Force to lift the helmet, spin it in the air between the two groups, then tugged it to him like it was a fish on a line.

Needless to say, the move caught everyone?s attention, drawing all eyes to the young Jedi.

Obi-Wan brought the helmet slowly to his head. ?I was led to believe that this worksite is a hardhat zone. Isn?t that right, Foreman Jettster??

Dex had to use all four of his hands to pick his jaw off the floor. The WUF representatives were less surprised, pulling small cards from their hip pockets which unfolded and expanded at a touch to become hardhats that they promptly covered their heads with.

The business-beings from Larso were even less impressed. ?Your Jedi tricks may impress these? simpletons,? the Notlih sneered, ?but I?ve dealt with Jedi before, and you, Boy, are no Jedi.?

Obi-Wan had heard that one before and it always irritated him. ?I am not a [i]full[/i] Jedi, yes, but I [i]am[/i] the Jedi representative sent here to end this conflict.? His eyes moved from the Larso group to the WUF members. ?Peacefully, I might add.?

?Then do something about those dogs,? a human from the Larso delegation said, waving a hand at the WUF workers. ?They?ve been hounding us ever since we got here. We?re here under all legal circumstances.?

?And as much as we hate you,? the WUF leader began, ?we are [i]not[/i] the ones causing you problems. Your workers are free-lance, many of them ex-convicts. How do you know that [i]they[/i] aren?t the source of your problems??

The accusation fueled Dex?s ire. ?Now listen here, we?ve got nothin? against nobody. For some of us, Larso is the only company that will hire us,

7. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    ?By the way, the color of my lightsaber is lilac, not blue.?

I loved that line.

I think you did a great job with this post.

8. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    The resulting rain of spittle prompted Dex to drape the construction plans over his head for protection [face_laugh]

Dex had to use all four of his hands to pick his jaw off the floor [face_laugh]

By the way, the color of my lightsaber is lilac, not blue.? [face_laugh]

ROTFL! Easy to see why Dex and Obi-Wan became such great mates! Bravo! :)

9. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  10. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Good continuation.

Cool chase. Nice to get in Dex.

11. Darth-Ander

May 31, 2003
    Blanket thank-you to everyone. ;) :D

I'll try to get in a new post before the new year. ;)

12. Darth-Ander

May 31, 2003
    Okay, so I'm a little late, but I think the wait will be worth it. :)

[i]Part: Six[/i]

?Sabacc!?

Two hours ago, night fell on Elekt, but there was no halting the bridge?s construction. The workers were using tall, bright klieg-lights to highlight the night-shift?s work, and were alert for more attacks in the night despite Obi-Wan?s assurances that there wouldn?t be anymore, some going so far as to arm themselves, just in case. Larso?s workers [i]were[/i] made up of freelance workers, transients, and outcasts, so it shouldn?t have come as a surprise that they had trouble trusting him. The trust of authority, even Jedi authority, went only so far with some kinds of people.

Obi-Wan frowned at the oversized playing card-chips spread before him on the stabilizing-mat in front of him. The Mistress of Coins, the Five of Flasks, and the Four of Sabers, the sum of which added up to twenty-three, a winning hand in Sabacc. He folded his hand of the Three of Coins, the Queen of Air and Darkness, and the Idiot, which added up to a score of one. Under the rules he and Dex were playing, a Zero Array would have beaten Dex?s Sabacc, but Obi-Wan missed it by one betting phase, his Two of Flasks changing to the Three just as he raised the pot during the last betting phase. Master Qui-Gon would have chided him for his greed and eagerness to get back at Dex who had won the last five hands, and he knew.

?Ah, don?t look so down, Chum,? Dex chuckled as he shuffled the cards. ?We?re only playing for virtual credits, anyway.?

?Yes, I know,? Obi-Wan said. ?But I?m rather disappointed with my strategy. My master wouldn?t approve.?

Dex shrugged as he dealt two cards to himself and to Obi-Wan. ?Sabacc is a game of dramatic and sudden changes, leveling the field between you Jedi and us normal folk.? He suddenly squinted at the young Jedi suspiciously. ??Less you?re one of those untrustworthy types who uses mind-tricks.?

Obi-Wan smiled over his cards: the Mistress of Staves and the Ten of Coins: Sabacc. ?I?m not allowed to,? he said as he laid down his cards.

The lights inside the foreman?s trailer suddenly went out, the surprised shouts of the workers followed a moment later. Grabbing a glow-lamp and a comlink, Dex squeezed his way through the door with Obi-Wan close behind him to investigate the sudden blackout. ?Does this happen often?? the young Jedi asked, looking up to where most of the construction was being done. Like fireflies, glow-lamps spread throughout the girders high above the Sin Trahl River came alive.

?It never happens,? Dex told Obi-Wan before switching to the emergency channel on the comlink. ?Everyone just hold still, don?t move. I?ll check the---.? And just as quickly, the power came back on and the entire construction site was lit as if it were midday. ?---Generator.? Dex raised an eye-ridge as he closed the link. ?At least I hope it?s the generator. You don?t think those WUF dogs would go back on their word after that ceasefire you negotiated earlier, do ya??

?Maybe not them,? Obi-Wan said as he followed Dex to check the power-generator. ?But some renegade faction of WUF.?

Dex nodded agreement. They took a make-shift lift up to where most of the construction was being done and where a handful of engineers had gathered around the power-generator. ?What?s the problem, Bakkie?? he asked a ginger-furred Wookiee.

The creature barked a reply, emphasizing his words with a jerk of his thumb toward a nearby equipment shack.

?Bakkie?s right,? a barrel-chested human said. ?I thought I heard something going on at the equipment shack. They musta had someone turn the generator on and off as a distraction. There doesn?t [i]look[/i] like anything?s wrong with it.?

?Well has anybody checked it, yet?? Dex growled.

?Tars and his brother are there,? a skinny, lank-haired human said.

Dex let out a breath. ?Well here?s hoping---.?

?Wait!? Obi-Wan grabbed the Besalisk?s arm. ?Is everyone accounted for? Was there anyone working alone??

?We had a person working halfway up each support,?

13. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
  14. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    UP, again.

15. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002

Dex had to use all four of his hands to pick his jaw off the floor.

LOL! Hey, whatever happened to this fic? :(

16. Darth-Ander

May 31, 2003
    leia - Hey, whatever happened to this fic?

It's going on hiatus because of a few real-life situations and the fact that I want to concentrate on my other stories. I might get back to it one day, you never know. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.