main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That has to be a pretty old post.

2. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I'd really love to read a canon novel written by Zahn. Hope he will write one, soon!

Barriss_Coffee, Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I also think that it's a good idea for authors who worked on influential material in the Legends universe to be given a shot with the new canon. So far we've gotten Luceno, Kemp, Christie Golden, Jason Fry, JJM...I'm sure I'm missing some, but you get the point. So give Zahn, Ostrander, Stover and the rest a project to work on. They deserve it.

4. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    I agree. Just please not Denning...

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think a Zahn SW novel is totally possible. Ostrander might be more difficult...two totally separate editorial teams (Marvel and Del Rey) and processes. Stover is probably out...as he self-admitted due to difficulties he had keeping up with deadlines.

6. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    If the new canon is scripted as thoroughly as we assume, Stover could write a novel without worrying about deadlines.

7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That makes no sense. And there seems to be a misunderstanding of the Story Group role. They aren't writing or scripting anything, as I understand it. Just keeping things consistent as much as possible (there will still be inconsistencies).

But even if Stover worked off an already scripted outline...he'd still have a deadline. Regardless of whether or not he could meet that deadline, Del Rey has to consider he might not.

I think Stover is done in the SWU, as much as I would like to read more.

8. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe they keep it secret and give him a really long deadline. They could reveal it as a surprise book, when he has finished writing. Stover's a fan favorite and it could have a big impact if he were back. Same with Zahn!

9. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think the big impact is already there. "Maybes" are a stretch, at best.

10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Too bad about Stover, but oh well [face_sigh] As for Ostrander I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. He and Jan Duursema regularly post SW related stuff on their Facebook profiles, so it's not like they'd be against it. The question is would LFL/Marvel want them to work on anything, and I can't see a reason why not.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  11. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    We must continue this movement.

What say you everyone?

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
  13. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    That thread is dead man.

14. Obi-Henn Kenobi

Obi-Henn Kenobi Jedi Knight

Jan 16, 2015
    You're right, it's from 2013; I should have mentioned that. But I'd still love to see that project happen. And given Zahn's popularity, it might be one of the more realistic options for new Legends material.

edit: More from the respective Facebook interview:
    "As a matter of fact, the trilogy I mentioned above (which I'll pitch if I'm invited to do another book) would have one book heavily involving Thrawn and the Chiss. (The middle book, btw, would feature Mara being sent to stop an assassination...against Vader. Imagine the fun they would *both* have with *that* assignment.) The proposed series title is The Maestro Trilogy, if anyone wants to star nagging Del Rey. (No, seriously, *don't* nag. Just ask politely...)"
    The popularity of Thrawn and Mara would also speak for this project.

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    There are two concerns that this sentiment brings up: first, I don't think it's really a question of "deserving" something. LFL doesn't and shouldn't think in those terms. No business does, or should. If they want someone to write in their universe, they'll ask that person; if not, then they won't.

Second, if this is a new take on this universe, why is everyone asking for all the old writers from the first take to come back? That's essentially asking for this new canon to be remade into the Legends canon by increments. But that's not going to make the Thrawn trilogy canon again, or Plagueis, or anything else from the Legends. If anything, this desire to see them come back speaks to a failure of imagination, in that no one seems to be able to conceive that there are other authors, who haven't had a chance to play in this sandbox yet, who COULD do as good a job or better. Fans just fall back on familiar names because the unfamiliar intimidates.

If this is going to be a new canon, then let it BE new. Quit trying to unscramble eggs; they're good and scrambled, and can't be put back in the shells again. The only thing that could ever result from trying is a mess.

V-2, Joe Kalicki, Riv_Shiel and 3 others like this.
  16. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    My point was not to remake Legends by bringing Legends authors to work on the new canon. Not my point at all. My point was, those authors who worked on Legends for a pretty long time should be given a shot with new things because they've proven that they can produce good stories in the Star Wars universe. And since they've worked on Star Wars for a pretty long time, they also understand what it takes to make a good Star Wars story.
    Couldn't agree more on that.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We can have new stories with the old authors. Admittedly comparisons are unavoidable but they can come up with new stuff. New situations etc.
    Let's have some familiarity to drag us in.
    It's all SW to me. Just wouldn't feel right without having at least one story in the NEU not written by the more popular authors in the EU.
    I can rank AND and Tarkin amongst JJM and Luceno's EU stuff easily.
    I'm still sad we won't be getting more Allston stories. If Allston was still alive but they told him and the others he can't come back because they want everything to be new would tick me off.
    Allston at least could come up with some hilarious subplots. Would it be as funny as the Yub Yub Commander thing? No idea but it would have been an enjoyable ride.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There are other people who can write humor. Enough others that I wonder why Allston was the only one in Legends whose books had funny moments.

JJM writes great humor and I hope he does more with the NEU.

Jedi Ben, blackmyron and spicer like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is the internet, it can always..... Rise.

Davak24 likes this.
  20. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    It can also be subject to wishful thinking.

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Perhaps but I do agree with CT on this - it's a better fit for discussion of Legends generally.

22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Agreed.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding this, what authors/comic artists/illustrators that have not worked with SW would people like to see work with the new EU?

24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Welp one day from the raid (and it looks like most of them have already tried to paste the Del Rey site because Del Rey already put up an Aftermath article) and the movement is up to 99 participants. Can they get a 100 before the Sept. 4th Deadline?????????????

The movement is also not going to like this. Amazon's best selling books (all books) #6 Star Wars Aftermath.

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah... I think the above guy is the only person that cares about them now. Why don't we resurrect the general Legends thread to discuss Legends?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.