main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    If that was aimed at me, correct punctuation usage and style are not the same thing.

In any case, my post was an ironic attempt to highlight very poor punctuation usage. I could barely make out his meaning.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    If only Zeta had this attitude. It's kind of essential for the EU.

I'm pretty sure that's not what Kahn meant though.

3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Holy hell.

This is still going on?

4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Zeta's a celebrity!

5. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Are you part of his fanclub?

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm Zeta's #1 fan.

I'm trying to get him to get more enjoyment out of the EU.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I'm his number #1 fan!!

8. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Oh snap!

Better get a restraining order, Zeta.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, honestly, Zeta's negativity annoys me but the only thing I'm actually trying to do when I debate with him is to get him to open himself up. I'm only trying to help. His brand of negativity has to be seriously, legitimately unhealthy.

10. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Zeta's just upset about what SW has become.

I think he just wants the good old days back.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think that's going to happen.

Although, most here agree that SW Rebels is very much like the early EU. Though I'm not sure what constitutes the "good old days" in your usage. I wouldn't define the early to mid 2000s as such, but that is most of the EU Zeta seems to talk about.

Darth Caliban and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Then the early to mid 2000s must be when Zeta thought SW was great.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Zeta knows where the line is and, as far as we know, has been toeing it. The rest of you need to stop making him the topic and back off entirely.

14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    It's a good message. I have been a bit of an ass.

These realizations (and admitting them) can be good.

Sorry, Zeta (and the rest of the TFN board posters)

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, I'm sorry, too. Just trying to help you out, Zeta. :)

Davak24, blackmyron and Zeta1127 like this.
  16. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    The Rotj Novel by Matthew Stover was so much better than the Movie but contradicted so much from it and TCW dialoguewise and other things to be canon! If it were up to me in this case the dialogues from the Novel should be canonized with the Movie taking a backseat to it!

17. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014
    As far as I'm concerned, these are the good NEW days, which are even better because I don't have to look back to enjoy them, I get to look forward to more of them.

18. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    I wish I could say the same.

19. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

Well maybe you will in another 10 years or so. I had to take that much time away from the franchise to renew my love of it.

Taalcon likes this.
  20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    So...my whole take on the Bring Backer movement has been one of mocking and scorn. Mostly because the "movement" has been such a ridiculous, half-baked joke.

But let's try to switch gears here. I do believe more, new Legends stories are possible. I even think likely. But a positive fan appeal can help facilitate the process.

This appeal needs to start small, and it needs to be achievable.

I was at a book store today and saw a new release of the OT novelizations. Even though I have them, I was tempted to buy the paperback.

Now, the OT novelization are books that I think will ways be a part of both the NU and Legends cannon. So in a way, the OT novelizations can be said to be Legends.

There was an effort a while back to start making unabridged audio book versions of previously released SW novels. They did the Thrawn trilogy, Allegiance, and the Bane Trilogy.

Audio books are pretty hot right now, sometimes outselling hardcover releases.

I would love the OT novels to get the unabridged audio treatment...and I think they would be marketable, especially now.

Start there, then have them continue to make more audios of Legends books. From there to new Legends stories.

It makes sense in my head.

But first...unabridged audios of the OT novelizations.

21. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    The good ol days of the 2000s?

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's a crime that Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor never got an audio book.

23. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Well, I loved Aftermath because the child growing up reading the EU and the sillly goober who enjoys indie lit made each side of my brain happy,DigitalMessiah had fun reading the same book. So yeah, LFL Group, take my money!

[​IMG]

24. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    I wonder a bit about the new novelizations. Now that we have an unified canon, what's up with the differences and contradictions between them and the movies?

25. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Honestly? Because contradictions arise. Especially in shared universes.

The only reason that it comes up is that some of the NEU boosters like to constantly point out the contradictions in the Legacy as proof that it was falling apart and a failure, and as a consequence become rather prickly when any contradictions in the NEU canon are pointed out. Storygroup isn't this force going over every novel and comic with a fine-toothed comb; just like in the old days they (a) proscribe the limitations to prevent contradictions with future sources, (b) make sure nothing contradicts the 'primary' sources (TV shows and the movies, because despite the 'all sources are equal' mantra, they are always going to be the most important) and (c) answering questions when an author asks them.
    The only 'difference' with the old days is that they are creating overall 'plot points' (like pushing Jakku as much as possible)... but ultimately that really isn't that different to how Del Rey was handling things with their 'main storyline' novels (NJO, LOTF, FOTJ), except LFL has more of a role.

And ultimately, the people actually resolving the contradictions will - like in Legacy - most likely be various authors, rather than Storygroup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.