main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Haven't read it yet. Will likely have a better perspective when I do.

That would still be classified as a ret-con though since the temple appears exactly the same in ROTJ, so everything would have to be street level or below which seems unlikely based on the above description.

dawn2legacy likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The area looks a bit more built up around the Temple - the bottom edge from the prequel pic is no longer visible.

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Isn't it obvious? It was a Force Ghost Jedi Temple.

Riv_Shiel, Ulicus and Iron_lord like this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh go you plucky little resistance fans you! Before you know it, they'll undo the decision because intelligent and resilient fans stood up to The Man for justice or some other high minded bull**** that gets used as a justification for inherent psychological weakness. The elements of the sequel trilogy which will destroy the EU - like Luke not training a new Jedi order - will be rewritten just for you.

I'm working through the Thrawn Trilogy mega edition audiobooks now on my commute to work. The ones not read by Threepio and Wedge. I know they're not canon; most of their backstory was cut out by TPM. And now they're officially never happened and I know from a few EpVII spoilers that the path envisioned for the Big Three is likely not remotely close to the official path.

I'm coping just fine. And I still love TTT.

I just don't get the movement and how much energy it wastes on delicious tears because stories aren't canon. I mean, unless you admit most of the stories were utterly terrible and it was only the thin veneer of legitimacy canonicity afforded that kept you engaged?

V-2 likes this.
  5. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Sigh. This tired old strawman again.
    It doesn't matter one whit to me whether the books on my shelf are canon or not. They're there, they're great, and they're not going away.
    What does matter is that canon determines what "toolbox" stories will be working with going forward.
    If something I like is no longer canon, I can't expect to read about it in the future. Garik Loran's career as Director of Intelligence, Syal and Myri's futures, Mara's adventures as a smuggler pre-Jedi training, and many others. These are all characters I care about and stories I was looking forward to reading one day. If the basic details of plot and setting that let me imagine this universe so vividly are being overwritten, the new continuity has to work to draw me in so deeply all over again. I think I've explained this better elsewhere, but I'm just really tired of having to again and again.
    Best case scenario for me is most of these things get pulled forward, but I'm not holding my breath - and in the meantime I have other things competing for my finite entertainment budget. If the new stuff is better than I would expect from Abrams, Denning, et al. then I'll appreciate it for its own merits, but I can still be unhappy with those potential future stories not being in the cards.
    I'm coping just fine as well, thank you - that doesn't stop me from wasting a few minutes of my spare time talking about the issue with a community who's company I enjoy.
    I don't expect you'll even listen to what I'm saying (you haven't seemed to yet), much less understand, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and engage nonetheless.
    If there's one slim piece of you that's interested in more than trolling and insulting your fellow fans, then please, please tone it down a notch. Your current approach is accomplishing nothing but making this forum a less pleasant place to visit, and that's a shame.

6. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    To be fair a ver minisclue minority is pointlessly demanding that Legends be the established canon. Most just want to see it continue. Despite some of the personal poor taste atempts to accomplish that, the request is fairly understandable isn't it?

7. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Well Tarkin is still on the bestseller's list on amazon.

It is sad that some of you guys are hoping these new books don't do well (especially since they are books you would probably enjoy if you allowed yourself to enjoy them).

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Let me ask you something then:

Did you like it more or less when they invented new characters and told stories without deferring back to the Big 3 all the time?

(Abracadabracus)

9. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    Okay, I'll bite.
    The Big 3 and the Skywalker legacy are the "heart" of Star Wars, and it's good to keep their ongoing thread tied into the galaxy-shaping plotlines, but it's a big galaxy, and it's stronger when the scope isn't narrowed too much on conveniently marketable movie characters.
    The flubbing of the handoff to the next generation post-NJO was one of the biggest missteps of that era, but I'd prefer it have been addressed by either the "soft reboot" circa 25 ABY that I've been advocating for years, or just refocusing future plans rather than a wholesale reboot. I'm glad the handoff will be happening in the ST, but the younger generation would've been the main stars of any future episodes with or without the reboot, and I'm not particularly enthused by the upcoming Marvel catalog which looks to be a retread of ground that's been covered to the point of redundancy already. It's inevitable and fine for them to milk some nostalgia with the ST putting Star Wars back in the spotlight, but I'm hoping they move on to more diverse stories sooner rather than later.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The only reason I ask is that I hated the saturation of stories with increasingly unbelievable antics of 80 year old heroes who saved the galaxy and probably maintained unaided erections too.

Part of the appeal of Star Wars, assuming of course you were lucky enough to grow up in the 80s and miss the suffocating saturation post-1999, was the seduction. You ever had that thing where you like someone romantically and in they put on a certain air, behave a certain way and over time you get to know them and it's gone?

Yeah. That's Star Wars for me right now and why (aside from schadenfradue) I'm so happy the EU's been shot and tea-bagged.

I don't want everything to be about Luke. I don't want every minute of every day of every year of Han's life mapped out in novels. The less I see the more they are, and proof positive of this approach is just how underwhelming Boba Fett became once Attack of the Clones came out.

The Marvel run right now is kind of in post-TPM, pre-AOTC era of not knowing what stories it can tell, so they rehash the Big 3. But the prospect, thanks to Rebels, that stories never need contain a Skywalker or Solo? SO GOOD.

Plus the stories you love? The ST will not care for them. It will in fact make them utterly untenable. From what we know, the NJO never happened. There's no Jaina. Thank **** there's no Saba. No Kyp. No Gavin Darklighter. None of it.

You know this right?

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say what is likely is that in the ST era, when the books can get at it, they will probably legitimately be entire novels devoted to the next generation characters without the crutch of employing senior Luke, Leia and Han as major characters, which the EU never got a chance to really get into *cough*Crucible*cough*.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  12. JohnTK421

JohnTK421 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 26, 2014

Your under the impression that we care about Canonicity
    the majority of us dont care anymore

dawn2legacy likes this.
  13. JohnTK421

Jul 26, 2014

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The reality is that the old EU continuity is dead. Parts of it that won't interfere with the new continuity will be re-introduced slowly, so you'll get a continuation of the EU in that sense. That's the best you can hope for, IMHO.

lookameatbag likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Some parts. Mostly the ST just curb-stomping the old EU stories with glee.

I lubs it.

16. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    Ender Sai
    ...aaaand you were setting up exactly the false dichotomy I suspected.
    I don't even know where to start addressing the weird assumptions and fallacies there (besides the ones I touched on in the very posts you were responding to). It's not worth the effort when you're clearly not interested in a two-way conversation.
    Sorry everyone, I need to learn to stop feeding the trolls.

OH GOD I HAD NO IDEA. [sarcasm]

17. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Well yeah, the post-ROTJ EU has a pretty low chance of surviving without a major overhaul, much of it being unworkable as-is..

18. JohnTK421

Jul 26, 2014
    Anyways i have wasted enough time in this thread
    i will leave you with this. Talk about us all you want write all the articles about us you want in fact whine and complain about us all you want, but the fact of the matter is we aren't going anywhere. And no matter what anyone says about us we will stand strong and continue to fight for the continuation of the Universe we fell in love with and grew up with and dreamed about at night.
    If you don't agree with our end goal that's fine no one is forcing you to but don't expect us to stop doing what we are doing because you don't agree with us. In fact don't waste your breath talking about us.

dawn2legacy and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Ironic.

20. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

No I suspect that once you all begin to realize that the stand you are trying to make is doing absolutely no good whatsoever your numbers will really start to dwindle. I give you six months to a year. After that some of you will finally accept the NEU and its continuity or will just move on from Star Wars entirely and not see the time for silly campaigns like this anylonger.

21. JohnTK421

Jul 26, 2014
    EDIT: "If you don't agree with our end goal that's fine no one is forcing you to but don't expect us to stop doing what we are doing because you don't agree with us. In fact don't waste your breath talking about us" or to us for that matter because we have already heard your bile ten times over.

22. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I really don't know why people who don't like the EU come to the EU board for the sole purpose of hating on it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong. Everyone has their own opinion and there's nothing wrong with you disliking the EU. I'm only pondering on why you'd come hate on it on a board dedicated to it. People who like the EU won't change their mind on it, neither will people who dislike it. It seems kind of a pointless endeavour for either party to attack the other.

23. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    :confused: [face_idea] Could it be because

[​IMG]
    ????[face_dunno]

24. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    "That is why you fail." Seriously though. You don't want us to talk about you, but yet this whole time you have used this discussion and publicity as justification that you are doing something right.

You lump everyone who disagrees with you in the same category of being hostile and mean, but whended some people in your movement are given that same charges you hide under the "I am a weak leader not responsible for their actions" argument.

Allow me to be the bigger ma . I am sorry for some legitimately Ryde people who go out of their way to destroy the EU I find them equally pointless and despicabe as those on your side that go out of their way to try and tank the new stuff. It's not cool, and I hope they keep their mouths shut. I come on the EU thread because some of it I really enjoy. I don't know what some of these other guys problem is.

Here is the thing, that apology I gave on behalf of people you seem to lump me with is something I have never once heard from your victimized movement.

I don't expect you to respond to this since you said you were jumping ship and ignoring this conversation. That is if that wasn't just another ploy for a little more attention (which I am admit I am skeptical about)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

How can you complain about people calling you whiners, but in turn call others' the same thing? What makes one a whiner and what makes one a freedom fighter?

Personally, I don't care what you guys want, I only care about discussion of new continuity stories being derailed by a bunch of jerks jumping in and moaning about the same thing over and over again. You'd probably be more liked if you all just kept away from the places where people are actually talking about new product rather than old stuff.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.