main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Many fans have simply not taken the Sobchak route, only a few have, but those few have gone out and got megaphones!

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    George Lucas Hasn't Watched the New Star Wars Trailer

So about this deal you were so excited about in the Kathleen Kennedy interviews, George...

[​IMG]

I love continuity. I really do. But sometimes... sometimes I gotta wonder why they even bother if the Man Himself doesn't give a dang.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    He may well take the stance it isn't his anymore so he's moved on. If that's what's happened good for him. I hope he can live the rest of his days free of the hassle surrounding SW. He's likely pretty darn exhausted.

Valin__Kenobi and TKT like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

After 30 odd years I think anyone would be.

Lando Swarm likes this.
  5. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Barriss he did say he was going to see the movie in the theater didn't he? I think people just need to stop trying to find ways to bash Lucas when he isn't even making the movies any longer.

V-2 likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed, Fett. Creatively and stress-wise. Honestly, he lasted longer than I thought he would with GFFA. I'm glad he did this on his terms. I wish the fans would cool it with the nonsense.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

So would I. Hopefully in a few years they can leave him be.

8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Change has nothing to do with it, I am just invested into Star Wars as the films and the EU collectively, not just the films with the EU being ancillary material, to the point I almost love the EU more than the films. Of course, that is somewhat irrelevant when I was already largely alienated by the post-NJO and TCW. So I almost don't want more, since it will probably only be more of the post-NJO and TCW, which I don't want. And it doesn't help matters that I am not seeing anything for me to be interested in with the ST, so embracing the new just isn't likely to happen at this point. I also cannot suddenly not become a fan of Star Wars.

Csillan_girl likes this.
  9. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

[​IMG]

They are just a bunch of books for crying out loud. And the fact that you even admit yourself that you had been alienated already by the post NJO makes it even more difficult to see how you are having so much trouble in doing so.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    At least you got a clean end too. Back in the day, they didn't give a damn what TPM did to the EU. This time they had the courtesy to tell you they'd taken it out back for a rest (BANG).

V-2 likes this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't know; it seems disrespectful of him to say he's not interested in the film. I'm fine with him being honest -- if he wants to feel that way, fine. But to say that so blatantly in an interview seems discourteous, especially in light of the fact that he was touting Disney and Abrams back when Lucasfilm was sold.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

You've been both of these things throughout this thread. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

For the record, I've gotten over the EU/Legends things months ago. But belittling those who haven't is rude and unfair.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't like this post enough! EU fans got into the EU because they liked it. EU fans post on here because they are invested in it and like hearing what other people like and dislike about the entire body of work. Telling EU fans not to discuss something they are invested in, in a forum dedicated to that subject is very disrespectful imo. All fans should be able to discuss what they want. The EU frame of reference for SW is no more right or wrong than the fans who want to follow the ST and NEU. We are all SW fans here. Nothing wrong with liking something different. We are all invested in it. If we weren't, we wouldn't be here.

14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

There's not much there you can make much of though. For starters he probably gets hounded with these same questions all the time. He also probably just wants to stay out of it. And lastly we don't have any idea how this person who put up this article went about trying to get this info or even if they reported correctly. Were they bugging him when he was just trying to mind his own business for instance.

All that we can really make of this article is that he doesn't put much stock in trailers and prefers to wait until the actual movie is available to watch.

15. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    darkchrono: move on, get over it?
    Honestly: why?

You do not like an opinion, so people here aren't allowed to voice it? In the EU part of the boards?
    Please let me decide for myself what I hold dear and stop telling me to "get over it", because I simply won't.

Force Smuggler said it better than I could: just because the EU ist not official any more, that does not mean EU fans are suddenly the "wrong" kind of fans or something.

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So what you're basically saying is that you acknowledge you're adopting a fundamentally unhealthy mindset - in effect, you are stuck in the "denial" stage of grief. And you know you should move on, but you don't want to.

obsidianknight482 likes this.
  17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    You're sticking in "condescending" stage, so why should they move on if they don't want to?

18. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    Ender, thanks for worrying about my mindset, but I'm not of the "okay, I hate the situation, but I can't change it, so I'll accept it and be happy with it and shut up" type.
    We have a saying here for what you are trying to do, along the lines of "accept it or drop dead" ("friss oder stirb").

If everyone just accepted what they don't like, there would never be change in the world.

Ordo Skirata and Abadacus like this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't know what you're driving at with the "unhealthy mindset" bit -- CG and many of the rest of us have fond memories of many of those books. Is it such a crime to like some old stories?

The old EU's not even 6 ft under. AND, Tarkin, Rebels, etc have been chock full of EU references. Adapted it may be, but dead it is not.

20. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000

Smug and condescending is not a good look on you.

My issue with the "movement" was people being incapable of not kvetching about the de-canonization in threads where people are just trying to talk about a new or upcoming release in peace. Equally annoying and frustrating are judgmental people going around taking a dump all over the EU with little or no provocation. It's unnecessary and unhelpful and creates a toxic environment. You don't know what's going on inside someone's head, so stop pretending like you do.

21. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
  22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There is no moving on for me, because thanks to the post-NJO and TCW. I wasn't very likely to get any more EU works I wanted anyway. Do I not have the right to be disappointed that the one thing that could fix Star Wars for me, the ST, is apparently no help in fixing things and if anything even worse. Well, besides TCW, since that was basically never going to be fixed, because the Star Wars god ordained it to be so.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes, you and anyone else have a right to disappointment. It's likewise not wrong that some can't get past it regardless what callous people that don't understand and don't care say. [:D]

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Can anyone tell me what purpose this thread now serves as there's the other general Legends thread?

Because I wasn't joking about nuking it from orbit a few pages back!

25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I don't know. Maybe it's keeping this stuff out of other threads? Except it's not, really.

You have this post on your clipboard, don't you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.