main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Quite honestly DD, I don't think there's anything left to discuss of the original question. This particular intellectual terrain has been extensively mapped in great detail, all that's left is repetition.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No, I type all of my posts up by hand, which is why it generally takes me forever to respond.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Some of us need repetition, Ben.

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    For a second I thought you were addressing Dark Disciple :oops:

You're absolutely right. Some people will embrace the NEU, some people will never embrace it. As long as every discussion doesn't turn into a discussion about canon and EU vs NEU we're all going to be fine.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd say that one would be for discussing EU material; this one for the principle.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Ben: I would say as well that some just need to be heard and understood without all the rebuttals and shutdowns. Some do not seek agreement but need the validation of acceptance. I speak from personal experience.

TKT likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that's kind of how I'd see the other thread operating.

The difference I'd see is the other thread has a declared purpose and audience / contributors, whereas this thread is far more an open-ended discussion thread that enables precisely those rebuttals and sense of getting shutdown. After all there's moving on from matters and the sense that the phrase is code for 'shut up'.

In short, all the positives without the negatives!

What would stop it being used to cover both Tim? I see no reason why it couldn't.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The hell it's not.

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Which no one at all has any right to say to anyone else, IMO. It's called the Right of Free Speech.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it's had quite a few variants over the years! Remember this one: "If you don't like it stop reading", translation: Stop reading and stop posting.

12. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Authoritarian regimes have (at least) one factor in common, Ben. They all want to stifle any visible sign of dissent from their Party-line.

13. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Bringing up authoritarian regimes is insulting to people who actually lived in one. Talk to me when Disney sends you to a labour camp.

Hyperbole doesn't help.

14. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    So much truth. The article screams of agenda writing to make Lucas look bad. We have zero context, and frankly it is not disrespectful for him to be so disengaged. The fact he is completely stepping out of it is one of the most respectful things he can do. The fandom treated him like garbage for long enough. Give the guy a breal.

As a side note, the movement has severely toned down theor high jacking every del Rey post with utter nonsense. I appreciate them for that, and suggest it is time for people on the other side to start listening as well, and at least showing a little respect.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  16. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Many of them have probably done all the complaining they want to do and gone on to other interests. I would imagine that after TFA (unless it is just a horrible movie) most of all this legends talk will be a distant memory.

Joe Kalicki likes this.
  17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    How is the market different now than it was then?

Having opinions that do not line up with your own does not make someone loud and obnoxious.

18. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Here's some interesting food for thought in this thread. Why is Star Wars Books on their official Facebook Page endorsing a Legends book here? Isn't it just cheap fanfiction to them? For a company all about the Disney sanctioned canon it seems unnatural...
    [​IMG]

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Cuz it's still a story they published. Just because something isn't "canon" doesn't mean Del Rey thinks it's worthless.

20. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    They're endorsing a product they made, like the good capitalists they are.

fett 4, Cynical_Ben and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

But assaulting irrelevant news items on social media with protest comments does.

As long as that persists, this thread will likely persist---even just out of pure curiosity.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The real question is, why are they endorsing The Joiner King?

/obviousjoke

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Which has nothing to do with what I was currently commenting on.

And I hope this thread does persist for a long while.

24. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

Sigh. And more "real fans" nonsense. It doesn't make you more of an EU fan than the next guy just because you won't read anything else. They need to drop that idea immediately. And then stop bombing comments sections like this, because it makes them look ridiculous.

Vthuil likes this.
  25. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Not really surprising. A bunch of considerate posts from people asking for more Legends being derided for it.

Unless some have been deleted, I didn't see any pro-legend commenters bringing up "real fans" stuff. But I do agree, the "real fans" argument is completely worthless (and I always fell an eye-roll coming on when I read it).

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.