main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    We were talking about Luke were we not? :confused:

2. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Is the bring back Legends movement still going on or have they given up yet?

3. Jedi Older Code

Jedi Older Code Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2014

They are too busy secretly reading Tarken right now.

Riv_Shiel, lookameatbag and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. JohnTK421

JohnTK421 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 26, 2014
    Yes, we are still going

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Waiting on the Marvel comic release?

Jedi Older Code likes this.
  6. JohnTK421

JohnTK421 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 26, 2014

I personally am not waiting for Marvel to reprint another companies works and slap there own name on it
    not sure about the rest of them probably going to keep on #BuyLegends

TrandoJedi and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You mean like DH did with Marvel's SW-comics?

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The two situations are not remotely analogous and you know that.

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One big difference there G: Marvel was paid by DHC!

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I thought that was obligatory when you reprinted others material, that was not old enough, did I miss a comment where Marvel would not pay DH if they reprinted their material?

No I don't.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not sure how you missed it, it was and remains a big deal. Particularly as the royalty deals DHC had with the creators of its SW material do not apply to Marvel, thus those who produced the material Marvel will be issuing in their Epic collections will not benefit from it.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh, I see. Thanks for the info.

13. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    While I can sympathize with the sentiment behind the movement, I have to ask: Isn't this case of too little too late?

Perhaps the ceasing of Star Wars product buying should have occurred with the blatant ignoring of continuity with the Republic Commando books?

Or if not then, then what about not watching Clone Wars when it began to ignore continuity, many times for no reason whatsoever other than the whims of Lucas or the writers? Perhaps then would have been a time to make a larger stink about the situation instead of happily applying continuity fixes for the writers and pretending nothing was wrong with how Star Wars continuity was being managed. If you could not see the writing on the wall then well...

heh the whole situation and how this eventually turned out if a nice microcosm of the greater problem of the power of willful ignorance and denial by humanity in many other aspects of life and how absurd it seems that only after a crisis hits will people start complaining. It's as if they never gave tacit approval to what was going on before the crisis by never speaking up and saying something. The truth is, I find it a bit hypocritical to speak up now and blame Disney for everything. After all, Disney and Lucasfilm were only encouraged to do what they did after gauging their audience and witnessing the lack of major negative blowback from the fandom whenever they whimsically ignored another bit of continuity.

It's too late. Making a fuss now only makes the complaining segment of fandom look petty and petulant. The best one can hope for is that some aspects of the old continuity survive in the new. Take better care of your franchise this time fandom and don't assume, that next time they start ignoring continuity, they're just going to stop at some arbitrary point and go no further.

Me. I don't mind. Lucasfilm lost me at NJO. I'm cautiously optimistic with this new start for Star Wars.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Sorry did you call the dumping of the EU a crisis?

15. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Heh, no. I just used the word crisis to describe the culmination point of a situation involving mass denial by those involved. Usually, the point at which everyone wakes up is a "crisis". In the case of the EU, it's the extermination of the old continuity. Certainly not a crisis as most would define it but it is a crisis to a segment of the fandom who devoted time, money, and emotional energy into the franchise.

I don't call it a crisis personally, I just couldn't think of a better "general" word to describe the culmination point I'm thinking of that encompasses all situations involving extreme denial on the parts of the participants. Should we call it epiphany point? Apocalypse point? You choose a word.

That being said, I do want to add a few things:

I am willing to give the new continuity a chance for a few reasons and not just because it expunges the New Jedi Order.
    The ignoring of continuity wasn't all the current crews fault. The most egregious incidents were egged on by Lucas himself who is not out of the picture. The Story Group seem to be making a genuine attempt at correcting the mistakes of the past. They are trying to retain as much of the old continuity as possible.

Second, they are not being ambiguous like Lucas. Lucas used to make statements about the Expanded Universe being an alternate universe while having a company that went out its way to maintain continuity. His statements were also not clear enough that they were immune to misinterpretation. The fact that the comics and books were under a label called "Expanded Universe" only encouraged said misinterpretations. After all, how could the EU be an a true alternate universe if it was supposed to "expand" that which was seen in the movies? Only at the end, when it was clear how the EU meant complete diddly squat was Lucas and the company clear that the EU held the same status as Star Trek novels hold in the Star Trek franchise.

The Story Group has not done a Lucas and has unequivocally stated that the books and comics would be canon from now on and on the same status as the films and TV shows. To me, that is a step in the right direction and goes a long way towards making things right. None of the new caretakers of continuity can go back in time and undo what Lucas did. I don't think they should be held responsible for bad policy decisions of the past that were out of their control.

As I said, fandom needs to be more vigilant this time around. It does have power. I've always suspected that the cartoons are successful, in large part, due to the faithfulness of adult Star Wars fans. The fact that Rebels had a slightly lower than expected ratings turn out makes me wonder if perhaps that isn't the result of a silent minority in the adult fan base that has been put off by the wiping away of the old continuity and has refused to come along for the ride. If I'm right, imagine that power being put into play before the Apocalypse-point instead afterwards when it's too late. :p

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The answer to your question lies on the Star Wars Book Facebook Page. The recent Heir to the Jedi headline has gotten similar treatment to the two prior new EU releases.

https://www.facebook.com/starwarsbooks/posts/10152996213288713

Joe Kalicki and V-2 like this.
  17. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Pages and pages of people complaining that the books they own no longer exist. LFL were ****s for exploiting these vulnerable people for so long. Disney set them free, they should be thanking them.

lookameatbag and Ender Sai like this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    A lot of lol @ those neckbeards.

19. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Continuing to go out of their way to interrupt and suck the fun out of the atmosphere for the rest of the fandom.

BigAl6ft6 and Ender Sai like this.
  20. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Not a problem, out of the whole thing I only watched about 5-10 episodes and didn't like it very much. Same goes for Rebels and the same will go for Episode 7, which I'll watch when it airs on TV but I have no intention of wasting money on getting the DVD, and I'll only be watching it in the cinema if I'm free at the time. No camping out the theatre and definitely not going for it at the premiere. I'm of the opinion that TCW, Rebels and this new Sequel Trilogy are unnecessary additions to the Star Wars franchise. It was fine with it's continuing set of novels, comics and games. Now it'll have a JJ'd Trilogy of 'look how much we hate the Prequels and love the Originals, we're just like you!' tributes instead of making a new story, games produced by EA, which may I remind you was only beaten by Bank of America in the 'worst companies of the year' awards for two years in a row, and books that won't matter and will either rehash overly done time periods like the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War or will just be minor 'add-on' novels to the new Trilogy.

I don't know about you, but Star Wars becoming just another cash-in franchise (I mean, it already has been one obviously, but it'll completely go down the generic Hunger Games/Marvel Movies route now) is much bigger than Lucas ignoring the EU and us ignoring Lucas. I can't wait for the 'tie-in' (pun intended) movies that are just 1-2 hour long trailers for the next actual Star Wars Episode. If you weren't tired of it already, within a decade, I think all of us will be tired of Star Wars, or rather, whatever Star Wars will have become at that point.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  21. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I will give you the EU gripe, but for many of us movies is exactly what we want more of. The books for me were a decent placeholder for what I really wanted. That and I like the idea of my kids getting to experincentives some of this kind of stuff on the big screen as wel .

22. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

Other than being exactly the same, of course.

Post after off-topic post designed solely to disrupt conversation. Sounds about right.

23. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I used to think as you do. Trouble is, films are a vastly inferior medium when compared to prose.

Look at the film adaptations of books - half the story cut away for lack of time and no explanation of actions in sight. Did the character act as he did though personal preference, for technical reasons or because of tactical demands? Only in prose does one get that sort of information.

Alpha-Red and Havoc123 like this.
  24. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

And luckily by the time the new movies come out most of them will be gone replaced by people who actually don't have their heads in the ground.

lookameatbag likes this.
  25. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Quite frankly they are just making idiots of themselves at this point. These EU people have acted so disrespectfully that their opinion is being easily brushed aside.

lookameatbag and Ender Sai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.