main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    They are not all that way.

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000

You're being ridiculous. Film and prose are different mediums. One is not superior to the other.

Space Jam is, in it's own special way, a wonderful film, but it would be an awful novel.

3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Thank you for telling me what I am supposed to like more. I would have been lost without this insight

Seriously though, perhaps I have different taste, and like both? Before this deal I was only getting books. Now I am getting books and movies. In the end my point remains the same, plenty of us are excited for this change and this going out of the way to poop on that excitement is getting incredibly old.

V-2 likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Books and Films have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Most film adaptations of books are bad in comparison to the books imo
    Film or tv adaptations can bring places to life that would only be in your imagination but they lose a lot of the minor details that make books that much better.
    Movies can only do so much.
    For better or worse SW is more than just movies imo. Movies, books, comics, games, tv etc. It is all SW imo.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Dark Horse got the license in 1991, began reprinting Marvel issues in 1999, Marvel hadn't been reprinting them or keeping them in publication in any way since the end of the individual issues being sold in 1986.

Marvel gets the license in 2015, immediately begins printing their version of Dark Horse stories that had been kept in circulation continuously for years. Including Marvel's very first Epic collection containing a story that Dark Horse most recently republished five months earlier.

Exactly the same!

6. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Technically, DH began reprinting Marvel in 1992 with Classic Star Wars/A Long Time Ago, but other than that, spot on.

It was a defunct series in a drawer somewhere, whereas Marvel began advertising their DH reprints while DH was still in possession of the license for several remaining months, selling their original versions. Tacky. They even announced it the day DH's last issue was published, which I do think was a good-faith attempt at reassuring news on a sad occasion but it backfired, at least around here.

Yes, reprints are better than leaving it OOP for eternity or dumping it onto Marvel Unlimited--but this sure reads like a corporate behemoth cashing in on a rival's IP at the absolute earliest opportunity. Also, since the content is owned by Lucasfilm not DH, Marvel isn't obligated to pay the creators royalties, which is apparently standard practice in such cases, but due to the timing it feels like insult to injury.

Side question: does anyone know who actually held the license between the end of Droids/Ewoks in 1987 and Dark Empire in 1991? Did Marvel still have it even though they weren't publishing, or did they just let it expire and left it in limbo til DH came around?

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I thought those early Classic Star Wars were the newspaper strip collections, and the Marvel stuff didn't start to get adapted until later?

Exactly. Marvel began advertising their collection including Dark Times Vol. 1 two months before Dark Horse was going to publish their final re-collection of the same storyline.

It was still Marvel, I believe, since Dark Empire was originally advertised by them back in 89/90.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    At least EU fans have a bone in that they can still collect DH and DR/Bantam material under Marvel and Disney. So fans can collect whatever they want to.

9. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    CSW also reprinted the film adaptations ... but other than that, you're right. [face_blush] I had conflated the six "A Long Time Ago" issues from '99 with the earlier ones.

The only excuse I have is that so much else came out in '99 that ancient reprints were only tangentially on my radar. [face_dunno]

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Classic Star Wars was an awesome read for me because it was a monthly fix of all the newspaper strips, that's some super-obscure stuff.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    Whaddaya know. I came upon this recap more or less coincidentally just now. Includes a scan of the original preview!

Barriss_Coffee and Gamiel like this.
  12. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Possibly not. But all those people who are spamming message boards with the crap that you see on that DelRey site are giving all EU fans a bad name. As people have said above the only thing they are accomplishing is keeping the people who are actually enjoying the new stuff from talking about it on the site.

The people who are doing the stuff that the EU posters on the DelRey site are doing just need to go away. Star Wars does not need them as fans anylonger.

13. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

Yep, pretty much exactly the same. New company gets the license, reprints old company's books.

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i am at least hoping that the eu quietly invades the new canon so that people hardly even notice it. i think they would be fools to deny it and reject it all.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I don't think that's unlikely.

I've always said the biggest loss with the EU was the worldbuilding. The naming of characters and species, the naming of planets, those sorts of things... I mean, thank goodness for TCW in that regard. The thing that sucks is waiting for confirmation.

That's why I kinda wish that, instead of dumping the EU, they can just shifted it downward into "sandbox canon" where it happened until something else overrides it, with absolutely no restraints or attempts to keep it canon. It would have created a better transition from the old method, but the problem then is the debate between fans about whether something has been axed by something else or not.

Valin__Kenobi and V-2 like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Seeing a fully-colored illustrated Blackhole on the cover of a mainstream novel in stores must be the closest I can come to feeling a kindred spirit with the oldschool comic Guardians of the Galaxy fans who never thought they'd see their random quasi-obscure comic on the big screen.

Huh! I never knew that! I had heard the rumor before years back, but didn't bother to investigate whether there was any truth behind it.
    It's strangely ironic that now the TCW/Rebels crew are our main driver for trafficking old EU concepts into new canon.[face_thinking]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Most film novelizations are objectively superior to the films themselves. Final proof that prose is the superior art form.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can you give some examples?

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    i will, Revenge of the sith had great writing, added great depth and clarity to the timeline, and characters. I rather read ROTS, then watch it again

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That is one, any more?

21. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Well AOTC is so horrible , the book is better by default .

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That is two*, can you give me at least eight more?

* That you prefer before the movie, I have not read them so I don't know.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Man's got a point! Let's all close up this "art" thing and concentrate on higher planes of pure thought-existence and so forth!

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Harry Potter novels

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.