main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed. That's what I mean by it matters how one responds as well. Sometimes it's best not to get entangled in the ceaseless debates and arguments. I have personally backed way off and I'm feeling a world better than when I was picked at over Tarkin or not being keen on Jedi nearly any time I dared post.

I get many don't agree with my stances. Almost no one understands them either. It's frustrating few even try. Some handfuls have and while most still disagree we are civil. Understanding of stances and their causes can be very beneficial. Assuming and the unwillingness to listen are huge blocks to treating each other well.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    A new Star Wars film hasn't appealed to me for a long time, since Lucas said there wouldn't be any more films and the EU through the NJO generally did a splendid job of picking up the slack. TTT, HoT, and the NJO are my ST.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm glad for you, Zeta. :)

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm thinking more that the story trailer will likely decide for a lot of people whether they wish to see it or not.

5. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The new canon just comes across to me as a pointless attempt at trying to replace the EU, when it doesn't generally need to be replaced at all.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

So I ask you again, do you like eating chicken feet?

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Do people really have to be so ideologically opposed that there can be only "one true Star Wars". It's a fictional universe! One fictional universe is not more "real" than anything else because the word "fiction" means that it's all made up!

A better way to look at it as opposed to one being more "real" or "meaning more" than the other is "These stories work in conjunction with the movies/TV and XYZ" (Legends) and "These stories work in conjunction with the movies/TV and ZYX" (New canon).

What drives me nuts is that one is "true" and one is "false" when that is literally impossible when you're talking about fiction, when ever single damn thing ever related to the universe of Star Wars can be absolutely defined as "false". One cannot be more real than the other because we're talking about stuff that does not exist.

Although, I did see a pro-Legends fan come up with the term "Disney's False Universe" or "Disney's FU" for short. Thought that was clever.

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    You're forgetting that the very concept of canon is that there is one true story.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

There is no and there can never be a "true" story because it's all not real. Legends is not more real than the new canon. New canon is not more real than Legends. Because none of it is real. Zip, zero, nadda.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The PT/OT/NJO book series/Legacy comics along with other EU content (as stepping stones to the next main part of the saga) are my PT/OT/ST/FT SW saga equivalent.
    Sorry/Not sorry.
    I will still enjoy the new stuff but the EU was SW for me. Hoping for just as exciting tales with the new content however.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you... praising Legacy, the comic?

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Its come full circle.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Ender Sai has expressed a less than favorable opinion of something I like! He has no place in the Star Wars fandom!

BOYCOTT ENDER SAI!

CT-867-5309, V-2 and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Well, not really. The concept of canon is a body of work accepted as authoritative and binding in some form by a body/people/organization. It literally has reference to a 'measuring stick'.

You will find many of religious faiths who might accept and affirm certain texts as canonical within their faith tradition, but wouldn't rush to define each and every canonical book's 'historicity'. It doesn't also necessitate that works found without the canon do not have value, or worth, or even influence on the canonical works, or bring assistance in interpreting them. It establishes a core set of works with a level of authority for that organization.

Lucasfilm, in going forward, is very wise to define a canon for the ongoing storytelling world across all media. Starting at a 'bare minimum canvas' is helpful.. But in a fictional universe, feel free to come up with your own personal canon, but don't expect others to feel bound by it. Especially not the corporation that owns and produces the material.

Gamiel, pepoluan, V-2 and 2 others like this.
  16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    What amazes me is several Story Group members can gush about the EU in that video, but they couldn't really reaffirm any of it as being a part of the ongoing story.

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    What's wrong with that? They're confirming that they're good, well-written stories, but decided to go in a different direction. At least they acknowledge it instead of ignore it.

pepoluan, BigAl6ft6 and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  18. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Pablo started writing for Star Wars twenty years ago, it would be weird if he didn't gush a little about something that's been a part of his life for two decades.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  19. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    About this whole 'SW fans should love all Star Wars', since the Prequels I'm honestly more of an EU fan than a Star Wars fan. When you look at Star Wars, without the EU, it looks very bland and not different from any other sci-fi franchise.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the prequels - but more for the novels, than the films - I read the prequel novelizations far more often than I watch the films, and I read all of them before seeing the films.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Don't see many other sci-fi movie franchises that smash together samurai epics, world war II combat movies, westerns, mythical epics, and hellova lot more. Even if they did, they're ripping off Star Wars who did it first anyway. Last thing I would ever call Star Wars as a film series is that it's "bland". It has too much of multiple genres stitched together in it's very fabric to be that.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU is what has kept SW alive for me in the years since ROTS and made the wait between the PT movies bearable. You don't have to like all of it but give all of it a try. Something you thought that you wouldn't like might surprise you. Movie-wise I prefer the OT to the PT. Still love the PT but prefer the OT. The EU has stories that are worse than the PT, stories on the level of the PT, stories between the OT and PT, stories just as good as the OT and stories that are better than the OT. All imo.

23. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    There are three films that I truly, deeply love, and regardless of quality I'm excited to see Hamill, Ford and Fisher back...
    ...that being said, I really don't want to see Abrams do a sequel to those movies, any more than I would want him handling a sequel to The Princess Bride or any other film I love.

Cheebo86 makes an interesting point, and if you'd asked me before the reboot if I'd ever not go see a new Star Wars movie, I'd say you were crazy.
    I've wanted that movie for so long. I followed the characters mature, age, have families; followed their children growing into adulthood and becoming ready to be the heroes of their own stories. I stayed a fan when quality suffered, or through long droughts of content, because I cared about these people, this world. Likewise, I don't really care about a bad episode, or even season of Doctor Who because the show goes on, the character I love is firmly established, and if it can get worse, it can get better.
    I watched as the film industry changed, as formerly "geek" franchises became mainstream, as hollywood starting adapting every book and game it could get the rights to and find a marketing pitch for. Even when Lucas said the ST would never happen, it seemed somehow inevitable.
    But now, that world is gone. Those people are gone, along with the moments and memories that make the main characters of any good long-running story so familiar and memorable, and a certain magic with them.
    The film I waited decades to see is never going to happen. Jaina won't be coming to a theater near me. I don't expect our heroes to be gambling aboard a red Star Destroyer any time soon.
    What I'm left with is a reboot/sequel to some classic films I loved by a director who did a similar thing to a classic show recently, with results I wish I could forget, and some sci-fi books by a publishing company that's mishandled things quite badly in the past.

I won't kid myself and say I'm sure I won't go see it. I probably still will, if only to see the Big 3 and the new actors. But to find myself in the position where I'm feeling this ambivalent about Star Wars freaking Episode Seven is kinda heartbreaking.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

He's not even real Ender Sai! No true Scotsman something something Disney

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I sort of understand where you're coming from, and I don't want to seem like I'm rubbing salt into a wound, but:

That's sort of on you, isn't it? That film wasn't ever going to happen. And it's not like anyone ever really made promises that it would.

To riff off your mention of Star Trek, what you're doing is like being sad about there not being a Captain Worf TV series: maybe it would have been a cool idea, but while fans might have talked about it it was never seriously considered as a thing that actually might occur.

V-2, Jedi Ben and Ender Sai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.