main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just wish that they could have gone that extra step and let the EU generation take on a threat without help from the OT crowd.

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    There's nothing pointless about the new canon or dumping the old. The whole point of dumping the old canon was to free the creators of the sequel trilogy, instead of forcing them to work within the confines of everything that happened in the EU.

It would have been incredibly lame (if not outright impossible) to create a sequel trilogy consistent with the EU. From the moment they announced the sequels, I knew the EU was toast. Took a while (and some arguing) for other people to get on board, but there was really no choice. I would have have the sequels than the EU, and the vast majority of fans share that viewpoint.

Pfluegermeister, Gamiel and V-2 like this.
  3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, of course it would have been lame to follow the post-NJO, and the NJO covers similar subject matter to what the ST will probably cover, but other than that, I don't see any point to the new canon.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Unless you mean at the most general level, you've a TARDIS you haven't told us about Zeta?

Gamiel and V-2 like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Of course I meant on a general level, I should have added probably to that to make it much clearer.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And thereby denied me a one-liner? Tut, tut....

7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    This is why my momentary sadness to not go went away quickly. This will not be a fun year to participate since this movements goal continues to involve going out of their way to ruin everyone else's enjoyment.

What I love even more is how one of the "leaders" was cla I ming on this thread a few months back that they were stopping their organized spamming posts yet when you go in their facebook page you can see they are still scheduling their "raids".

I wanted to have pity for these people since I enjoyed much of the EU as well. Now I am just ready for enough time to pass where they do not get what they want so they will leave the rest of us alone.

Joe Kalicki likes this.
  8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Are Bring Backers Star Wars Lit. Conservatives? Is that comparison fair? Irrational and implacable adherence to old ways and ideals, with no accountability, logic, or data to back their arguments.

9. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    That comparison is unfair to the conservatives I know.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Not only unfair, but it carries the potential of adding another layer of antagonism to a subject that has already divided the fan community quite a bit. It basically begs for the thread to devolve into the sort of contentious debate on American politics that is all too common on the Internet, and I can't speak for others here in the Lit forum but one of the reasons I immerse myself in Star Wars and its fan community is to escape for a little while from that sort of thing.

11. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    We already had that kind of thing creep in here with Moff Mors sexuality, we don't need more of it here.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Really doesn't make sense to compare us to a political ideology, considering we want a work of fiction that was discontinued to be continued and we don't care much for the new work of fiction that happens to use the same universe. There's no politics involved, really, just fandom.

13. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    So wishing to conserve the old continuity isn't conservatism?

14. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    No, because going by that analogy a true conservative would be happy with the Legends split being the be all and end all because the old continuity would be kept absolutely same and unchanging forever. People in this thread want the old continuity to continue to expand and grow. It's still a dumb analogy.

15. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Isn't that like saying a political or moral conservative should be happy with progress because it leaves their nostalgic ideals unchanged in the past?

16. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    GreenPeace wants to conserve the environment; they must be just like the Tea Party!
    I'm trying to conserve water during this drought; am I betraying my progressive ideals!?
    This train of logic is deeply silly, and trying to project political alignments onto unrelated issues in the fandom is trollish and unhelpful.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Imagine if everytime news about The Force Awakens was posted on facebook, most of the comments said, "#giveustheoriginalversions". That's what the give us legends movement is like.

18. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I think what you've done here is confuse conservationism with conservatism.

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You could make an equal argument that the opposite political assignation is just as valid, since they are essentially removing the extraneous development of the Expanded Universe and returning to a 'core' setting - mainly because, as others have mentioned, making a political analogy in this situation doesn't really work.

20. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Exactly. The way I see it, the original SW before the deep EU was conservatism as it stuck to a tried and true formula and even in the EU it took awhile for it to adapt and use new ideas, so the EU would be the progressive one. See what I mean? Trying to apply political theory onto a fandom doesn't really work, especially considering how broad the terms 'conservative' and 'progressive' really are.

Abadacus likes this.
  21. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    Really? Really!? I did?
    I thought I was pointing out that you were doing that.
    Huh.

To summarize for clarity: The political philosophy of conserving traditional social and religious values (as well as the various other political movements that have come to be grouped under that label in various countries, far overshadowing the strict literal definition), is in no way related to holding a personal opinion that any particular thing should be conserved (whether it be the environment, independent businesses, or a certain continuity within a franchise).
    Beyond that all I really have to say about the whole comparison is:
    [​IMG]

Riv_Shiel and blackmyron like this.
  22. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Conserving the old, low quality, unpopular and exploitative continuity would retard future development, hindering progress. You can't really compare those wanting to bring back the Legends to those trying to preserve the life support functions of the environment we live in. Nostalgia and resistance to positive change isn't Greenpeace's primary motivation, after all.

It's more sensible to view the EU as a form of narrative pollution; a literary ecological disaster poisoning the narrative habitat of the original films.

23. Abadacus

May 4, 2014
    You're really dead set on missing my point and overshooting by miles, aren't you?

Wait, those are my primary motivations? Wow. I didn't know. Thanks for giving me a heads up!

[​IMG]

24. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Oh the irony.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    To me it's kind of like bringing up an "O-OT or nothing" idea anytime the SEs or the prequels are mentioned. I've noticed that stuff for well over a decade now in Star Wars fan circles. Fan discontentment is nothing new. If it was so common pre-Disney, of course it will continue in the actual Disney era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.