main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I had that same thought, in regards to making a case to Disney/Marvel. But such an appeal can't be all rude and self-entitled. They don't owe us...poodoo. And the movement, a joke of a descriptor if there ever was one, has managed to turn off tons of EU fans who I am convinced would otherwise be supportive.

But I think adaptations AND new Legends stories are possible. Don't see why it has to be either-or.

I would say Spiderverse stuff is evidence of that possibility. And with the all new Secret Wars coming, everything Marvel is potentially fair game, as far as 616 cannon goes (who, by the way, IS the 616 Miles Morales?...it's driving me crazy!).

Pfluegermeister and Vthuil like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It's Bendis, you're never going to find out as in all likelihood, post-Secret Wars, Miles will be the 616 version!

DarthStymi likes this.
  3. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Heh...right? Yes, Spidey-Miles will soon be 616 Miles. But I'm guessing there will be an "original" 616 Miles too, and something will happen there.

OK, tangent...Miles is a great character, and his back story and cast of characters (Gahnke, his dad, Uncle, etc.) are part of what makes him a real and engaging character...and not a gimmick. I am worried the transplant will strip him of that.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, in that respect you have reason to be worried.

DarthStymi likes this.
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    'Their' meaning the MCU, not the individual shows. To put it in a less-confusing fashion, the animated series as part of the MCU Multiverse, as an animated Spider-Man showed up in the Spider-Verse crossover, and the old X-Men cartoon from the 90s has its own land in the upcoming Secret Wars. Even the novels are part of it - about the only stories that aren't appear to be crossovers with other properties, like Star Trek.

DC (despite numerous attempts on their part) doesn't really have a continuity; however, they do have strongly intertwining 'verses usually anchored by a particular author - like the Diniverse for instance, or Gaiman's Sandman universe which is technically part, or even the Arkham video game series; so they aren't really applicable to Star Wars' situation, in any case.

DarthStymi likes this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    About the small screen adaptations -- I think that's definitely possible. TCW did an adaptation of the Zygerrian comics. I can see certain stories or even certain aspects of plots making their way into the new EU, either as an intentional tip of the hat or because an old plot struck some writer's fancy.

Revanfan1 and DarthStymi like this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I am a fan of both and my reviews (here, and here) are pretty positive. Star Trek (2009) was shameless eye-candy, admittedly, but Into Darkness I think was no less intelligent than the show as a War on Terror satire.

Which is to say it was heavy-handed but its heart was in the right place.

Edit:

My personal theory is we're going to have lots and lots more variety in Star Wars than we ever had under George Lucas. The Anthology series with Rogue One is going to do a lot of stuff to expand on the Star Wars universe beyond the Big Three by giving us new characters left and right. I also see things like Rebels as shows which will give the public-at-large access to things which they mightnever have normally seen.

I don't think we'll see Grand Admiral Thrawn on the big screen but I think we'll probably see lots and lots of EU elements incorporated back into the literature and comic canon as we're already seeing with the current books. Also, it largely depends on what sort of guys get hired to do Star Wars and their fondness for the EU.

After all, Rebels has so far been one gigantic homage to West End Game's Star Wars RPG: ISB, COMPNOR, Inquistors, Lasban, the Kid Template with its super-slingshot, and plenty of other examples.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Charles, I'd rather see them do original material than half-heartedly incorporate EU material. We already had enough of it in CWAS.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  9. Stopmotionkai

Stopmotionkai Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2014

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, to each their own.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I actually liked Enterprise until I realized it stepped on details about Rura Penthe from The Wrath of Khan.

If Star Wars had multiple continuities, beyond Infinities, would agree.

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Amusingly, Star Trek had the policy there was NO continuity to its Expanded Universe.

Then adopted the Star Wars model.

o_O

13. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Too much to quote, but I'll try to answer what I saw in the last page.

Star Trek ''09 and Into Darkness were both rehashes of Wrath of Khan and Nemesis. If that's your gig, then I suppose you'll like this new Sequel Trilogy. I'm a big fan of progress in a franchise instead of stagnation. Sure, some things can remain, the EU maintained the old Empire, Jedi, Big Three etc, however it also introduced new things, like the Yuuzhan Vong, like the Lost Tribe of the Sith (one of the few gems in LOTF/FOTJ), everything in the KOTOR books. It expanded on so much, so it's hard to say that it's conservative when the biggest supporters of the ST and EU cancellation were the movie purists.

Fanfiction is a good option, but there is no reason why Disney can't give the Legends license to another publisher to continue. And no, I don't want it to continue a specific way. FOTJ tried to fix LOTF but it turned away from that, persumably any new author would get things back on track. I wouldn't have to tell him to do that. :rolleyes: It's common sense. Animated adaptations is also a good possibility for us Legends fans.

Abadacus likes this.
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Man, every time I think I can't get more baffled by how your mind works.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Let me put it this way, I like Enterprise, but I don't believe the events necessarily happened exactly the way they did in the show. I don't completely hate Enterprise, but it really is my least favorite Star Trek series and I actually like Insurrection and Nemesis.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Each Infinities book is a continuity to itself. And recently, the Jedi Academy series for kids, starring Roan Novachez, is setting up to be an Infinities series rather than a stand-alone.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    A few random Infinities storylines is not the same as multiple continuities that each tell their own story of the galaxy. Which is what Star Trek has, including the mirror universe that is a true alternate universe, the alternate prime universe that is the Abrams films, the Temporal Cold War in Enterprise, and numerous other alternate timelines with plenty of time travel to go along with it. Star Wars has never had anything like that, only a brief bit of time travel with the Harbinger that was a plot point for having the Omen end up on Kesh and some time displacement with the Cularin system and Kinnin Vo-Shay. What we have now with the Legends business is the only time Star Wars has shown any multiple universe traits similar to Star Trek.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I imagine the First Order and Resistance will be very different from the previous movies, even if they are a continuation.

19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Me too. But I don't equate progress-in-a-way-I-don't-think-things-should-be-progressing with stagnation, it's just things not going the way I want them too.

Star Wars never had multiple universes and time travel except all those times it did. Tag and Bink was another, continuing Infinities reality. And most parallel realities in Star Trek were one-off, I mean TNG's Parallels was Worf bouncing around a bunch of little one-off universes, (kinda like reading Star Wars Tales).

And the problem with Enterprise's "Judgement" isn't that it contradicts The Undiscovered Country, it's that it shamelessly rips off The Undiscovered Country. And if that's the issue, than "Precious Cargo" already came along and ripped off TNG's "Perfect Mate" and "Doctor's Orders" was a half decent episode when it was Voyager's "One." That sin is hardly unique to those episodes of Enterprise.
    Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis, Star Trek and Into Darkness were all based on Wrath of Khan's structure (very personal enemy for the captain, starship showdown (nebulae optional), ruminations on aging (optional), beloved character death (optional)) to varying degrees of success.

V-2 likes this.
  20. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Rura Penthe wasn't even IN The Wrath of Khan... :mad:

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Having a similar structure doesn't always constitute a rip off. Insurrection is my fave TNG film. :) Can't stand ENT though. About the only half interesting things in it were Shran and Soval.

22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    ENT was orders of magnitude better than DS9 and VGR, in my humble opinion. That ****ing theme tune though....

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Random Aside: I maintain one of Khan's Section missions was to blow up Praxis in order to cripple the Klingon Empire.

24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Orders of magnitude better than Voyager? Sure. Orders of magnitude better than Deep Space Nine? Meh...

But yeah, that ****ing theme song...[face_sick]

Vthuil and Darth_Duck like this.
  25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    TOS>DS9 >TNG >TAS >ENT >VOY Anything else is wrong :p

Enterprise's the sucked but the opening from those two Mirror Universe episodes was pretty good.

Havoc123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.