main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The "Bring Back Legends" movement -- good or bad for the fandom?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    Is it really consensus that the EU was "thrown away completely"? As far as I'm aware everything's readily available, being printed, much of it even in new editions and/or omnibus collections. It's not like they ceased publication or pretend it ever existed. Not to mention things are sneaking their way back into current stuff, so I'd say that notion is a tad dramatic.

Artoo-Dion and Charlemagne19 like this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    You assume fanboy logic isn't driven by hyperbole and desire to be oppressed by the Mouse.

3. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    Yes, of course.
    But, at least at the moment, there is nothing new.
    And no, I don't count the NEU books.
    To be honest, I already had a problem with books like Honor among Thieves and Razor's Edge, and even to an extent with Scoundrels, which now count as Legends, because they felt so oddly disconnected.
    That's not what I was used to, and it was not a good change.

Now, last Saturday, my curiosity got the better of me, and I went to a local bookstore and picked up HTTJ.
    No, I did not buy it, I took it to the reading corner at the store to take a look.
    Well, what can I say? My prejudices were confirmed. Good thing I did not spend the 27 €.
    Had it been an EU novel, I would have said, meh, okay, put it into the chronologically correct place on my bookshelf, grumbled a bit about the 27 €, and forgot about it.
    Now, I can be pretty sure every new SW book will be like that.

Edit: And it's fangirl. :p

4. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    I guess it's all good as long as you keep some sense of humor.

Oh well, I hope Aftermath or any of the other pre-VII books is gonna do it for you, Csillan_girl

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  5. Csillan_girl

May 6, 2003
    Well, I do realize that our discussion here ist just ridiculous outside of fandom (hubby always rolls his eyes when I get started about this topic, for example), but then, that's what makes you a fan - you care, one way or the other.

I still have some hopes for Tarkin, because I often heard that it still has the EU feeling.
    Luceno was never exactly my favourite SW author, but who knows, maybe someday, I'll just pick it up.
    Yeah, that will be nostalgia at work then. :p

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Frankly, from 2006 onwards, the best stuff, with a few rare exceptions, was found anywhere other than the Denningverse.

As to whether Legends was thrown away, I can see a good measure of justification for that. HttJ was clearly conceived as part of the Empire and Rebellion series, but now isn't. A planned close down of Legends would have avoided that kind of mess entirely.

It tends to always happen with reboots. Exec at Company X decides Line Z of product must reboot by time B. Invariably, ending by time B allows bugger all time to actually conclude the various plots and subsets of the line but the exec isn't going to give a toss about that. Some day, some company will do this and the world will be stunned but that day is not today.

7. Csillan_girl

May 6, 2003
    Well, to be fair, it wasn't only Denning.
    Don't hit me over the head with one of his books for saying this, but he did write some decent stuff; Star by Star was really good, as was Tatooine Ghost. Dark Nest could have been good.

And yes, that's what I meant, HTTJ would fit right into the Empire and Rebellion stuff if you did not put labels like Legends or Canon on them. But then, to me, it did feel like a planned close down that started with Razor's Edge and Honor among Thieves.
    Little standalones, nothing more.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Tatooine Ghost and Star by Star as well.

As far as Heir to the Jedi--not touching it, and not because it's NEU. Something I read here within the last few days confirmed my decision not to touch it; I'm on my phone and only have a few minutes so I can't do a thorough search but IIRC, the author has bashed the PT Jedi. That alone would not stop me from reading the book but I already was not interested in the content.

I'd rather judge the NEU by A New Dawn or Tarkin.

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Denning doesn't get enough credit for a very substantial bit of early EU world-building thanks to his work on WEG's Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races.

10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Wait anakinfansince1983 are you prejudiced against me because of what I've said about the PT Jedi?

V-2 likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Vader's redemption gets some criticism in Star Wars Insider Special Edition 2015, but not the PT Jedi - at least, not that I know of, in the novel or interviews.

Luceno and JJM have been known to criticise the PT Jedi now and again. In Dark Lord especially, and to a lesser extent in Labyrinth of Evil. I recall one or two sharp comments about the PT Jedi from Miller in the same Insider interview Hearne's comments about Vader were in.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Isn't that the sourcebook that claims like 90% of races prominently featured by the movies were discovered in Imperial times?

15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It appears so:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Guide_4:_Alien_Races

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Probably. I don't remember enough of it honestly. Given that the sourcebook was written from the point of view of an Imperial loyalist, though, I wouldn't be surprised.

More to my point, it's the book where many of the alien names, cultures, etc. that we take for granted were originally derived from, along with the original Star Wars Sourcebook and several of the other books in the Galaxy Guide series.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I like Dennings writing just fine.

I dislike that he decided that Jacen Solo needed to be killed and damned because of either a desire to subvert the movies or a disagreement with their premise on redemption.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think it was either of those reasons. It just made logical sense! :p

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Was it just him, or all three of them in consensus?

Aaron Allston's comments in the group interview in Star Wars Insider Special Edition 2015 - suggest a certain amount of distaste for the "redeemed Vader" concept - ending with:

"When someone says "Luke redeemed Vader" I ask "Really? What did he get for him?""

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I hate the emotional climax to the movies too, that's why I write fanfics about them.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    "His life and freedom for the galaxy."

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup.

Allston was making a joke on "redeeming coupons" at that point.

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wait... Comments from beyond the grave!?

(Yeah, I know the likely serious answer!)

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    To me redemption is badly underused and usually poorly handled.

As to Legends, it doesn't matter to everyone that the material hasn't 'disappeared'. It matters that now it's tainted for them. People constantly saying they have 'no cause' to be discontent isn't helping anything. Just because it doesn't affect some this way doesn't make those it does 'wrong'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.