main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Buffy Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by SySnootles, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Liz, I am so jealous!! It took me about three years to find others as interested in the Buffyverse as I am. Congratulations! And you're onto Angel, eh? And you've read descriptions of the eps? So you're a bit spoiled about certain characters? I shan't elaborate, but we'll have to talk when you're about half-way through season one.

2. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Buffy is not airing on 24 this week due to baseball. I went through the entire tv section of the paper, and it appears that it will not be shown at a different time, either. :(

3. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    Idaara - It was a rerun, though, wasn't it?

Catie, I'm well into the first season now (just finished 'Parting Gifts') and I must say, I'm really, really impressed. Why hasn't this come out in syndication yet?! And I forgot how much I really do adore Wesley, despite his lack of a backbone.

Mmmm. I think, after I get back from Ireland, I'll buy the season for myself, instead of borrow/stealing my friend's copy. Anyone for an "Angel" night, perhaps?

4. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Thank you for the very depressing heads up, Christine. The fact that the ep (which IS a repeat) doesn't seem to be airing at all this week does not bode well for the new ep which may be pre-empted later in May. I'm scared...

And Liz, so, where you surprised when that thing happened to that guy? (I don't want to be more specific, since we may have some potential fans who haven't gotten that far yet.) And just wait til you get to see Season Three and Four Wesley. Gggroooowwwll!!
    (That was supposed to be a kind of "turned-on" sound. Looking at it, it looks like I'm mad at him. Not the case.)

A television series generally doens't go into syndication until there's at least four complete seasons under its belt. That's because then there's enough eps to sell to a network to justify running it weekly. Unless it's sold to Sci-Fi. Then we'll just be subjected to it for two or three months, never to see it again (see: Automan).

I'm totally up for an Angel night. I didn't get obsessive/compulsive about taping that show until well into the third season, and by that time I knew the first season box set was coming out soon. But I'll offer up what I have!!

5. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    This just in from UPN 24 (I emailed them):

We are proud to be the home of great local sports programming
    including Milwaukee Bucks and Milwaukee Brewers games. However,
    we understand that preemptions can be frustrating to the most
    loyal fans of our UPN programming. We have devised a regular
    preemption schedule to ease that frustration. Please take note
    of the schedule information below and you will never miss your
    favorite shows.

Buffy, Enterprise, or WWF Smackdown when preempted will always
    be broadcast immediately following the sporting event.

:)

6. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Way to go Christine!! Thank you very much. That really sets my mind at ease.

7. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    They just better keep to their word.

8. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    *snort*

http://www.geocities.com/~lilyalomar/joss.html

Sometimes, fans really scare me.

9. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    All hail Christine, Goddess of Initiative.

(No, not THE Initiative).

Thanks!

Jason

10. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Yeah, 'cuz I know I don't want a bunch of paramilitary demon hunters worshiping me. ;)

11. A_New_HopeLily

A_New_HopeLily Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2002
    Ok! I just checked the Flashback Weekend site.. Anthony Stewart Head will no longer be there but, they're gonna have Danny Strong (Jonathon) and Tom Lenk (Andrew). Scott Schwartz is also gonna be there, but I have NO clue who that is. ??? Wanna fill me in on that one Cate?

Also, some questions have been answered in case anyone has been wondering.

FAQ

Q. When will single day convention tickets be available?

A. At this point, only weekend convention/concert packages are for sale. Any remaining single-day convention tickets will be available for sale at the door the weekend of the event.

Note: Single day tickets may not be available ­ if all available packages are sold, no single-day tickets will be available at the door.

Q. Will photo-ops be available with the celebrity guests?

A. Yes. A limited number of photo-op tickets are available for each celebrity guest. Each photo will be professionally taken, and an 8 X 10 will be sent to you. (WOO HOO!!!!)

Q. What are the prices for the photo-ops with Danny Strong, Iyari Limon, and the other guests?

A. A photo with Danny or Iyari is $30.00 plus $5.00 shipping and handling. The prices of the other celebrity photo-ops will be posted on the website shortly. Cash only (no checks, credit or debit cards) will be accepted as payment for the photo-ops.

I'm SO pumped!!!!

HBP,
    Cally

12. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Well, through very lazy research I found that Scott L. Schwatrz is a voice character in the Buffy video game. They're reaching, in my opinion. He was also one of the wresters in Spider-Man.

I was listening to the radio this morning, and I heard a promo for tonight's ep. The ep itself sounds interesting, but I found myself almost tearing up when they did the "For seven years, she's fought evil... Only four episodes left" build up for the end of the series. The final episode may not be as dry for me as I thought. :(

13. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    I know I'll be blubbering like an idiot. :)

I have to remind myself to tape the episode tonight. Yay for having a VCR of my own now!

14. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    The final episode can't be a tear free one...I teared up at the end of last night's.

15. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Oh Cally did, too. What a whopper! I almost got a little misty eyed with Willow and Xander in the hospital. I did not see that whole ending coming at all. Well, in retrospect, it makes a whole lot of sense. But ouch! Dawn with a backbone! Xander with the painful truths! Buffy, a woman without a country. And next week's episode? Sexapalooza! I just hope Dawn doesn't get any. That would be just wrong.

16. bwing53

May 7, 2002
    The best part of my Atlanta trip was Buffy last night. God, that was a good one. I welled up during the Xander/Willow scene. Something about it really resonated with me.

When I got off the plane, Mo was waiting for me. We hugged, swapped "I love you's" and "I missed you's", and then: WHAM! "What did you think of Buffy?"

Here's what I thought:

1) Buffy=Christ. It's a reach, I know, but there are some similarities (I apologize now if this offends anyone). She's a leader who has been cast out (forsaken?). Some people don't believe in her, even is she has worked miracles in the past. She leaves her "disciples" to Faith (appropriately named), instructing her to protect them and to do the right thing. She heads off, presumably to make peace, and there is no doubt she will return to do what she always does: save the world.

2) I'm 99% certain Anya, Giles, Xander and Willow are going to get "offed". They will regain their faith in Buffy, but I see them all dying for the cause. They all have a tired, weary look to them. Xander looks like he's ready for the last hoorah, and I'm fairly sure Willow is going to die protecting him and the slayerettes (and can't you see her walking off to the pearly gates, hand-in-hand with Tara?). I see Giles going down swinging, perhaps buying time for Buffy or Faith to get a "kill shot" in on The First (who I'm convinced is Satan). Anya? Expendable. She'll die for her man (I won't address the "teaser" for next week's episode). Plus, we know she isn't coming back on a spin-off or elsewhere.

Pardon me if that was depressing.

3) Again, Spike stole a scene. I was laughing hysterically at the "onion blossom" dialogue. I think Joss Whedon's gift for repeat and back-referencing is a huge part of what makes the show believeable. Just like in real life, some people never stop talking about certain things.

As an aside, Tuesday's USA Today had a really big cover story and full-page spread on Buffy, including Whedon's favorite episodes. I saved it, and I'll bring it to the next Buffy night.

OK, I've said too much. Can't wait for next Tuesday!

Jason

17. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Are you casting Dawn in the Judas Iscariot role, then? I thought that was a very interesting analogy, expecially considering that the last episode would be like Maundy Thursday, but without the Last Supper (count the days to Easter...).

Angel...am I the only one that didn't realize the season finale is next week? I was caught way off guard by that.

18. bwing53

May 7, 2002
    I kinda thought about Dawn as Judas, and the rest of the Scooby gang as "doubtings Thomas" (I know that's awkward, but it's grammatically correct). It all makes sense to me, but of course I haven't been to Sunday school in a while so it may not match up too precisely.

19. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Welcome back, Jason. It's good to see that Buffy has a very dominant position in your and Mo's relationship. ;) I can't wait to see the USAToday article!!

I like your analogy. I never thought about it like that. You can certainly make an arguement for the Buffy/Christ similarities. And I hope I don't offend you, but I really hope you're wrong about the last episode. Except for the Tara making a reappearance part. Yes, I know that would most likely mean that someone dies, but I just don't want it to happen. Although I can see Anya dying. Being the martyr she, in some ways, always has been. Only this time, for real.

Christine, I had no idea the season finale was that close, either! My head was still reeling with the guest appearance at the end of the ep. (I can't wait to hear your thoughts. Although I must admit I'm going to be nervous about talking Buffy/Angel at Libby Montana's.) And in speaking about last night's ep in general, holy cow! Nice offing of Jasmine, there. And some great stunt work in the street fight. I loved the way the street lamp played a small, but well placed role. And was anybody else really creeped out by Jasmine with blue eyes? I think that's worse than maggot-Jasmine. And I'm glad Cordy hasn't been eaten.

In the bigger picture, last night's Angel did have some interesting moral and philosophical discussion fodder. Is it morally acceptable to destroy the lives of a few thousand in order to bring about a near-Utopia for billions? Was the price really too high? How many lives are worth sacrificing? How important is free will?

There. I've given you a topic. Now discuss.

20. bwing53

May 7, 2002
    Well, I can't speak to that topic (I'm only halfway through season 1 of Angel, and thus will not be viewing the current season, as is my S.O.P.), but I stand by my killing-off-of-the-scooby-gang philosophy. I just don't see it ending well for the gang that has dedicated itself to saving the world. I don't think they could emotionally survive watching their friend die a third time. I hope I'm wrong, too, because I'd love to see a spin-off or reprised roles on Angel for these characters that I've really come to appreciate and, dare I say, love. It should be VERY interesting to see how this plays out.

And for the record, Catie, you'd have to really work hard to offend me. I'm very un-American in that I'm not easily offended by trivial things.

Jason

21. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Okay, we do all understand that for the series to end, Buffy has to die, right? And it can't be by magical means. Something mundane has to do it so she can't come back, again. I don't know if the whole Scoobie gang has to bite it, though, Jason...I'm having a bit of a hard time with that thought.

22. bwing53

May 7, 2002
    I know--I'm just bracing you for it, if it DOES happen. I'm sure Joss Whedon will not fail to surprise us.

23. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    Honestly, I think she won't die, per say...sacrifice herself, yes, but dying a third time? No, Joss has done the "lets kill Buffy again durring this season finale" bit too many times. As for the Scoobies...I forsee Xander biting it, as well as Anya. Those two have to go down together. Faith may or may not, depending on the fact that Eliza is comitted to another show next year. Willow and Giles will most likely live, if only for the random guest spots on Angel (Willow and Giles) and the possible, but still unsure BBC spinoff (for Giles). Dawn will most likely die as well, but how I'm not sure. As for the potentials...well, who knows? For all we know, Joss could kill everyone and have the First and Caleb take over the world. It's all up in the air until the 20th.

But who knows? I could be completely off. It's just my opinion.

On the other hand, I have to tape every episode and watch it later that night, seeing as how I got scheduled to work the next three Tuesdays. Grrr. (Argh)

24. TwistyMaeSkywalker

Nov 3, 2000
    ARGH!

Neither the note left on the television, the phone call at 6:50pm, or the programmed VCR managed to make my dad remember to tape Buffy for me last night. So, of course, I missed the whole thing.

Does anyone have last night's episode on tape that they'd be willing to let me borrow before next Tuesday?

25. bwing53

May 7, 2002
    Done. I can drop it off at the library, or you could pick it up at Drews. Give me a time and place.

And of course I have to work next Wednesday night, so I'll have to watch that new episode on tape, which kinda irks me...

Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.