main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Buffy Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by SySnootles, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    The intention of this get-together is to do whatever we want. If we were all experienced Buffaholics, we could watch our favorite episodes, story acrs and plot lines. But, since many of the people who are planning on attending are not terribly familiar with the show, it makes sense to me to watch from the beginning. The series constantly touches on episodes past, and character development is very important to the proper appreciation of the show. So my vote is for "From the Top."

I don't mean we'd have to watch every single episode from each and every season in order. Honestly there are one or two episodes that aren't up to the Buffy standard to which I have become accustomed. Each and every episode has it's golden moments and quotable lines, but the overall tone can be blah.

Again, the first two episodes are a must. After that, it's up to you guys, cause, you know, I've seen them all once or twice.

2. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I am so able to come on November 30th and 3pm is fine with me. Thanks Tom for mentioning the book club! I am so excited for this. Give me directions and I am there. I will bring snacks(left overs from Thanksgiving perhaps). I will probably be just getting back from a trip to Indianapolis but I don't care (all my relatives live there). It's Buffy!
    I missed giving my favorite character from the series so I will post it now. It is Spike. I know that he is bad but underneath it all there is a good side to him. Sorta like the whole Darth Vader thing.

3. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    I was in Barnes and Noble recently and they have BtVS books and even a Sunnydale high school year book. Just wanted to mention this to anyone who would be interested in this.

4. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I'm giving my formal regrets on not being able to make the first official Buffy party. The 30th is my nephew's 5th birthday, so I will be in Eau Claire for the weekend. I'll try to make it to (or host) the next one.

5. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Great LG! I'm glad you're able to come. My place is very easy to find, and I love mashed potatoes. :)

As for the books, <tucks her head into her chest and meekly says> I have the Sunnydale High Year Book. It was an impulse buy and it was on the bargain table for less than $5. How could I not pick it up?!? I also have both Buffy Watcher's Guides and the Angel Guide. Helps a lot when you can't think of a particular plot point and can't get online to check out Buffyguide.com. I have read only one original novel (These Our Actors -- it was okay) and thanks to Idaara, will be working on my second novel shortly. Speaking of which...

I'm sorry you can't make it Christine. :( But I'm sure they'll be plenty more. Definitely next time. Maybe season three will be out by then!! Doppelgangland all the way!!!

So by a very quick unofficial count, we have fourish, maybe sixish coming. No problem. I just want to know how many inflatable chairs I'm going to have to blow up.

6. SkyJammer

SkyJammer Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    The 30th, eh? Well, as of now, I don't think I'm busy, but that could change on a moment's notice....

Favorite character: Probably Xander, since he most represents my personality -- a bit of wit and sarcasm, wanting to help out, kinda feeling helpless at times.

As far as Buffy books, don't have any yet. I'm gonna pick up the book about "Once More With Feeling", though; that's a given. I so love that episode. I've listened to the official soundtrack countless times (you can see my long review of it at the URL in my .sig) and right now I'm listening to the entire show's audio track on CD. I just wish I knew what I did with my copy of it on tape. I so want that on DVD....

As far as this week's episode, well, I found part of it funny, part of it kinda creepy in a stalkerish way. But the whole ending really turned me off. I thought the direction was rather poor, as I didn't think it was clear exactly what was going on, and it looked rather fake to me.

I'm curious as to when we're going to see movement on some of the plot threads introduced early in the season. Hopefully during Sweeps Month, because in December, it's gonna be rerun city....

-SJ

7. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Wow SkyJammer! Great site you have there. And Hush was your first episode? No wonder you've stayed. Your review of the OMWF soundtrack was spot on. And the real-time review of "Selfless" was hilarious. I'll have to check out other reviews when I get the time.

Last week's ep, "Him," was a bit uneven, and a bit off. Yet for some reason to me, it was a great example of why I love this show. Quirky, great dialogue, inventive action. The bazooka scene outside of Principal Wood's office was an instant classic. And that four-way split screen with the '70's whick-a-chacka whick-a-chaka music was priceless. Campy, but not. I still loved it. And am anxiously awaiting next week's ep. November sweeps, here we come!

8. SkyJammer

Dec 4, 2000
    Thanks for the kudos, Sy. Glad you like the site.

And yes, the scene outside of Wood's office was the best part of the ep. If it hadn't been done from the POV of Wood, it wouldn't have been effective at all. But it was just perfect. And yes, the split-screen was also good, as my soon-to-be uploaded RTR of "Him" will show.

I'm a bit unsure what next week's ep will be like. "I see dead people" just brings to mind "Sixth Sense" and "Haunted". Hopefully it will be good.

-SJ/Who went into "Sixth Sense" completely spoiled, darn it. But at least I got to watch it once with people who weren't, so I could see their reaction.

9. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Okay, nevermind. Take me off of the list as going to be there and put me on the not a chance in hell.

m

10. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Whyfore?

11. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
  12. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Cause I thought I was going to be able to make it but now...I'm not because of prior commitments that I'd forgotten all about..

m
    :)

13. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    Oh... So it's not based on personal hatred?

14. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
  15. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    Allow me to explain. When you posted that you weren't coming to the event, it seemed rather harsh. As though you had been overtaken by madness and wanted to eat our souls. But now it's okay.

Jeff

16. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Well, I still want to do that but only because I have to earn my way through hell. It's not easy easy being a minion of satan you know, it's just work work work...

m

(This is a joke, this is only a joke, had I really been a minion of satan I would have started you all on fire while you typed at your keyboards)

17. bwing53

bwing53 Jedi Master star 3

May 7, 2002
    Please watch the sarcasm and flippancy when refferring to hell, Marcy. Some people out there worship satan and we don't want to offend anyone by dragging religion into these boards now, do we? [face_devil]

I also thought you weren't coming based on some sort of hatred, but I thought it was because you had seen a Buffy episode that just outright offended you, or some such. Then I remembered that nothing offends you!

Jason

18. SkyJammer

Dec 4, 2000
    No spoilers about tonight's episode. Just one comment.

Oh my.... Talk about turning the season on the proverbial ear. Totally unexpected, and man did my friend and I have a lot to chew on in our RTR, which is now online at my site. Fastest I've ever gotten a review posted.

-SJ/Still not sure what to think about the whole thing, other than "Boy did I get what I wished for!"

19. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Good Heavens yes! What an episode. I'm still reeling from it. All I can say is WOW. No spoilers, but "Mother's milk is red today". That still creeps me out fourteen hours later. The whole Dawn scene has to be the scariest scene ever shown on Buffy.

Marcy, you will be sorely missed, but we'll have to make sure you can make it to the next Buffy-thon.

I'm off to read SkyJammer's real-time review. Then watch the episode again. Just, wow.

20. Bishop76

Apr 1, 2002
    I guess I'll be the only one to go on record then as saying I wasn't all that impressed last night. In the effort to avoid spoilers, I'll just point out what I did/didn't like about the scenes:

Dawn scene - Didn't like it that much, but some of the imagery was very cool. Especially the couch flashes.

Buffy scene - Seemed like filler to me, but I still thought it was very funny.

Willow scene - Bored stiff by it until the very end, then I thought it was pretty tight.

Spike scene - Liked it, but saw it coming.

Overall, an 8/10 for me.

Sorry ;)
    Jeff

21. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    No need to apologize Jeff. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As WRONG as it may be. (j/k)

22. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Ooo -- just picked up on a little gossip. Well, I guess it's not gossip per se.

If you haven't seen this week's episode -- "Conversations With Dead People", then consider this your SPOILER ALERT

Apparently Willow was supposed to be visited by (what she believed to be) the ghost of Tara herself. But Amber Benson refused to appear in this capacity. According to the studio they couldn't come to an agreement over money. This just didn't sit right with me. That explaination isn't in sync with the Amber Benson we all know. (I don't sound stalkerish, do I?) Now I come to hear that Amber is very protective of the character of Tara and felt that Tara coming back in this "role" would be too painful for the Willow/Tara fans. So she didn't do it. That, my friends, is integrity. At least in my eyes. Kudos to her. Standing up for what she felt was in the best interest of the people that really matter -- the fans.

For the record, I agree with her. Being a W/T fan, I would not want to see the last interaction of these two characters being Tara as the Big Bad and Willow that much more heartbroken.

Whether or not this tidbit of information is true, I don't know. But I want to believe it is. It's kinda nice to think that some people out west know why they do what they do. It's for us.

23. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I'd love to know where you get your information. Thanks for sharing that! It makes much more sense now...

24. SkyJammer

Dec 4, 2000
    Again, no spoilers. Just posted my review of "Sleeper", and I gotta say, I loved the action, I loved plot lines being advanced, and that ending better not happen the way it was set up!

-SJ/Will be extremely mad if it does.... but how could it not?

25. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Well, I have to say I'm on the fence about this last episode. I, too, love seeing the plot advanced. And I really like the basic plot of this season. Thematically I thought it was a wonderful ep. But then there was the writing. The script was, how shall I say, bluh. It was mostly flat. And downright awkward in places. Not very well done. I didn't catch who wrote this one, but I'm thinking it wasn't a regular. Even the acting wasn't all there this week. Maybe I was just in a bad mood. I don't know. But I loved the Anya/Spike scene. So I guess it wasn't just me. Overall I'll give it a 7/10.

And Idaara, I keep forgetting to let you know that I get my Buffy info from one of two sites. I can't remember which one I saw that little tidbit, but it was either on buffyguide.com or The Kitten, The Witches, and the Bad Wardrobe board. I can't recall the real url for that one, but I'm sure a google search will land something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.