main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Buffyverse Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by RainSolo, Sep 1, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Loved Buffy. Didn't think I would. I decided to break down and watch it after, 1) the praise it had been given and 2) Whedon was going to directing AVENGERS. I figured I'd watch some of his work. Let me add that I'm a 25 year old male by the time I begin this journey.

FIRST SEASON SUCKED. I can say that now. When I first saw it I liked it for what it was. I figured I'd give it credit for being okay. Maybe I was just being kind since I wanted it like it better than I did. Zander got on my nerves. There are a few good episodes like the Angel episode and he Dummy episode. However the best episode of the entire first season has to be it's own finale. A perfect episode in my opinion. Just great all the way through. It's the episode that got right to the core of what Whedon was trying to say with this series. Probably one the best performance of Buffy by Gellar in the entire series if you ask me. The only time I actually felt for her. That episode was enough to have me hooked to jump right into the second season.

Season 2 was an instant improvement. Stories were better, acting was better, better villains, and of course the dark Angel Saga. Just really good and compelling TV. It has a few iffy episodes, but other than that it was pretty great all the way through.

Season 3 was pretty much about as perfect as the show ever got. Everything worked, and IMO the Mayor is still the best Villain of the show. He was so much fun. Wesley was a great addition too.

Then we go to Season 4. This should have been great. These were the college years, so much potential. It wasn't horrible, there was some good stuff. Spike became a regular, but we lost OZ. Yet at the same time we got Anya and Tara. And I don't hate Riley. I knew what kind of character Riley was supposed to be, and thus got why he was there. Main story was all over the place, and never really clicked. The beer episode and the sex episode during the college party have to be some of the worst of the entire series. Silent episode is a big winner for the season though.

Season 5 things get back into focus. Lots of good stuff here. Better villain, and one with a nice little twist. Lost of stand out episodes. Dawn was perfectly fine with me, and a great idea on top of that. Season may be a little overrated now, but it was definitely a breath of fresh air after Season 4, and would have been a good ending if the show had been cancelled.

Season 6 isn't that bad. When I think of it, I think of the big missed opportunity it was. IMO, I think Buffy should have been the big bad of the season. I think it would have gotten the whole depression thing over better. Way I see it things get to much for Buffy and she just loses it, and becomes an Evil Slayer. Worse than Faith. The 3 morons get dealt with earlier in the season, and it goes from there. Willow still goes bad, as does Anya. That way in the end it's 3 Evil Big Bad ladies. Lots more possibilities for great story's I think than what we got.

Season 7 was good, but a little annoying. Great idea, but it got a little long winded. Buffy is at her most annoying as a character here. In all honesty it was more the supporting cast instead of our main hero that made the show, I think. Glad Andrew become a regular. Good season, not great. Finale was great though.

So all in all a pretty great show. One of the few I binged on Netflix. STtill took me about 3 months to get through it, but it was worth it. Made me a big fan of Whedon too.

Angel I've only seen the first Season of. Didn't really think much of it. Wasn't bad, but hasn't made me want to check out season 2. I did find it interesting the big change Wesley goes through right in the middle of the season. The transformation just happens pretty much. When he jumps in he's the same old goof ball he was in season 3, and then just a few episodes later he becomes way more serious character all of a sudden. I guess they figured Cordelia was more than enough comic relief. I know the series apparently gets better when Gunn and Amy Acker become reg's, but I just haven't gotten the energy to jump into it yet.

Really isn't until the second season of a Whedon show that everything really starts to click.

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    right around the time the show was ending FX was already re-running it and i watched it all the way through. Angel too. i liked it, i wouldn't necessarily watch it again.

RainSolo likes this.
  3. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I watched Buffy when I was a teenager and really enjoyed it. I never got around to watching Angel though. One if my favorite parts was Spike watching that soap opera with Buffy's mother.

RainSolo and TX-20 like this.
  4. RainSolo

RainSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2015
    Spike had some great moments in Buffy and Angel, particularly when he had the chip, he was given some of the best comedic stuff on the show. (The episode where everyone loses their memories and Spike thinks he's Giles was comedic genius!).

I guess I prefer Angel probably because I prefer the characters. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the Buffy characters also, but characters like Angel, Cordelia, Wesley, Doyle, Fred and Gunn were just much more compelling IMO. I think another reason I gravitated more towards Angel was because it didn't have the same Big Bad narrative as Buffy did. Buffy had some great villains (Angelus himself being among the best), but some just missed the mark, Angel had a constant antagonist in Wolfram and Hart which I really dug. But yeah, I kind of see both series, despite their differing tones, as one big super series, and I think the narrative flows best when its treated as such.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He didn't think he was Giles; he thought he was Randy, and Giles was his dad.

Healer_Leona , TX-20 and RainSolo like this.
  6. RainSolo

Aug 31, 2015
    Oops, I somehow omitted the word "son" :p Yeah he was great as Randy Giles!

"Randy Giles?! Why didn't you just call me horny Giles or desperate for a shag Giles?!" =D=

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Forgot to mention the video games.

Eh. I think it was fine as is. Going different was a smart decision. Especially with the theme that everyone has to grow up and deal with the pressures of the real world. And the Trio being the focus gives the show a more grounded villain since Warren was just a pathetic individual who lost touch with reality. A frightening example of real evil, even though he is just ordinary. It's easy to have the typical Big Bad be someone like Angelus, or the Mayor. They're master planners and they wear their evil on their sleeve. With Warren, the evil is that he becomes more and more pathetic and creepy. When he debuted in "I Was Made To Love You", he was just pathetic. By the time of "Flooded", he's just a loser who has ambition but you could still laugh at him a bit. Then in "Dead Things", we now see the natural evolution of his debut when he mind controlled Katrina. The true nature is revealed is far more powerful than Buffy acting like Faith. With Buffy acting evil, it would feel hollow even for her. With Warren being a scumbag, we see something that's real and frightening.

Hogarth Wrightson and RainSolo like this.
  8. RainSolo

Aug 31, 2015

I'm sort of in the middle ground. I dug what Whedon was trying to do with season 6, and I was onboard for the most part, and I do agree that Buffy should not have turned evil, we already saw that with Faith and it was more powerful with Willow going bad. I did find the whole depression about living in the real world thing a bit tedious after a while though, I thought Buffy began to come across as whiny, and I wasn't the biggest fan of Xanders arc either, and that soured my viewing experience. Also, less Giles is never a good thing (I know he was still around a lot, but still, his absence was more than noticable). I still enjoyed the season on the whole, an it has some of the best episodes in the entire series, but it was inferior to the rest of the series on the whole IMO.

TX-20 likes this.
  9. RainSolo

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm curious to find out who everyones favourite characters were?

I pretty much love everyone, but Cordelia, Spike, Drusilla, Doyle, Angel/Angelus, Anya and Giles are probably top of my list.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Krevlornswath of the Deathwok Clan.

11. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Spike, Dru, Giles, Wesley, and OZ are probably at the top of my list.

12. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Willow, Spike, Buffy, Giles & Tera were my favorites.

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    BtVS is still my all time favorite series. So much to love, not perfect, but a bright light in good tv and above all bonding with my daughter over it.

Season 1 - intro to the characters. Getting to know Buffy, the Scoobies, learning buffyspeak was always fun to me. My 11y/o daughter loved it and we discussed the episodes which I saw a reflection of real life. Sadly, right off the bat, I was less then impressed with Angel and knew where that was going from the start.

Season 2 - I tend to like monster of the week episodes, so this provided much satisfaction. Xander was proving more annoying every episode for me Angelus, Dru,and Spike, ohh yeah.

Season 3 - This is my favorite season. Mayor Wilkins was the most fun villain in the series. The intro of the alternate buffyverse with vampire Xander and Willow, Faith. Lots to love

Season 4 - Buffy becoming little fish in big pond, it was ok. The Initiative, I liked, Riley, not so much. If I ever get to meet Joss Whedon, I must ask, Season 4 - Episode 22 - Restless The cheese... WTF? lol Hush, whoa...

Season 5 - Hating Dawn was meant. I think I fell for Spike in this season. The Body. This deserves a " I can't even..."

Season 6 - Once More With Feeling and Tabula Rasa, television at it's very best.

Season 7 - I still don't know if I like the Potentials, but I will always love Buffy.

14. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013

Cordie, Giles, The Host (I'd rather watch a high school production of "Cats". Priceless!), Angel and Spike. I love how Angel let loose in his series, rather than just being the broody love interest for Buffy. He and Cordie really shined after they left Sunnydale.

I decided to stop seriously watching Buffy after season 3. It was the perfect place to jump into Angel and I just wasn't interested in the post-high school stories. Not to say I didn't watch a few (OMWF was too good a premise to miss), but, to me, the show's backbone was the "high school is hell" theme. Change that and you have a different show. I also stopped watching Angel around season 4. I'm sorry, but the Connor/Cordelia thing was just too disturbing (and nearly ruined Zoe from Firefly for me to boot). Spike would have been a good incentive for me to start back up, but I found Angel and Co. suddenly working for W&H a wrong narrative turn.

RainSolo likes this.
  15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  16. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    My favorite line from the entire Buffy series was: "If the apocalypse comes, beep me." That's so Buffy Summers. :p

RainSolo and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  17. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Totally. She's so awesome. Do you remember the episode with Spike and Buffy where the native American guy turned into a bear and Spike freaked out at her?

"A bear?! You made a bear! UNDO IT. UNDO IT."

18. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I don't remember that episode.

Now, do we count the original Buffy movie as part of the Buffyverse? Kristy Swanson, Donald Sutherland and Rutger Hauer (plus Pee Wee Herman :p ).

19. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That wasn't the one with all the singing was it?

20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

The episode? I don't know, but I never saw the episode "Once More With Feeling." As for the movie, I don't remember any singing in it.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

No. However, Whedon considers the comic adaptation by Christopher Golden to be canon.

[​IMG]

RainSolo likes this.
  22. RainSolo

Aug 31, 2015
    Yeah now that you mention it, the school setting was one of the best things about seasons 1-2 of Buffy. And I completely forgot to mention Lorne/The Host! Such a great character, and hilarious to boot! I agree about Angel too, I wasn't his biggest fan in S3 of Buffy because of his constant moping, but they used his brooding to great comic effect in Angel. I actually think Angel is the more comedic of the two series, despite it often being darker too.

This guy was epic! "Do the dance of shame!" Classic! I loved those few episodes at the end of Season 2 of Angel, they were some of my favorites!

Jedi with a TARDIS likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    "That guy" is Joss Whedon.

24. RainSolo

Aug 31, 2015

Really? I'm actually kind of disappointed in myself that I didn't know that, but that's awesome! Gotta love good ol' Joss! :p

25. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013

Ah! I was really hoping somebody'd post a GIF from that episode! Some of the best humor from either series. I also love Angel constantly bringing up the fact that he can walk in daylight. "Can we just not appreciate how much fire I'm not on?"

RainSolo likes this.