main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Burden of Duty - Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan - all dialogue challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: The Burden of Duty
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Summary: Obi-Wan is faced with the reality of being a Jedi. Not necessarily canon. :p
    Notes: Written for The Dialogue V Description Challenge on the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon thread.

The Burden of Duty

?I killed him.?

?To save innocent lives, Padawan.?

?Does that really matter, Master? I still ended the life of a sentient being.?

?Of course it matters, Obi-Wan.?

?It doesn?t feel like it matters.?

?It is good for a Jedi to mourn the taking of a life, even when it?s necessary.?

?But was it necessary, Master? And how will I ever know for sure??

?Doubt is natural, Obi-Wan. But I am your master, and I assure you that to have done anything else would have been a greater wrong. Can you not trust me in this matter??

?It feels wrong somehow. Not the trusting of you, Master, but the taking of a life.?

?He would have killed many if you had not stopped him.?

?Please?don?t sound so sure of yourself, Master!?

?You?re overwrought, Padawan. Perhaps you should meditate for a time?find your center of serenity.?

?I?m not sure I can, Master. I don?t know if I?ll ever feel peace again. I?m not sure if I want to.?

?You did what you had to do, Obi-Wan. No more, no less. Just what was necessary. The life of a Jedi is difficult, for many reasons. This is one of them, the knowledge that we have the ability to take life, and that sometimes we must do so in order to serve the greater good. We must also live with the responsibility that comes with that, hard as it is to bear at times.?

?You make it sound so simple, Master, like I?m a child who simply doesn?t see the truth yet.?

?You are young, Padawan, though this is anything but simple.?

?Now you?re contradicting yourself.?

?Or maybe you?re just not listening.?

?I always listen to you.?

?You always hear me, for you are an obedient Padawan, but you do not always listen, for you are still human?and young. It is a flaw, but not a failure. And one that I share, though I am far from young. But old age can blind us as well, block our minds and hearts from that which we do not wish to acknowledge. So we share our faults, Obi-Wan, and we must each strive to do better.?

?I?m not in the mood for one of your enigmatic lessons, Master.?

?You are my Padawan, so it is your duty to learn when I am ready to teach.?

?As always, you are correct, Master.?

?I shall ignore the sarcasm in your words, Obi-Wan. I know how trying today has been for you, so I shall make some allowances for your inappropriate behavior.?

?I?m sorry, Master, it?s just that??

?Ah, Obi-Wan, I know you mean nothing by it.?

?Still, it was not proper of me. My apologies, Master. I feel most out of sorts.?

?Obi-Wan, do you think me unfeeling? Of course, you are out of sorts. Your heart aches for a life you had to end, and yet your head tells you that there was no choice. And that knowledge weighs on your soul.?

?Perhaps I am not meant to be a Jedi.?

?You are not meant to be anything else. If all Padawans were as obedient as you-?

?I am not always obedient.?

?You seek to do what is right at all times, Obi-Wan. That is an admirable quality in a Padawan, it will be magnificent in a Knight, and it will be invaluable in a Master.?

?Master?I??

?Hush now, and accept the praise you have been given. For they?ll be no more of it for a long time.?

?I must bow to my Master?s wisdom.?

?Wipe that grin from your face, Padawan.?

?Consider it gone, Master.?

?Obi-Wan, what you did today? Well I will not lie to you and tell you it is the last time it will happen. The brutal truth of it is that as a Jedi, you might have to end many lives?or stand by and watch helplessly as other lives are destroyed.?

?How can you bear it, Master??

?It?s the life I have chosen, Obi-Wan, and I will not dishonor it by shirking my duty simply because it is painful.?

?I do not mean any disrespect, Master.?

?No, Obi-Wan, I know you do n

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Beautiful, absolutely beautiful =D=

I could hear Obi-wan and Qui-Gon say each of those lines. Poor Obi for having to take a life [:D] and thank the Force Qui-gon is sensitive to his padawan's needs.

Great job =D=

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    That's Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan not wanting to take a life is so like him.

Great response.

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Oh, poor Obi!

I'm glad Qui-Gon was there to help him cope with the painful reality being a Jedi can sometimes bring.

He still needs a [:D], though.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Lovely, you show that Qui-Gon knows Obi-Wan so well, and they make a great
    team=D=

6. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww [face_love]

That was such a sweet vig, Kim! Just what I needed, a bit of mush to warm the heart :) Poor Obi, I'm so glad Qui was there to help him and was so understanding about it.

Excellent work :)

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Wonderfully done. I really liked that Obi-Wan felt so badly about it and Qui was able to help him just a little.

The ending was just right.

?How did you know??

?Know what??

?What I was going to ask??

?How could I not know??

Loved it.

8. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Qui-Gon was perfect in this! Especially the "center of serenity" line. I have no idea what that means, but it certainly sounds like something Qui-Gon would say.

=D= Lovely. Perfectly lovely.

9. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Ahah. Loved this. Simply brillant. I loved the banter and wise advice given. Awesome job.

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    ?How did you know??

?Know what??

?What I was going to ask??

?How could I not know??

Aaaaaah, that's such a nice moment between them. And typical cryptic Jedi master. That's how they teach their padawans patience. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.