main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Business of Good People - Mara Sans Skywalker Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeSolo, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Title: The Business of Good People
    Author(s): JadeSolo
    Timeframe: post-ROTJ ? after the Thrawn trilogy
    Characters: Mara Jade, Talon Karrde
    Genre: EU, vignette, some humor
    Keywords: Mara Jade Challenge Response ? Mara Sans Skywalker
    Summary: Karrde convinces Mara to accept a job grounded in morals.
    Notes: Written for the Mara Sans Skywalker challenge, and horribly unbetaed.

The Challenge:

Write a fic set either post-Endor, when Mara is on the run and struggling to survive, or when she is working as a smuggler/trader for Karrde (up to and including VOTF). However, Luke can not be featured or mentioned at any point, in any way.

Must include the words:

Deviant

Cautious

Diplomacy

Polemic

Sludge News

Two seconds earlier. Had she sensed his arrival just two seconds earlier, she would've been able to switch displays. The screen would've shown something work-related, and she wouldn't have had to suffer the mocking look in his eyes as he stood in the doorway.

"I saw that," said Karrde. Always straight to the point with her.

"Saw what?" she asked with a [b]cautious[/b] tone.

"You. And a gossip column. You [i]reading[/i] a gossip column." He crossed his arms and leaned against the doorframe. "Really, Mara, I thought you had better tastes."

"I wasn't reading gossip columns," she insisted. In her head, however, a garbled string of curses sailed by behind her eyes.

"Yes, you were, and I wasn?t talking about the reading in general. If you're going to rely on a particular source for [b]sludge news[/b], you should go with Madame Luzinka. She's never been wrong."

"Oh yeah?" Mara leaned back in her chair. "Is she one of your primaries?"

"Of course not," said Karrde, as though terribly offended. "I would never look to profit off her words of wisdom by selling them to the New Republic. What kind of man do you take me for?"

"One who better not be laughing at me for reading sludge news."

"No, never." Crossing over to the chair on the other side of Mara's desk, Karrde added, "But I [i]am[/i] one to profit off the New Republic when it's convenient."

"What do they need this time?"

"Guess."

"The locations of hidden bases? Identities of spies working for Imperial scum? Whether or not the good galactic folk are following Organa Solo's fashion trends?"

Karrde stroked the rich grey hairs in his beard, a rarely-seen frown forming on his lips. "Apparently, they've misplaced a vaccine."

"A what? Not another [b]deviant[/b] outbreak." Leave it to the NR to go and do something stupid like that.

"Well, not so much the vaccine, as the supplies necessary to produce and distribute the vaccine."

"You're going to tell me the story, aren't you?"

"I find history to be very educational."

"Nerfcrap. There's a punchline."

The lines around Karrde's eyes deepened. "Not this time, I'm afraid. There are two systems, Isopro and Rymlat, and some kind of illness that's genetic. Which is why only the people in those systems seem to contract it. Of course, they've always been at war, but working together on a vaccine was supposed to help bring them to peace. Only after the latest failed attempts at [b]diplomacy[/b], Isopro decided to be very unfriendly. They took the supplies on their end, shoved them onto a freighter, and jumped into hyperspace."

Mara shook her head. "What is this, a repeat search of the Katana fleet?"

"Looks like it. Didn't help that the Rymlati senator continued to be such a [b]polemic[/b] during discussions. He just ticked off the Isoprons even more."

Stretching slightly, Mara kicked her legs up onto the corner of the desk. "So let me guess. The New Republic wants us to find the freighter, and they're prepared to transfer a hefty sum over our existing line of credit."

"Business as usual."

"Sure enough. Life and death combined with money."

"Mara?" Karrde leaned forward, his dark eyes intense with what Mara could sense to be

2. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    "You. And a gossip column. You reading a gossip column." He crossed his arms and leaned against the doorframe. "Really, Mara, I thought you had better tastes."

[face_laugh]

"Says the woman reading gossip columns."
    "Shut up, Karrde."

[face_laugh]

Very cute and well done, Jade :) Always loved the interaction between Mara and Karrde (too bad we never see it in canon anymore) and it was terrific in this. I especially liked Mara's apprehension at taking on the mission because it was a "cause" after the Emperor's death. A great illustration of her character at that time.

Great post! :D

3. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I love Mara pre-Luke. [:D] And one can never go wrong with Karrde!

I love Karrde heckling her about reading gossip and then recommending a better source.

But it's contained to the system. Big deal, she wanted to say. But just the mere thought made her wince. Nice going, you heartless Hand.

I like this look into her thoughts because it's so honest. Mara wasn't always moral and righteous (in fact, I don't think she's that way even now, thank god), and it's nice to see the transition period from when she was dark to when she met Luke.

Her superior's eyes dimmed slightly, his shoulders drooping from the truth. "We've never pretended to be good people, that's for sure."

"But," and Mara allowed herself the foreign feeling of a genuine smile, "somehow we've still got morals."

Mara, are you becoming a softie?!?! Cheering up Karrde like that? :D

Great job, Jade!!! [:D]

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree, I've got a definite soft spot for Karrde.

"It's a cause," Mara stated flatly. "At least that's what it feels like. I used to work for a cause once. It was nice while it lasted, but when it ended, I wasn't in the best of places."

So very Mara!

Love in the end, I reaaly always had the sense they weren't nearly as bad as they thought. superb response Jade. =D=

5. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Mara Jade and gossip mags. Priceless.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    This was great, Jade!!! =D= Great Mara characterization. :)

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You've got a great grasp on Mara's character. I liked this so much I even dragged myself off the couch to leave feedback. I'm dying and this STILL brought a smile to my face! Bravo! =D=

8. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    hehehehe... very Mara... especially at the end...

great addition to the challenge!

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    But," and Mara allowed herself the foreign feeling of a genuine smile, "somehow we've still got morals."

"Shut up, Karrde."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

I loved the banter between these two.

Great job on the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Tee-hee. I loved this! Mara reading gossip and trying to hide it--too funny! And I love her and Karrde here--I enjoy stories with them, but it seems that you don't see too many of them.

Great job! :D

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That was really cute!

"Is she one of your primaries?"
    "Of course not," said Karrde, as though terribly offended. "I would never look to profit off her words of wisdom by selling them to the New Republic. What kind of man do you take me for?"
    "One who better not be laughing at me for reading sludge news."

LOL! I loved this.... The idea of Karrde getting his info from a gossip column![face_laugh]

But," and Mara allowed herself the foreign feeling of a genuine smile, "somehow we've still got morals."
    "Shut up, Karrde.
    "
    I think this was my favorite part! Karrde would give her sooo much crap after this!

12. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    And by the way, the curse "nerfcrap" has officially entered my vocabulary.

13. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    "But," and Mara allowed herself the foreign feeling of a genuine smile, "somehow we've still got morals."
    "Shut up, Karrde."

[face_laugh]

Wonderful Master! I liked the dynamic of this piece, especially Mara. You have the pre-"I-Love-Luke" Mentality down pat.

I'd always suspected that Mara read the gossip pages, and this just proves it. ;)

=D=

14. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Mara and Karrde are perfect. =D=

This part made me wince too:

But it's contained to the system. Big deal, she wanted to say. But just the mere thought made her wince. Nice going, you heartless Hand.

There, there, Mara. Old habits die hard. We need a [face_nodding, I-feel-your-pain] smiley.

Mara and gossip pages...works well together! lol

15. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    What a beautiful scenario, Karrde walking in on Mara reading sludge news. :D Hey, as Luke said in one of my favorite fanfics, we're all entitled to some trash in our lives. :p

Fantastic Mara/Talon interaction here. We definitely don't see enough of that, in profic or fanfic. I also liked the glimpses of Mara's emotional growth, like her initial reaction to the outbreak and her self-chastisement. :D

"Shut up, Karrde."

Awesome ending. :D You really must write more Mara stories, Jade. :cool:

16. Jadie

Jadie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    Gossip columns??? [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Poor Mara, she can't even do what everyone does, because... she's Mara! 8-} 8-}

Great vig. Really funny. ;)

17. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Welcome to the world of Mara fic, JadeSolo!! [face_dancing]

<Maul voice> At last...all the Mods are ours. At last, we shall have?</>

Ahem?sorry. ;) 8-}

Great challenge response!! :D I love reading Mara/Talon adventures and this sounds exactly like the kind of thing they would do. We know they're kind-hearted under the tough facades....just don't tell them that. :cool:

18. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I love Karrde - and I love the way you've written his and Mara's relationship. Great little glimpse into their lives. :D

Mara and gossip mags are priceless...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.