main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Butterfly Effect

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Ace_Venom, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I have to admit I was surprised when I saw Ashton Kutcher handling a serious role on the big screen. I thought it was a good movie when it first came out, but then I saw the director's cut. At that moment, I realized what The Butterfly Effect really was. It was a morality tale. It explores the desire of a character to play God to create the perfect world for himself, but only to see it fall apart as events he could not fathom wreak havoc on every change he makes. While the theatrical version chickens out with a message of hope, the director's cut is just plain chilling.

I personally thought this was an example of good sci-fi that I felt the genre has been missing. There were some obvious plot holes, but what film in the genre doesn't have them? Once you look past the plot holes, the story is quite compelling. It makes you ask a single question. If you could play God, would you?

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Great movie. I loved the storyline and the determination of Aston's character. It shows that no matter how much you try, things are what they are sometimes.

And no, I wouldn't play God. Without getting too religious, I will say that any attempt would be vastly inferior to God's.

3. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I thought it was a trippy movie good but yrippy and yeah i agree that sometimes there isnt a quick fix to life situations.

4. Lobot_Omy

Lobot_Omy Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 2001
    I liked the alternate ending much more than the theatrical, as well.

5. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    This movie caught my interest when it was released, but I never got around to seeing it. I'm thinking I'll try to rent it soon.

6. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    I liked this when it was released, haven't seen it since. I was also surprised to see Ashton Kutcher doing drama, but it certainly works for me. I seem to remember that it didn't get such good reviews (?) but I can't remember why. Still, yes, you must overlook plotholes, but it works better than a lot of hollywood sci-fi. Wish I had seen the director's cut...

7. obi_webb

obi_webb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    this was a great movie, with the directors cut being the best version of the two i think.... as for the reviews, i have no clue how this movie could get bad reviews! i've never talked to anybody that didn't like this movie, so i'm puzzled. i guess that's why i don't put much stock in movie critics!

8. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Curious, what were the plotholes? I might've been too interested in the movie to really notice them.

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I really enjoyed the movie- fairly well plotted and acted, and it was a tough acting job to do. However, I prefer the Jacket, with Adrian Brody, very similar, much darker.

10. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Ya, i like jakcet more than this one but this was very good.

Some points it seemed like it was trying to hard to be creepy.

dkt

11. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    That movie was so dooking screwed up...

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I liked the movie alone on the fact that I absolutely LOVE 'What if' scenarios. Some TV shows do them (many of them well) but I don't see many movies about it. It can get difficult really quick, I guess.

I didn't know it had a Director's Cut. Have to see if I can rent it sometime.

13. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I remember seeing the director's cut with the alternate ending once, but I forgot how it ended.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002

He strangles himself with his umbilical cord while still in the womb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.