main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Cable, huluplus, netflix discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 26, 2014.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Netflix officially out against the Comcast-TWC merger today, some great work being done by Senator Franken to stop this crap from going through.

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Anymore remember when he was a mobile satellite dish:

[​IMG] ?

3. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Yet you get bent out of shape when your roommate steals your coffee.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    IIRC I got bent out of shape by my roommate admitting to not knowing that sex without protection causes pregnancy, then allowing his pregnant girlfriend to drink until she miscarriaged. But nice try you good doobie.

5. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Nah you got bent out of shape about the coffee stealing too.

It's OK.

6. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I also remember hearing you talk about the coffee thing.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, I remember something about fancy pants coffee being stolen.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That was the original topic of the thread, which was hilarious in that every single time she updated it with a new complaint, there was a tide of a half dozen new posters who gave their opinion on the coffee situation because they read the OP and skipped everything else.

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    classic

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Stealing cable, downloads, internet, whatever isn't on the same level as stealing somebody's coffee, though. Coffee is personal property... the other crap isn't.

12. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Especially fancy pants coffee.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ****in' a.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't think a half dozen can really be considered a tide.

harpua likes this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was low tide.

16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    My household enjoys DirecTV with tons of HD channels, two HDDVRs (they gave me a second one free for continuing my contract) and whole home access to both DVRs, HBO, Netflix, and Hulu Plus.

Honestly, we use Netflix for little more than rewatching old shows (Battlestar Galactica, Breaking Bad, etc) and haven't touched Hulu in years. I think the wife just keeps procrastinating cancelling Hulu.

During my first contract year with DirecTV, I was paying roughly $50-60/month (whole home HDDVR, 2 extra HD boxes, tons of HD channels). I'm now into my third year and that bill is now about $110/month (2 HDDVRs, whole home DVR access, one extra HD box, and HBO). It may seem like a lot (especially if you add in our high speed internet) but it's still a lot cheaper than Time Warner was charging for a lot less service ($160/month with internet, one HDDVR confined to a single room, one HD box, one regular box, and a lot less HD Channels). Plus DirecTV runs faster and includes many apps (like Pandora and YouTube) on each TV.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I did a hulu trial. I used it once, and didn't really like it. I watch netflix all the time, though.

18. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    So you're necrobaiting me about a silly irrelevant post from months ago because you were the butt of all jokes 5+ years ago on here and I trolled/edited/warned you with unquestionable power when I modded? If it makes you feel better about having your milk money stolen by the big bullies from years ago, then yes, I'm butthurt about whatever it is you want me to be. Whatever makes you let it go and move on.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    necrobaiting sounds totally dirty.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Perhaps you aren't familiar with what the traffic on these forums looks like anymore.

21. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    That is the funniest **** ever.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't understand why Netflix seems to think it's perfectly ok to have Adam Sandler movies to livestream. Uh uh, I don't think so.

23. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I recently bought chromecast. Love the thing. Sends information faster then my smart tv can pick it up on wireless. I find huluplus a little slow with my smart tv but faster from my chromecast. For this reason I am thinking of buying a small compatible tablet or itouch just so I can use it as remote and be able to use my laptop for work and games.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Beez, I'm glad yours is working and that you're enjoying it. My chromecast started out working perfectly a few months ago, although I didn't really know what I was getting into (thought it was like a Roku box - my mistake) - now, after having a new router installed it's essentially worthless. Not at all on Google, but yet another reason to stay away from Comcast XFinity as if your life depends on it.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

My house backs up to woods, which I love, but my neighbor and I were both told that we couldn't get satellite because the trees would interfere with reception.

I've got two Rokus now (one in my living room and one in my bedroom) and they pick up Hulu much better than my slow-processing TV did. I watch the Daily Show and Colbert via Hulu pretty much every day. I also like that Hulu puts shows on within a day or two instead of at the end of the season like Netflix does.

I still like Netflix streaming but it's been worth paying for both for me, especially now.