main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The 'Cable Original' Art thread - All-Con art!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BillCable, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillCable

BillCable Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2001
    double-post...

2. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Let's see...

I'll still be posting art. I figure people are seeing them even if they're not replying. ;)

The scene is from my head... a vision of them invading the lightsaber crystal mines on Ilum. The glow is the standard "outer glow" effect in Photoshop, just tweaked a bit.

I do assemble the figures. Buy up a batch of loose Vintage figures, clean them up a bit, and mount them on the cardbacks. The first two I did conatined random Droids coins. The later two have resin coins. For this one my coin guy cast them off the POTF Stormtrooper coin and colored them gold... and they look amazing.

Here are the first three I did:

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/customs/bossk-moc.JPG]

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/customs/chewie-moc.JPG]

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/customs/erg-moc.JPG]

I did the Bossk originally as a give-away "proof card" for a PSWCS Summer Social. I got such a positive reaction that I decided to do a custom carded run. They sold well enough that I continued doing them from time to time. I try to do them in the "stiff" style of the Vintage Droids cardbacks... the characters on those are often pretty awkward-looking. It's certainly very different than my normal stuff.

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Well, I'm glad you're not going to be leaving us! :D [face_dancing] :p

And man, those carded figures look awesome!! =D= The Chewbacca one is my favorite: the "bar fight to end all bar fights!" lol! What a great image--and is that Han peering over the edge of the counter there? [face_laugh] Whoever it is, it's a wonderful piece! These look just like the regular figure cards, but what a great thing: to get the figure and an original artwork! Awesome idea, and I wish you much success with them!

FF

4. Ascal_Elessar

Ascal_Elessar Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    Fantastic work, the Jedi ones are my favourites.

5. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    Oh my, I love those cardboard backings for figures! (If you ever do a Thrawn one- TELL ME!)
    They're dead sweet, and yet I love how you made some of them quite stiff, to represent some of the vintage pictures drawn on cardboard boxes!
    Do you colour on computer, or is it Prisma markers?
    I love the colouring as well, adds to the cartoonish vibe! :D

6. Admiral_Keller

Admiral_Keller Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2005
    wow I've just looked at all the ones in here. Very very very nice work there man. Ever thought of doing on of Corran Horn? *hint hint* ;)

7. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    The colors were all done in Photoshop. I scanned in my B&W inks, colored them, then dropped the colored art onto a cardback template.

So far I have focused on characters that appeared as Vintage action figures. So Thrawn and Horn would fall outside that set. Each of the cards takes me a ton of time just on the art end, not even counting the assembly (which I'm working on now). So they'll continue coming pretty infrequently. But I'll still be cranking out the B&W art regularly.

8. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Pretty much everything in this thread is fantastic. :D

That said, the figure backing-cards are just superb. They look authentic in every detail - I can't imagine the amounts of time and effort that went into them. Their eventual owners will be very very lucky people.

As for the ink drawings, you have a wonderful talent for 'action' poses - they never look awkward or forced, and I honestly have no idea how you manage that level of detail and shading in ink. Totally awesome, every one, although I think the Anakin/Obi-Wan Mustafar duo are my favourites :)

Keep drawing - I'll definitely be checking this thread!

Nem

9. Vicu

Vicu Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2004
    Bill your art reminds me a lot of Joe Correny's stuff, very fine character drawings. Those drawings would fit right into any of the books by Del Ray.

10. semicooke

semicooke Legacy Concept Artist star 1 VIP

Dec 1, 1998
    Those cardbacks are some of the neatest fan creations I've seen. Priceless!

Great stormtrooper Illo..

11. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Yep... believe it or not, somebody commissioned a piece based on a scene from the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special...

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/life-day-chewbacca_lg.GIF]

Also, I put together my first Droids Stormtrooper. Check it out...

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/customs/storm-moc.JPG]

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hi Bill! And oh, no!! "The SW Holiday Special!?!?" [face_plain] ;) Nuff said on that--now on to the fantastic inking of Chewie! As with each piece you show us, the stipling and shading are just superb--excellent drape to the robe, and a neat "glow" on the orb. The facial features and fur are fabulous (one reason I don't often try drawing our favorite Wookiee...)--what a great piece! And I'm sure your commission was just delighted--I sure would be! :D The stormtrooper carded figure looks so authentic I would never be able to tell it from its original packaging--seriously, this looks sooooo gooood! =D= I'm not much of a collector, but this just seems like too good a treat: original artwork, that very-cool coin and the figure--an embarrassment of riches! What a great idea! Outstanding job! =D=

FF

13. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    You've got talent! By the way, is that draw by pen?

14. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Yes... pen and ink.

15. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    I've been exceptionally productive lately. Here's my latest: Lava-damaged Darth Vader.

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/vader-lava-damage_lg.GIF]

16. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Ouch!! The big guy is going to feel that in the morning.

Excellent drawing!!

AG88

17. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_sick]=D=

[Yakko Warner]"...That'll leave a mark..."[/Yakko Warner]

Gads, I cringed when this one opened up!! So much detail: the muscles, melted clothing, severed limbs...the mouth opened in agony... **shudders** Wow--very graphic, very poignant, very powerful. =D= Awesome piece!!

FF

18. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Thanks for the compliments, guys! I've really been on a tear lately. Here's yet another new one:

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/dewback_lg.GIF]

19. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    That's an awesome dewback.

The one of Vader made me wince in sympathy. You've really captured the agony he's in - both in the pose/expression and in the graphic detail of the shredded clothes and exposed muscle. Ick, but in a good way ;)

Good stuff.

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow!! =D==D=

Awesome dewback!! I just went through all the OT films again, and you've just captured this creature perfectly, right down to its pebbly hide and clawed toes! =D= Just wow!!

FF

21. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Great Dewback, your style works well. I like the dark detail in the dewbacks scales vs the white armor of the trooper.

22. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Awesome Dewback! Great job with the drawing. I would love to see it colored and in the desert! Fantastic work!

AG88

23. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    That's awesome! The creature is uncredibly dramatic!

24. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Here's my latest: General Obi-Wan Kenobi

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/clone-wars-kenobi_lg.GIF]

25. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    =D=

Beautiful!! I always loved that CW-tabards-and-Jedi robes-over-armor, and you've really captured it well! Fantastic movement in the fabric and hair, and his pose is wonderful, as though he's just catching sight of some new threat or skirmish. You may have inspired another artwork for myself, Bill! :p And that's a real gift, so thanks tons! Another fabulous piece! We're so lucky you share these with us! :D

FF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.