main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive The 'Cable Original' Art thread - All-Con art!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BillCable, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malos

Malos Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    Nice work. Nice work indeed!
    Over and out... o_O

2. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    Wow. Thats all I can say. Well, not really, Im a wordy kind of guy. But that IS all I can say initially. Wow. I love this thread. First of all, I am a huge Creature Cantina fan. http://www.choicecomics.net/index.php?&page=webcomics&comicID=771 Vote for Creature Cantina there, I put it up a while ago. If you have not spent a saturday afternoon reading through all the creature cantina webstrips, do so NOW. Well, Wednesday afternoon, but whatever.

But I digress. It is amazing to see you step out of the style we are accustomed to seeing with the Creature Cantina and provide something a bit more mature stylistically. The Grievous, Quarren, charred Anakin, all of them are amazing pieces. I am totally blown away because it shows a lot of versatility on your part as an artist.

If the mood or time ever strikes you, I would be honored to have you contribute a pin-up to our Clone Wars D20 Fan Sourcebook at http://www.fandomcomics.com Though it would appear that between the webstrip and commissions you do already have a full plate. Either way, feel free to drop me an email or IM at NarCranr@aol.com . Anyway, love the thread, love the work, can't wait to see more!

3. BillCable

BillCable Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2001
    Wow... talk about high praise. Much appreciated, guys!

I'd be honored to do a pin-up for your site when I get the chance, NarCranr. I'll contact you for details.

4. fgdinterceptor

fgdinterceptor Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2006
    Hey, Just wanted to come over and tell you that I think your art's great-I love how you use inks--especially with cross hatching--It can be overdone, but you seem to have a knack for "just right" keep up the great work!

5. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Your Bib Fortuna is great. It really captures his sleaziness. This not to say anything bad about the drawing (its awesome), but he is rather sleazy.

6. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Are you ready for yet another??

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/tie-fighter-pilot_lg.GIF]

7. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Yeah!! Awesome!!

=D==D=

I love this! What a great study in that all-too-difficult "black-on-black!" And you've handled it expertly: all the detailing in white on his figure, with the perfectly-placed highlights on the outstretched limbs and shiny flightsuit... Just too awesome!! =D= This one must have taken a long, long time, with all that black--outstanding job!!

FF

8. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Fantastic work on the trooper! :D I don't think you've missed a single thing in his outfit and those highlights on the solid black look spectacular. The pose gives a good sense of being in a firefight.

- Suz ^_~

9. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Awesome pilot drawing, how'd you do it.

10. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    I learned a long time ago that to do black-on-black, you pencil the drawing as normal but when you ink the interior you actually ink around the pencil lines. It's almost like creating a negative image. On this one, I did the highlights of the cloth suit by crosshatching, and the highlights of the leather goods by stippling... just to differentiate the textures.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    =D= Another very cool pic. Tie-pilots are among my favourite Star Wars costume designs - very classy.

12. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Here's my first piece of 2007. Actually it was my last piece of 2006, but I couldn't publish it until now...

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/gonk-power-droid_lg.GIF]

13. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Oh Dude! Dig the GONK! :D He's awesome! It really takes something to be able to give a droid personality.

=D=

ps. this pen and ink?

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    HA!! One of the most appreciated and underdone droids in the series!! I always loved the GONK, and this is a superb "portrait" of him/her/it! =D==D= Perfect detailing, and I love that lifted foot! Too great! Wonderful way to start off the year, Bill! =D=

FF

15. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Ready for another? Here's Boushh!

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/boushh_lg.GIF]

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    AAACK!!!

**dives for cover**

Thermal detonators everywhere!! This is too cool, Bill!! =D==D= I love this pose--the steep foreshortening, all that coiled energy and movement--it's like a movie still (again, from a scene we never got to see! :p )! Terrific detailing on the costuming, staff and bombs--superb work, as always! =D= :D

FF

17. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    some great new pieces there! Im still hoping for a chance to get you to do a pinup for my clone wars d20 fan sourcebook at www.fandomcomics.com ! That boushh is amazing! Love how dynamic it is! Great layout on it.

Keith "Nar" Kappel
    http://www.fandomcomics.com

18. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    I actually have two pieces to post. First is my latest... straight out of the pages of Star Wars: Legacy, it's Darth Talon:

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/darth-talon_lg.GIF]

Next, the one I posted last week, Luke in X-wing pilot gear:

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/luke-xwing_lg.GIF]

19. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Outstanding job on Talon's tattoos! The neck and head proportions are a little off though it seems it might be intentional?

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    WAHH!! =D= Awesome!! Love Darth Talon (I'm not currently reading the comics, but have seen a few snippets of the characters here and there)! That pose, and all the motion and action here are superb--and Giolon is so right about all those complicated tattoos! Wow!! =D= Luke looks just like Luke! :D Fantastic detail in his flightsuit (I would dissolve into a quivering puddle of overwrought goo if I tried to apply all the crosshatching and finely-spaced shading lines that you do! :p ), and I love the expression on his face here--still with that sort of fresh-faced farmboy earnestness he had in ANH. Just curious: do you use reference photos to get the likeness for characters like this, or do you just go from memory...? It's a wonderful capture, and a great illo of our favorite Rebel! :D

FF

21. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    I do reference photos for likenesses, but I never do any sort of tracing or anything like that. I use them to get the correct shapes for features and proportions.

The proportions on the Talon are intentionally exaggerated, but it turned out a little more exaggerated than I intended. ;)

22. BillCable

Jun 7, 2001
    Looks like with all the excitement over CreatureCantina.com's 6th anniversary I forgot to post my newest here...

[image=http://www.creaturecantina.com/cable/images/luke-hoth_lg.GIF]

23. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Very well done. I love the detail and the determination in his face.

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Most excellent! =D= I just watched ESB again the other night and this is just perfect: his face, with the "boo-boos" on it from being whacked by the Wampa, the perspective and foreshortening, and that outstretched hand and arm, straining toward his lightsaber... Wonderful! Love it!

FF

25. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Just found this thread. :) Amazing work, BC. I have some pages to go through but I thought I'd mention I love your TIE-fighter and your Luke is adorable. Hehe...yes, I'm a Luke fangirl. You have a gift for great detailing. =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.