main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

VIDEO The Call of Duty Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Ender Sai Geez you say that first part as if its CoD is a bad game to be playing because thats what you do.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It is, because it deliberately appeals to (as in, markets to/targets) a nationalist streak in players. It's an exercise in chest-thumping jingoism.

3. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I don't know what to say exactly I guess I never looked at it that way probably because I don't take it as a game too seriously since its just that a video game to simulate war.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's ARMA.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Linear, scripted FPS like CAca Doody are not and could never be said to properly emulate or simulate war.

6. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    I thought this thread was for people who actually like the Call of Duty games some of you seem to not like it as much at least compared to most first person shooter games?

7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Threads are not just for people who like the subject in question, no. As long as there's a cordial discussion going on, it doesn't matter what opinions you have.

I'm quite surprised at the critics' reviews for Ghosts, however. This is the first time I've seen merely good scores across the board, rather than 9's and 10's.

8. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    Yeah I guess thats right. I guess for me particularly I will see if CoD is the game for me by playing the demos they have of the game.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The next COD game should be called Call of Duty: Dog Wars, cause having a dog in Ghosts is fun as hell, controlling him too is badass

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The ending of Ghosts confirms that there will be a sequel

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So long as brown and/or non-English speaking people can be killed, I don't mind that. [face_flag]

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Really disappointed that this game's campaign was short like molasses, at least Treyarch's COD campaign are longer than Infinity Ward's

14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    There hasn't been a decent 8+ hour campaign in a Call of Duty game since World at War. I have no idea why they continue to make it. They might as well spend the money on having post-2007 textures and improving the MP.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How is molasses short?

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    FTFY. :p

Why they keep making them? I think Ender has said it best: nationalistic jingoism and North Americans'* simple love affair with guns, violence and killing. Thus any simulation that allows such base needs to be sated is welcome by those that crave it, even if it brings nothing new to the table and runs on antiquated technology.

*Granted, the fervor for such shooters like CoD, Battlefield and the like transcends national borders, but you have to consider where the bulk of their fanbase lies.

07jonesj likes this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Wow...just wow. I know that studio laziness is becoming something of a problem in the industry, but that's simply hilarious.

18. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Did anybody else here automatically think Darth Nihlus when they saw the COD Ghosts symbol?

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  19. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Bought the game - but has no four player split screen! One if my biggest reasons is having friends over for party matches.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Figures, one of the reasons I still like Call of Duty is it has four player split screen, even though I rarely use it. What is it with games nowadays and split screen?

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    If you're sharing a sofa with a friend, you've only got one copy of the game. If you're playing together over headsets, you've got multiple copies of the game.

22. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Does Ghosts do 3D? One thing I noted was that BO2 had this thing where if you had a compatible 3D TV you could have two people using the whole screen at the same time. It had to be an 'active' 3D TV as one pair of glasses would block the left channel and the other the right. I thought it was quite interesting but never got to try it out. Using coloured lenses to play BO2 was just weird. It was fun, but there were some colour issues. "Is that a bad guy or a friendly? I can't tell what colour it is . . oh wait, it's a bad guy. I can tell now because I'm dead." :D

23. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I have fallen to the dark side.

I now own a Call of Duty game...

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper star 6 Staff Member Manager

Jul 10, 2004
    As I understand it, consoles struggle to render from multiple viewpoints at modern power/graphics levels. So split screen is pretty much dead. Even games like burnout no longer do it.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't have internet on my consoles, and due to the way my internet is setup it would end up being wireless anyway, so splitscreen is pretty much my only way to play with others. I guess I really am behind on the times.