VIDEO The Call of Duty Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Oct 9, 2013.

Moderators: LAJ_FETT, MarcusP2, The2ndQuest
  1. Kran Starborn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    @Ender Sai Geez you say that first part as if its CoD is a bad game to be playing because thats what you do.
  2. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    It is, because it deliberately appeals to (as in, markets to/targets) a nationalist streak in players. It's an exercise in chest-thumping jingoism.
  3. Kran Starborn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I don't know what to say exactly I guess I never looked at it that way probably because I don't take it as a game too seriously since its just that a video game to simulate war.
  4. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
  5. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Linear, scripted FPS like CAca Doody are not and could never be said to properly emulate or simulate war.
  6. Kran Starborn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I thought this thread was for people who actually like the Call of Duty games some of you seem to not like it as much at least compared to most first person shooter games?
  7. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    Threads are not just for people who like the subject in question, no. As long as there's a cordial discussion going on, it doesn't matter what opinions you have.

I'm quite surprised at the critics' reviews for Ghosts, however. This is the first time I've seen merely good scores across the board, rather than 9's and 10's.
    Last edited by 07jonesj, Nov 5, 2013
  8. Kran Starborn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah I guess thats right. I guess for me particularly I will see if CoD is the game for me by playing the demos they have of the game.
  9. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    The next COD game should be called Call of Duty: Dog Wars, cause having a dog in Ghosts is fun as hell, controlling him too is badass
  10. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    The ending of Ghosts confirms that there will be a sequel
  11. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
  12. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    So long as brown and/or non-English speaking people can be killed, I don't mind that. [face_flag]
  13. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Really disappointed that this game's campaign was short like molasses, at least Treyarch's COD campaign are longer than Infinity Ward's
  14. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    There hasn't been a decent 8+ hour campaign in a Call of Duty game since World at War. I have no idea why they continue to make it. They might as well spend the money on having post-2007 textures and improving the MP.
    Last edited by 07jonesj, Nov 6, 2013
  15. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
  16. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    FTFY. :p

Why they keep making them? I think Ender has said it best: nationalistic jingoism and North Americans'* simple love affair with guns, violence and killing. Thus any simulation that allows such base needs to be sated is welcome by those that crave it, even if it brings nothing new to the table and runs on antiquated technology.

*Granted, the fervor for such shooters like CoD, Battlefield and the like transcends national borders, but you have to consider where the bulk of their fanbase lies.
    07jonesj likes this.
  17. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5

Wow...just wow. I know that studio laziness is becoming something of a problem in the industry, but that's simply hilarious.
  18. Shadow Trooper Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Did anybody else here automatically think Darth Nihlus when they saw the COD Ghosts symbol?

Last edited by Shadow Trooper, Nov 12, 2013
    Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  19. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Bought the game - but has no four player split screen! One if my biggest reasons is having friends over for party matches.
  20. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    Figures, one of the reasons I still like Call of Duty is it has four player split screen, even though I rarely use it. What is it with games nowadays and split screen?
  21. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    If you're sharing a sofa with a friend, you've only got one copy of the game. If you're playing together over headsets, you've got multiple copies of the game.
  22. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Does Ghosts do 3D? One thing I noted was that BO2 had this thing where if you had a compatible 3D TV you could have two people using the whole screen at the same time. It had to be an 'active' 3D TV as one pair of glasses would block the left channel and the other the right. I thought it was quite interesting but never got to try it out. Using coloured lenses to play BO2 was just weird. It was fun, but there were some colour issues. "Is that a bad guy or a friendly? I can't tell what colour it is . . oh wait, it's a bad guy. I can tell now because I'm dead." :D
  23. Lazy Storm Trooper Force Ghost

star 4
    I have fallen to the dark side.

I now own a Call of Duty game...
  24. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    As I understand it, consoles struggle to render from multiple viewpoints at modern power/graphics levels. So split screen is pretty much dead. Even games like burnout no longer do it.
  25. Zeta1127 Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't have internet on my consoles, and due to the way my internet is setup it would end up being wireless anyway, so splitscreen is pretty much my only way to play with others. I guess I really am behind on the times.
Moderators: LAJ_FETT, MarcusP2, The2ndQuest