main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada The Canadian Flag

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by DarthBabe, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Ok, a student at my college sent a letter to the editor of our school paper. He complained that the Canadian flag in the in foyer was lower than the other flags. (three flags, the Canadian flag in the middle being slightly lower).

Now, I've been researching this and I can't find anything about the flag supposed to be higher. I don't know. Does anyone know?

2. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Don't know, but I personnally think that because Canada is Awesome! the flag should naturally be higher than all others around it...

3. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Yes, it is considered proper flag etiquette that the national flag is always flown highest.

In the case of a single pole, it should be the topmost, with mutliple poles it should be higher than the surrounding flags.

I don't think it is a law, per se, but it is a long tradition, same as destroying a flag that has touched the ground and other bits of historical precedence.

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I learned all about proper flag etiquette in the military. Woofer's right. The Canadian flag must be higher than the surrounding flags. Hopefully this letter from the student will be enough for whoever's in charge to fix this offence, but if not, give me his e-mail or mailing address and I'll show him documents that state that the Canadian flag must be higher. If it's still not fixed, I'll be paying him a visit. ;)

5. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Here are some documents that i found relevent. These are straight from the Canadian Government.

When flown with foreign national flags, the National Flag will take precedence. All flags shall be hoisted and lowered simultaneously. If this is not possible, the National Flag shall be hoisted first and lowered last. On occasions requiring that one flag be flown at half-mast, all flags should also be flown at half-mast.

No flag or banner shall be flown or displayed above the National Flag. When flown together, all flags should be approximately the same size and flown from poles or staffs the same height. (Exceptions to this rule are shown at Appendix H.1, Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4, Poles Rigged with a Gaff or Yard.)

When flown or displayed with other flags, the National Flag will occupy the position of honour as follows:

When two or more than three flags are flown together, the National Flag will be on the left as viewed from the front or from the position of the observer. The other flags will be displayed in descending order of precedence to the right (see Appendix B, Figures 1 and 3).

When three flags are flown together, the National Flag will occupy the central position with the next ranking flag to the left and the third ranking flag to the right as viewed by the spectator (see Appendix B, Figure 2).

It is acceptable to fly a National Flag at each end of a line of flags (see Appendix B, figure 3).

On occasions when it is desired that the National Flag be placed in the centre of a display, for example to be directly behind the principal person on a stage, the other flags should be set out left and right alternately as shown at Annex C, figure 5.

When the National Flag and another flag are displayed together from crossed staffs against a wall, the National Flag will be on the left and the other on the right as viewed by the observer. The staff of the National Flag will be in front of the staff of the other flag (see Appendix B, Figure 4).

When a grouping of three flags is repeated such as for street lining the order of precedence changes from: centre, left, right as shown at Appendix B, Figure 2, to left, centre, right, left, centre, right; or 1, 2, 3; 1, 2, 3, etc., as often as required (see Appendix F, Figure 4).

For full reference on the Flying of flags see.

Flags

6. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, these three flags aren't flown from flag poles. They are on flagpoles that are attached to the walls. And for some reason, the Canadian flag is slightly lower than the rest.

7. Darth_Haggis

Darth_Haggis Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    ...for some reason, the Canadian flag is slightly lower than the rest.

This is a disgrace against all that this outstanding country stands for!

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, these three flags aren't flown from flag poles. They are on flagpoles that are attached to the walls.

Doesn't matter. Someone should demand that this be fixed immediately.

9. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    They've already demanded it.

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Was it fixed?

11. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Yes, it was fixed yesterday.

12. Wonk_Ay

Wonk_Ay Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2002
    Once i was on vacation and there was a beach club where 3 of the members had died that week. so they lowered the american flag to half staff but none of thew others...so my mom and brother went and told them they were wrong and they refused to fix it....some rich people SUCK!

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    [image=http://www.holyducttape.com/ttr/wrldser.jpg]

14. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Well I have only ever seen the national flag flown half mast. My school, for example has Five poles. The central and tallest pole bears the Canadian. The next two on either side both bear the Ontario flags and the final two bear the last and shortest poles bear the school flag. All examples I have seen of the flag being lowered has been only the Canadian flag. I am not sure if its out of laziness (i wouldn't put it past my school) or if its proper etiquette. Having served in Sea cadets for four years I also recall us doing the same when someone passed away. To be honest I only ever remember the national falg being flown at half-mast.

Now thats not to say its incorrect or vice-versa, I am just saying in my experience its a common practice.

James

EDIT: ACK!! don't show that cursed picture...it was a sad day for national pride. Ah well...we won the series :D

15. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    No flag is to fly higher than the Maple Leaf. Your CO should have known better. I suggest you inform your principal of the problem as well. All 5 flags should be lowered, not just the Maple Leaf.

ACK!! don't show that cursed picture...it was a sad day for national pride.

Actually, it was an example of the bitterness of our neighbour over a Canadian team making it to the World Series. But we sure showed them. :D

16. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Lol well i haven't been apart of that for about four years now but next time i see him i will inform him lol.

17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    I know. I meant the Dean of your school or whoever`s in charge.

My CO was pretty knowledgeable. I don`t think she`d make a mistake like that.

I guess you can't expect much from the navy. :p

Ah, element rivalry. Gotta love it. ;) Air power! :p

I was an Air Cadet for 5 years, then served in the militia for 6 months. I loved it.

18. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    *cough*armycadetsrule*cough*

sorry...cold.

19. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Hmm, my Girl Guide book says that the Canadian flag is raised first and lowered last. There was also something about which side it goes on depending on the total number of flags, but I don't actually have the book on me right now.

20. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    There are many rules.

For example, if there are two flags flying side by side, the Canadian flag must be on the left. If two flags are on the wall, with their poles crossed, the Canadian flag is on the right, and the pole is overtop the other pole. The flag is raised first and lowered last. It must never touch the ground, or be defaced in any way. When it becomes too old to properly represent our nation, it is to be burned in a dignified way.

There are a bunch of other rules, but I can`t think of them right now.

21. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    I remember that World Series incident of the Canadian Flag being flown upside-down. I think as early as the very next day, Canadians were sporting T-shirts with the U.S. flag upside-down with the caption "Sorry about that, eh?" ;)

I had always heard the upside-down Canadian flag had been an accidental screw-up by the Marine colour party when they clipped the flag to the pole in a rush, rather than a deliberate action of malice on their part (please correct me if you recall anything to the contrary on that, AT-60, as I only heard the "official" version ;) ). Considering the diplomatic headaches it created, I wouldn't have been surprised if that colour party was re-assigned to some Alaskan listening station drill team. :)

Factoid: any national flag flying upside-down is internationally recognized as a sign of distress.

22. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Of course, I have no proof, but I think it was deliberate. The Canadian flag is one of the most recognized flags in the world, especially in the USA. They were a Marine flag party. I don't think they'd make such a foolish error. I also think somebody would have noticed it. Besides, a good flag party would not allow itself to get into such a situation where it needs to be rushed to the level it would need to be for this mistake to happen. To me, it's just another example of Americans disrespecting us in sports. It happened there, it happened in the women's Olympic hockey (Showing respect to the flag? Then why the hell was it on the floor instead of the wall?), and it happened in various NHL arenas last season. Remember, days after the friendly fire incident, when people were booing our anthem?

Where can I get one of those t-shirts? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.