The cancer of intolerance and how to fight it

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by nancyallen, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There's also what he had to say in his own words.

Most telling, of course, is:

We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out. -Adolf Hitler, Berlin, 10/24/33
  2. king_alvarez Jedi Knight

star 3
    Indeed. My apologies, wrong thread for that stuff.
  3. SWBob Force Ghost

star 4
    transfered the debate to the athiesm thread.
  4. WormieSaber Force Ghost

star 5
    Not only can one be intolerant of another race and culture, but also of another gender. There are some who simply can not tolerate the opposite sex and their differences.
  5. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    I know. It's otherwise known as marriage.
  6. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Here's how to "fight" intolerance:

Try not to be intolerant of others. Try to accept and even embrace differences. Either God or the physical universe made us the way we are; either way, we are who we are and there is no use railing against it.

If you encounter intolerance in others, leave them to it. It is their right to hold whatever beliefs they choose. If they're intolerant, perhaps they're in the wrong, but it would be intolerant of you to try and disabuse them of their beliefs.

End of lecture.
  7. DarthKomar Jedi Master

star 3
    I personally can't stand intolerance.
  8. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    By fighting intolerance, aren't you being intolerant of other people's decision to be intolerant, though? *frowns*

This may have been aired, but I don't believe anyone has the right to decide what people think. It's intolerant to me.

Equally, you're somewhat seeking to destroy opinions and perspectives by no longer tolerating the intolerant. With such a goal, you eventually end up with everyone believing the same thing - which is an appalling future for me to envision.
  9. DarthKomar Jedi Master

star 3
    My point exactly, this whole thread is against itself

Welcome, to The Island.
  10. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's utterly befuddled by the efforts of this thread.

The Island? Oh great, DarthKomar. I'm blaming you for this.
  11. DarthKomar Jedi Master

star 3
  12. Sinrebirth SWC and EUC Forum Moderator

Manager
    star 7
    Telling them about me, mostly.
  13. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I've been calling this thread out on the basis of absurdity from page one. Fighting intolerance is an oxymoron, since it entails intolerance of the intolerant. 8-}
  14. DarthKomar Jedi Master

star 3
    Oxymoron, I love that word :)

I vote we just put up with intolerance.
  15. SWBob Force Ghost

star 4
  16. nancyallen Jedi Master

star 4
    In terms of fighting intolerance what I'm saying is standing against those whose obsessive hatred drives them to infringe on the rights of others. The Klu Klux Klan. Westboro church. Al Qaeda. Darwin Bedford. Should we allow the execution of blacks and gays, the abolishment of religion and free reign of terrorism, as these people advocate?
  17. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    We already don't allow that via laws in plenty of countries. You've seemed to be arguing against the thoughts and ideas being prohibited and not just the actions that are already prohibited.
  18. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    They can advocate anything they like, as long as they don't break laws that already exist which prohibit the things they advocate doing.
  19. nancyallen Jedi Master

star 4
    Persecution of homosexuals is illegal as well yet this issue seems to keep coming up. Should those worried about it turn a blind eye because there are laws against it?
  20. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    I'd say that there's probably a decent case to be made that the current system does treat homosexuals unfairly because of the intolerances present in the rules. And the focus should be fixing the system, not tracking down anyone that thinks homosexuality is wrong.

There's a fundamental difference between saying a group is wrong and discussing that and "Whatever must be done to hunt down those with intolerant views must be done" and then further saying that "those who are intolerant must be stopped."
    Thats indicating not discussing the issues with those that are intolerant of someone we feel people should be tolerant of, but seems to clearly indicate that something should be done to those that hold intolerant viewpoints, with no mention that they have neccessarily carried out actions and violated laws in the process.

At that point, that sounds to me like you're driven to infringe upon the rights of others by your obsessive hatred of perceived intolerance.
  21. nancyallen Jedi Master

star 4
    Thing is the Klu Klux Klan are thugs. So is Westboro. So is Al Qaeda. So is Darwin Bedford and those who adopt his methods. You think these people can be reasoned with? You think they can be bargained with? Please, head over to where Osama Bin Laden is hiding and try discussing his intolerance with him.
  22. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    I completely disagree on Westboro. They're very distasteful, and I think some of what they do is disgusting, but I don't think there is anything further to do beyond attempts to engage them in discussion, even though I doubt it will accomplish anything. However, if they are going to continue to protest military funerals etc I don't think there is anything we can do or should do to stop them from doing that. They have a right to freedom of speech, and I'm not familiar of any case where Westboro actually caused physical harm or otherwise violated the law.

As for the Ku Klux Klan, at least as it currently exists, doesn't seem to be involved in crimes the way that the Klan of the 50s and 60s was, and while they still have rallies and marches, they're not violating law. So in that sense, again, I don't think that anything should be done to prevent their existance or viewpoints, no matter how wrong I believe them to be.
    (Note: This is based on that I can't find anything indicating that they are currently doing anything organised leading to crimes being commited, whereas there were stronger links to Klan actions and murders, bombings, etc in the 50s and 60s)

As for Al Qaeda, thats an entirely seperate situation as that is a criminal organisation that has orchestrated numerous murders, not limited to 9/11. Those are actual crimes and all those involved should be held accountable for the crimes committed.
  23. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Lowbacca, you're typing the words straight out of my head. I don't need to write a word because you're saying it all.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't oppose nancyallen's opinion that intoerlance is wrong. But as Lowbacca has noted, the call to "hunt down and stop" those who are intolerant is going too far.
  24. nancyallen Jedi Master

star 4
    Westboro are also strong advocates of killing homosexuals, if you didn't know. Should they be entitled to advocate this? "American blood must flow!" Muslim clerics scream in their temples, "America's limbs must be cut off! Mothers must mourn their sons! Wives must become widows!" Should this freedom of speech be allowed? If so then why are people punished and punished again for exercising their freedom of speech?
  25. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Once again, saying it is acceptable, even if its horrifying and any reasonable person (it seems) would disagree with what's being said. Once someone acts on what's being said, a crime will have been committed and the authorities, the courts, and the court of public opinion so to speak, can take it course.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.