main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 'canon' of the life and times of Dr. Indiana Jones

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jp-30, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Upping thread.

Will be interesting to see if Indy 4 takes place before or after the Mystery of the Blues bookends. Probably after.

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Most definatley after, unless they wanna try to de-age Harrison a bit.

In terms of the continuity discussion, I would rule out the novels for the most part, some of the stuff is just too far over the top, I mean, come on, and entire interior world?

I say you've got the movies, the Young Indy series, and the comics, especially the adaptations of the Fate of Atlantis game.

3. The_Minority

The_Minority Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    I for one loved the Young Indy tv show. It first aired when I was only a kid and I watched it all the time. I was a huge indiana jones fan, and still am today. Last year I went on a mission to get every single episode ever on dvd. Using various sources I was able to acquire all of the original, unedited tv episodes of young indy. the ones with 90year old indy telling the stories. And then I was also able to acquire all of the Edited Young Indy movies with old Indy edited out. The way the show was filmed was amazing not only did it have amazing effects and epic battle scenes for a tv show it also had a nearly flawless continuity to it. When you watch the edited movies, the Chapters 1 - 22 (which when the movies were released on video they were chapters 23-25), they flow together so flawlessly it's amazing they were filmed out of order. And in my opinion I definetly see the young indy show in continuity, not only was it produced by lucas, it fits in so well with the movies.

And to the poster who said he can't see this kid growing up to be adult indy, we only see him when he's 8 to 20 years old and the movies don't start for another 15 years later. So there is time for indy to be more of the "rugged" character he eventually becomes. But there were a lot of episodes where he learned lessons that would stick with him, like in The phantom train of doom, When he teams up with the old men he asks them what their plan is, and they say they don't have one. Indy replied, "So, you just make it up as you go? Thats good advice." Lol, loved that. And you see indy's love for history and archaeology in the show. And you definetly see the "years of field work" he talked about in temple of doom. I could argue alot of points for why it was so good, and should be in continuity, I actually will probably repost this in the Indy continuity topic that other poster put up. But for now off to bed. Oh, and sorry if that was a bit long winded.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    With KotCS now out almost a month, I thought it would be interesting to revisit this thread and see what has changed in regards to what is canon in the Indy universe. :)

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I would like to think of the TV series and the movies as the only official story about Indy, which is not to say that I don't enjoy other stuff inspired by the character. The only videogame I can remember, other than the new Lego one of course, is the Emperor's Tomb one, which I kind of enjoyed as a close-enough approximation to what Indy's all about. Better than than nothing while we were all waiting for the 4th movie to become a reality.

6. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I think canon should stick within each genre unless it clearly crosses over.

For example, x-men were comic books first. The comic books would be considered x-men canon. The movies are their own canon but until there is a clear reference in either one acknowledging previous events, then I would consider X-men story canon as what happens in the books. When discussing the movies, I don't think referencing the comics is useful because the story arcs are different.

So my opinion is the same with Indy. The movies are Indy's official canon (or story.) The television story used his name but I believe the intent was to be semi-educational and not establish movie Indy's backstory. I think movie Indy's backstory is dealt with within the context of the movies. While KOTC referenced Pancho Villa, I don't feel it was sufficient enough to validate YIJC as part of the movie storyline.

7. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    I've been wondering about the canonity of the Young Indy bookends now that Mutt has been introduced and Indy's marriage was so late. Are the Jones family members, Indy's daughter especially, in the series completely retconned now? Maybe that's why the bookends were removed? [face_thinking]

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea, I tend to feel the same way about the Young Indy series. It's in its own little universe but uses Indy's name to educate kids about history. I've never really bought the story they told in the series and try to act as if it doesn't exist in the film's backstory. I guess in a way, I'm creating my own version of Indy canon. But hey, if it makes me happy, so be it.

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Except we see young Indy, as played by River Phoenix, in Last Crusade, and he is nothing like the young Indy of the tv series. In Crusade he is single-minded, driven, and totally about archeology, while in the series he doesn't care about archeology, exhibits non of that Indy focus, and is basically a totally different character.

I enjoyed the Young Indy series, but there is no way that guy grew up to be the Indiana Jones of the movies. Character really isn't Lucas' strongpoint, it's something that he doesn't feel is important.

For me, only the movies are canon, and when I'm watching Raiders, sometimes I kind of discount the other films as well.:p

10. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    I personally had little problem with this because the Young Indy series has him at two ages on EITHER SIDE of the age River Pheonix portrayed him as. There is some interesting implied subtext that Indy and his father parted ways in terms of their respect for each other between LAST CRUSADE and the late-teens Young Indy, which could indicate his temporary lack of obsession with archeology.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    How much time would he really have had to think about archeology while in the middle of fighting and/or spying in World War I?

Let's remember that towards the end of the series, he makes it his priority to go to college and study archeology properly. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.