main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Captain Rex thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ArrogantJedi, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    Awesome character, whose fate yet remains unknown.

I think this clone was the perfect choice to be the founder and leader of the 501st during the Clone wars and right-hand man to Anakin, given his rather aggressive and "badass" nature.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him by the end of the show? What are your thoughts on this?

I personally think, that he will be killed off by the end of the show and that there are several very interesting ways this could be done that could tie in nicely with the events in ROTS.

Some things to look at:-

- It's important to take a look at which clones are leading the 501st during the end of the clone wars and attack on the temple in ROTS. It seems they are Clone Commander Appo and Sergeant Fox (going by wookiepedia).
    - Important to look at other key 501st members like Fives, Echo....who were inducted into the 501st by Rex himself, and consider their fates.

- I guess an interesting fate would be that Rex, unlike probably 99.8% of other clones, will disagree with Order 66 and turn against and be killed by members of the very team...the 501st, that he founded.
    - Scenario: Rex is about to "execute" a Jedi in accordance to Order 66, one that he grew fond of, only at the last second to point his blaster to either side of the Jedi and take out the clones next to him, along with several other key clones - perhaps even Fives and Echo (who perhaps agree with order 66, like most others), only to perhaps be killed by Anakin himself (then as Darth Vader), or gunned down by the men who will succeed him - Appo and Fox, after receiving a beating from Anakin. Anakin then promotes Appo and Fox after Rex is killed and raid the temple/continue to raid the temple.

2. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I don't know, if Rex lives until the Purge, I think he will follow orders like he always does since it's been established that he lives only to fulfill his duty and follow orders. It would be interesting though to see what happens to him, I actually like his character most out of all the clones.

3. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    I agree good character. I like him better than Cody. I think he must live up to close to Epi.III.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How do you know that it was Rex who founded the 501st? And why does he have to die?

5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Rex mentioned in Rookies that he's enlisting Echo and Fives into this new group he's created, the 501st (I believe).

And Rex doesn't HAVE to die. He just CAN die as is very likely to. Him and Ahsoka are the only major characters in the show that are not guaranteed to live. So it's safe to assume that at least one, if not both of them, will die at some point in the show. Character deaths can be used for some powerful moments and strong storytelling.

6. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    Yep. Some of the character deaths in star wars have been pretty disappointing, so hopefully the deaths of any major characters in the series will be done well. To be honest, I don't really see Rex surviving past the events of ROTS, much as I don't see Cad Bane lasting beyond the end of the clone wars and ROTS.

It would be interesting to see if the clones Appo and Fox are recruited into the 501st during the clone wars and rank below Rex - perhaps Appo will be made Sergeant at some point and is personally promoted by Anakin if something like the scenario I described takes place, including Fox. I'd definately like to see more individuality in the clones in the various units, particularly the 501st, as they were the ones who went with Anakin to raid the temple. Would be pretty ghastly to see the clones in such a good light in TCW, then in such a dark one at the end of the show, should it cross into ROTS timeframe - which I hope it does.

7. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I have several theories on Rex(same with Ahsoka). They're the two major characters whose fate we do not really know among the heroes. First off I would be all for killing Rex off later in the war in a good way with Anakin around possibly failing to save him to further push his eventual fall to darkness.

It's hinted that Rex creates the 501st under Anakin or renames his unit the 501st. Anakin might be winning a lot of battles for the Republic but he is still a young Jedi Knight and General, Jedi like Windu,Kenobi, Ki-Adi Mundi etc have greater and larger total troops than Anakin does right now in 22 BBY.

I for one would be all for him living as well, ROTS was made before Rex was even thought of. Unlike Ahsoka though Rex can easily be inserted into ROTS*. Also he doesn't even have to be in the movie to have survived, we didn't see Shaak Ti in the movie but she survived the attack on the Jedi Temple. Rex could be another connection Anakin(now Vader) can have to his past life. He is a young Sith Lord at the end of ROTS and still is struggling with it all and Rex can be a connection he has to the Clone Wars, where he was a Hero and Jedi General. Cody can also be the same but of course not to an extent like Rex can.

Overall if Rex can go down fighting protecting Anakin and than Anakin fails to save him it would be great, good storytelling and pushing Anakin more towards his fall. Though him living would be an interesting thing to have after he become Vader and has the suit, does Rex know that Vader is Anakin? Does Vader trust Rex enough to tell him? What is Rex's thoughts on hunting the Jedi now especially Obi-Wan?

*I feel TCW changed Order 66. These clones would not kill their Jedi Generals without hesitation(minus Cody who had a slight hesitation) like they did in ROTS. I wouldn't go as far as guaranteeing it but I can see GL changing it a bit, the clones are all CGI so it wouldn't be too difficult. It would also be easy to assert Rex in a scene talking to Anakin via Hologram during the attack on the Temple(which Lucasfilm can easily make it sound like Hayden.)

8. Brisi_Wine

Brisi_Wine Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2009

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Captain Rex. Biggest non-Jedi badass in TCW. By far my favorite clone, followed by Waxer, Boil, and Cody.

Thought of this scenario the other day: towards the end of the series, what if Rex and Ahsoka were sent on a mission, and in the midst of that Rex's Order 66 mechanism gets triggered by accident. As a result, he kills Ahsoka. Anakin and Cody then have to hunt down Rex.

There's something about Rex turning on Ahsoka that gets me goin, probably because of the way their relationship develops in the series.

I'm just as curious about Rex's fate as I am about Ahsoka's. (and Ventress as well of course).

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I wonder if we'll see anything, say, in the last season of TCW with respect to what exactly Order 66 means, or what the training/debriefing/indoctrination with it was.

I believe what Rex says is "just the kinda men I need for the 501st", and immediately the shinies were like :eek:

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That would be wise, because humanizing the clones doesn't require Order 66 to be changed. Also, Cody didn't hesitate. I believe you're referencing the scene in the novel, in which he merely expresses regret that the Order did not come through before he had given Obi-Wan back his lightsaber.

It doesn't work that way. It's an order, not a mechanism. There would have to be a faked transmission from Palpatine.

11. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    Wait, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me?

And yes Cody did hesitate, watch it again for the less than a second hesitation. I only caught it because I was looking for it. The Novel isn't canon and I didn't even read it, and the line he said after he was given doesn't sound like something Cody would say.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Novelizations are considered canon where they do not conflict with the films.

13. Brisi_Wine

Brisi_Wine Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2009
    Very true. I just thought it might be interesting to see it triggered by accident, although Palpatine doesn't have too many accidents, does he.

14. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    It really doesn't change anything regardless.

15. starwarsfanrol

starwarsfanrol Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2009
    Is Rex an ARC trooper?[face_thinking] He has ARC trooper armor. ARC trooper or not CC-7567 is awsome.
    I think he may have been serving Ahoska Tano at the time of order 66(19BBY) and either he killed her and died severving the clone trooper rebellion(from Star wars battlefront 2) or she killed him and died by another clone trooper.But I think he killed Ahsoka and died in the battle of kamino.

16. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    I've wondered that too. Wookiepedia says he's an ARC Trooper. But he's referred to as Captain and (no offense to Rex) while he is badass he not quite as badass as the ARC's in the comics were nor does he seem to have the same armor they do (flamethrower, the shoulder armor is different, and no taser wire). Maybe he was an exceptional clone who got ARC training.

17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'll re-post what I said in the closed thread:

It depends on whether Lucas sees Rex as the leader of the 501st or not. In his databank entry at starwars.com, it says that he is indeed the leader of the 501st. Other sources pertaining to the TV show like his bio at Cartoon Network's site also refer to him as leader of the 501st battalion. C-canon sources explain that he is the leader only of Torrent Company within the 501st. It depends on how Lucas sees him. If he is the leader of the 501st, then it means he has to die prior to ROTS in order to be replaced by Appo. Or Appo would have to be retconned into Rex, or Appo would have to be retconned into not being in charge of the 501st, etc.

As far as Order 66 goes. The means by which it is carried out gets harder and harder to accept - IMO - now that the clones have been humanized. Rex for instance showed that he was sympathetic to Cut's choice to go AWOL and settle down with a family. He at first said he was obligated to report Cut, but apparently decided he was willing to disregard that obligation in the end. He knew Cut for a very, very short time. We also saw that Slick was willing to betray the Republic to do what he felt was right and help CIS defeat the Republic so that the Republic would no longer be able to use his "brothers" as "slaves."

The clones also show the capacity for compassion when Waxer and Boil help Numa. I find it hard to believe that these same clones would turn on their generals - of three years - when some guy that neither looks nor sounds like the Palpatine they know says, "The time has come. Execute Order 66." Then they conspicuously begin to address Palpatine as "Lord," kill those that had served with them and had risked their lives in service of the Republic, begin systematically arresting the freedom fighters on Kashyyyk and Utapau, and even go as far as to point a blaster at a Senator when he tries to push past them and fires on him when he witnesses the death of a Jedi.

That would be easier to buy if that behavior was programmed into them (apparently not) or if what Lama Su said was true about them obeying any order without question (also not true).

18. Ciara

Ciara Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2010
    Couldn't it be possible that "Execute Order 66" is a trigger? Somewhere along their accelerated growth, something like that was programmed into them as a sleeper trigger and only that phrase would completely change their order of thinking.

I've been hypnotized before (quite fun!), and I'm not suggesting something as weak as hypnotism, it would probably take something stronger and years of brain washing (but when you don't have too much of original thought to begin with, is it brain washing?). But I know that when I was hypnotized, and I was sent back into the crowd and my "trigger" was said, I had no choice but to stand up and shout something at the top of my lungs. It wasn't until the deed was done that I realized I had done it. And for a while, I had to justify to myself that it was important I had to shout that something, even though my friends continued to tell me I had been hypnotized.

So maybe it's a sort of trigger the Kaminoan's put into the Clone's. For ten years they created a secret clone army without question, I have a feeling they wouldn't question what they were instructed to include in the clones.

19. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I've been on the fence for awhile on if he'll obey Order 66 or not, but I've been picking up on, what I think at least, are clues they've been dropping in the series about his personal character. These clues lead me to believe that either he won't obey it, or, if he does, it's going to be so very tragically ironic that he does so.

First, in the movie he says "In my book, experience outranks everything."

So, when the order comes down, will he weigh his personal experience with the Jedi, and Ahsoka in particular, against the order?

In "The Deserter" he speaks of his motivations for fighting in the war. Interestingly, it's not because he was born to, but because he's part of a pivotal moment in history and is fighting against a terrible evil he can't well imagine.

So, if experience, which he values, tells him the Republic is falling under an evil influence, will he disobey?

Then again in "The Deserter" he does just that. He disobeys a standing order to turn in deserters. We know this is a standing order because when Cut asks if Rex plans to turn him in, Rex responds like he has no choice. Then at the end, he says he won't.

So, Rex is a free thinker who values experience, and has a clear capacity to disobey orders. What will happen in the end? Good question. It'll be interesting to see though.

20. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Order 66 is a trigger, genetically. I think it's pretty well documented and also clear from the scene in ROTS where Cody turns on Obi-wan on a dime. One minute they are chummy (just like in TCW), then next it's all "blast that Jedi!"

21. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Have you all read the book "Order 66 then? If not you all will like it. It sheds some light on the Order.

22. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    I've made several posts off this site regarding Order 66.

I was having a discussion with another member at Rebelscum and he said instead of changing a lot of the scene just to add some lines in. Make a whole new shot of Cody before telling the AT-TE to fire with his head down saying something along the lines of "Sorry old friend.." or something like that. Also with Bly saying something similar.

All in all I personally(and I'm sure a lot of others are like this) want to see the scene changed a little, add in a line or two. I also expect this to happen when the PT is edited for blu-ray release.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    No, it has been said directly that it is not a genetic trigger. Just one of many emergency situation protocols:
    * Order 4: In the event of the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) being incapacitated, overall GAR command shall fall to the vice chair of the Senate until a successor is appointed or alternative authority identified as outlined in Section 6 (iv).
    * Order 5: In the event of the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) being declared unfit to issue orders, as defined in Section 6 (ii), the chief of the defense staff shall assume GAR command and form a strategic cell of senior officers (see page 1173) until a successor is appointed or alternative authority identified.
    * Order 37: Capture of a single wanted individual through the mass arrest and threatened execution of a civilian population. Follow-up directives include scenarios for body disposal of civilian casualties and suppression of communications.
    * Order 65: In the event of either (i) a majority in the Senate declaring the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) to be unfit to issue orders, or (ii) the Security Council declaring him unfit to issue orders, and an authenticated order being received by the GAR, commanders shall be authorized to detain the Supreme Commander, with lethal force if necessary, and command of the GAR shall fall to the acting Chancellor until a successor is appointed or alternative authority identified as outlined in Section 6 (iv).
    * Order 66: In the event of Jedi officers acting against the interests of the Republic, and after receiving specific orders verified as coming directly from the Supreme Commander (Chancellor), GAR commanders will remove those officers by lethal force, and command of the GAR will revert to the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) until a new command structure is established.

What gets me is the idea that them being genetically programmed makes more sense to people.

Genetic programing does not make the least bit of sense. (Italicized for emphasis). DNA does not play any role in your thought process. It does not play any role in the day to functions of your body. It barely affects your personality. DNA is a code for building cells when you need to build them...when you grow, for example, or when you heal, and it is only activated in those times. Additionally, it is a rather simple mechanism certain base pairs in certain places grow certain organs in certain places. there is no room to program in complex instructions to external stimuli.
    Additionally, if they were programmed to go against their personalities, then how could they retain the free will necessary to operate in complex situations; that is to combat against a deadly opponent in widely varying environments and tactical situations? Skill, free will and personality are not so easily separated.

As for turning on friends...it happens. A lot. I remember the story of an Emperor and a monk who became good friends. Trusted companions. So the Emperor asked the monk to leave his order and join the imperial court. The monk refused. So the Emperor had the monk whipped to death.
    Even beyond that, I think people underestimate how effective twenty or so years of brainwashing can be. When your ever moral, every bed time story, every thought that has ever been fed to you is to be loyal and obey...that is powerful. Men have done so much more for so much less in the real world. Children turned against loving parents by school teacher's propaganda, hometowns slaughtered in the name of loyalty not imposed nearly ass effectively, people turning against what they know is right for the sake of those they were taught to obey.

And for the record, Bly and Ayla are not friends. We get some stories from Bly's perspective. He respects her on a professional level, but he finds the idea of fri

24. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    I disagree with that. It was shown later on in the war Bly and Aayla got a lot "closer" or "personal." Comics wise at least. But obviously that can change, stay the same or explained a bit more with the show changing CW continuity.

Also I think a lot of Jedi and their clone commanders/captains/etc etc become friends to a certain extent with some of them no matter what people think. Just my opinion of course.

25. Sarli_brint

Sarli_brint Jedi Knight

Dec 2, 2008
    Hello,

This may be my first posting on these boards. I've been reading so much on this site for so long, I honestly can't remember if I haveever posted or not.

But, I have to way in on this. Order 66 was, at least in some part, a genetically programmed or subconsciously programmed trigger. I don't believe there can be any question on that fact.

In the novelization of ROTS, it says:

"Codey responded as he had been trained since before he'd even awakened in his Kresh school."

It all but comes out an says it is a hard wired type of programming. They couldn't have spelled out some sort of genetic or mind programming more clearer then that, without actually coming out and saying it, I think.

Now to get this slightly back on topic, and not start yet anothr Order 66 debate...I think there is a very good possibility that Captain Rex, if he survives long enough, could disobey Order 66. Or, if he isn't able to resist it, well, what happens to him after that is anyone's guess.