main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Captain Rex thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ArrogantJedi, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It seems that alot of Captains or Commanders use Dual Wielding in the show

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Weapons should behave exactly as they do IRL? Sure IRL the Mythbusters busted duel wielding pistols. IRL there are no laser firing pistols. IRL there are no lightsabers. How can you just assume the behavior of SW weapons like that? While it looks simple enough, Rex's pistol is likely not a straight up comparison to your standard issue M9 pistol. Real life pistols recoil, they push you back and can even make your arm sore when firing. They need two hands. The pistols carried by Rex don't seem to have the slightest kick back. Although they are large they sound light. In Carnage when Rex draws his pistol to attempt to execute Krell it makes a creaking sound that reminds me of when a cheap laptop is picked up from the corner and you can literally hear the sound of the thin plastic bending and sagging. Being ridiculously light would make them easier to aim and use. The bolt itself appears to be as powerful as a regular blaster and seems capable to traveling a long distance. The size of Rex's sniper wound wasn't any larger then the holes we usually see from Rex's own blasters.

Really it almost seems like the opposite for pistols vs blasters in TCW. Then Clone Troopers also have something like a HUD in their helmet that likely displays crosses on every target approaching. This probably allows Rex a high degree of accuracy to shoot at two targets at once with both his pistols. Rex seems to have really fast reflexes. Fast enough to beat an animal with cat-like reflexes. On screen Rex is skilled and highly accurate with his blasters. Keeli was as well. Keeli was about to die and perhaps an adrenaline rush explains how he is able to aim without looking. I've heard stories where time can seem to slow down like that, particularly in life or death situations. You never know what you can do until you have to do it. I sincerely hope you never encounter a situations where you have to find out what you can do or die. There are stories of soldier holding off with just pistols.

That's cool if you can't suspend your belief that far, that's subjective. I could see that with something like a modern war film. But when it comes to something like Star Wars a space fantasy or some sci-fi film with clearly more advanced technology I feel its more like we're getting caught up thinking about a bad trope that doesn't really apply here.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Blasters don't fire lasers. And the force of any kind of matter (in this case plasma) out of a barrel is going to produce recoil.. Some suspension of disbelief is required just because in reality Lucas says "action" and Harrison Ford, Mark Hammill, Natalie Portman, etc. just have to improvise that they're firing a gun when they have a prop that doesn't do anything. But even in that acting we see Han and Padme's arms recoiling pretty significantly at times (subject to their imagination but still dictates what we see on screen). And it's not JUST about recoil. A longer barrel is going to fire a projectile with greater power and a longer distance. If this did not apply, then there wouldn't be rifles and sniper rifles in the SW universe and we wouldn't see Star Wars weapons imitating real world weapons almost exactly in their specialized roles. Rex is a soldier on a battlefield having to take out enemies at times a long distance away. A pistol is a stretch. A smaller barrel accommodating less plasma, with less force propelling it a shorter distance.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Do they even reload their guns in SW or what?

5. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    In the films and TV show I don't think it's ever been touched upon. In the EU the are powered by energy packs that need to be changed. When it comes to Jango and Keeli, they are also shown to alternate shots from each pistol - OOU it might have been Temuera just being creative. IU it might mean that sustained shots from one could lead to overheating making it necessary to alternate to allow each pistol a chance to cool down. It's also peculiar that there are few instances besides for the minigun and turret emplacements that we see blasters firing with any high rate of fire - perhaps due to overheating?

I don't know. This is getting into nerdy fictional tech territory that I generally refuse to get involved in after seeing people at each others' throats over arbitrary calculations of the power output of the Death Star or over if the Enterprise-D or Enterprise-E had stronger phasers. Because I'm sure it's something Lucas and Filoni don't care/think about. There are plenty of movies that are supposed to take place in the real world where the guns apparently have infinite ammo too. Showing something as mundane as reloading after every thirty shots probably ruins the pacing.

[​IMG]

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Blasters doesn't exists!?!?!? Lightsabers doesn't exists!?!?!?There is no sound in space!?![face_laugh] OMG Star Wars is so unrealistic!:p

7. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    That seems to be everyone's go to straw man to deflect any criticism of Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and any spaced-based sci-fi. "Well there's no sound in space, so mleh."

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    In Power Rangers, heh, the official explanation for characters being unprotected in space is there is air in space in that universe. xD

I'm an amateur astronomer with a few 'light cannons' so the space stuff in alot of fantasy and sci-fi always requires my suspension of belief. The idea a planet wouldn't rotate is insane to me. But its all fiction, its all fun.

I recalled the History Channel special "Star Wars Tech" talked about SW blasters and described the idea of packets of plasma being fired but the scientists they were talking to said this was something outside the scope of what we currently understand if its possible. For one plasma cools to quickly. In SW they are still light years ahead and doing stuff we don't understand so I won't get all bent out of shape comparing to modern real work tech. I know my own attempt to dumb droids down to PCs to explain stuff is in itself a bit silly.

I would agree with you if this were Call of Duty the Movie. But I don't agree if when talking about a much more advanced society or even if we're in an alternate universe. Rex uses two pistols at once. He seems damn effective with them on screen. He isn't the only one. I was talking about just the pistols when I said they seem to have little recoil and sound very light.

If anything it tends to look more ridiculous when Rex right outfront shooting without any cover and just never gets hit. Character shielded. I really like when he is stuck with a glancing blow in "Tresspass."

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  9. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think the boat on SW being real sailed a long time ago, I think with the first sentence of the opening crawl.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    But lightsabers don't exist :p

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Pffft... I've bought like 20 of those things from Walmart over the years.

12. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Man, the movies say you cut yourself if a lightsaber blade hits you. But I tried that multiple times (not on purpose) and my body's still perfectly intact! The movies are SOOOOO unrealistic! George Lucas can take his stories and #%%#%@#$%#@%, as far as I'm concerned!

13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Regardless of all your derailing of the topic, the use of two short ranged pistols all the time is stupid as far as I'm concerned. Then again I think humanising the clones and Rex possibly not following Order 66 is stupid.

TaradosGon and CT-867-5309 like this.
  14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    His toy comes with bigger weapons, so just think of it as that they are not being used in the show. :p

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I am pretty sure Rex is the guy Dave will use to explore the commentary in The Hidden Enemy and Order 66.

16. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    It is sure it will be Rex. Quite sure...

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Who better than Rex and Fives?

18. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I would say nobody in a clone body...

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Rex vs. Wolffe. That's what I'm sayin.

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Still waiting for a clone to do something dark/evil and foreshadow their role as the Empire's stormtroopers. Even if it's something completely unintentional. Like in Titanic where the crewman panics and "accidentally" shoots one of passengers before turning the gun on himself. Not so much a clone shooting himself, but crossing a line rather than staying the righteous soldiers the whole time.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Kinda think the republic needs to be shown doing something evil first with a clone like Fives or actually Boil going along with it. I bet ya that reality switch is in the clones somewhere. Like where mass murders wake up and realize what they've done then end up shooting themselves because the reality of what they did hits them. I rather like the idea of one clone going haywire and slaughtering a group of people. Maybe out of bigotry or in some sort of defense of himself just for that exploration.

I've actually like the idea of Rex falling on his own sword so to speak when this is all over. It calls back to Rex's speech about the republic. Then suddenly there's the evil can't well imagine. His brothers are part of it. He's part of it but he's awake. The guy shoots himself.

22. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I would have loved if there was a scene on Umbara where we have a 501st clone trying to kill an entire family of Umbarans but Rex stops him. That would have been an awesome contrast and character building for Rex.

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Reminds me of the early speculations of Waxer's appearances in Umbara having something to do with Umbaran children getting shot, only for him to get killed in Carnage.

24. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I am sad that they killed off Waxer cause he was more developed than Boil - Boil had to die...

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Eh, Waxer death was probably the best in the series, a horrible pointless death that didn't have to happen yet harks back to the fortune cookie for "Innocents of Ryloth" which is like my favorite one ever. It came out of the blue and originally I was pretty pissed. True story, I cried when the guy died. Yet I have come to understand it now.