Clone Wars The Captain Rex thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by ArrogantJedi, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    It bodes ill then that it was Karen Traviss who made up the stuff about the emergency situation protocols, and we all know how well TCW treats her RC-series material. [face_devil]
  2. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Fair enough...thoguh i must emphasis again that when we see an older, Imperial Bly, he expresses no regret, and is rather eager to kill jedi for the sake of his record.

Things change:

Dark Times also specifically said it wasn't pre-programmed, and there were some cases of the Clones disobeying: Commando Team Ion saved their jedi, and later on a pilot helped some jedi kids escape for Imperial patrols.

People greatly exaggerate how much Clone Wars has changed or negated the work of Travis. There is very little that cannot be reconciled...and most of the differences are in themes and atmosphere, not hard facts.

In any case, the other contingency orders have been mentioned elsewhere. For example, Vader mentions them in Dark Times, where he finds out that there is a contingency order to kill him too.

Anyway, to get back on topic: I think all of Rex's independence is foreshadowing that he will disobey Order 66...or, if he doesn't live that long, that he will at some point choose "what is right" over "obeying orders".
  3. mighty_mouse_droid Jedi Master

star 1

At first I was on the fence whether or not Rex would disobey Order 66, but after seeing "The Deserter", I'm pretty much convinced he will (disobey). It just seems too implausible that such a free-thinking clone who's fighting to protect the Republic "from an evil he can't well imagine" could comply with such an order.

Even if he was indoctrinated, I still think a strong mind like his will end up realizing the moral value of such and act and choose to disregard it.

Will he make it to Order 66? I believe so.

Will he follow order 66? Definitely not.

Will he survive past Order 66? I like to think so. I also like to think he will have a big role in the early days of the Rebelion, giving them inside info and whatnot.

Go, Rex Old Boy, Go.
  4. Sarli_brint Jedi Grand Master

I totally agree because he has, in a way, already chosen what is right over orders in "The Deserter".

Whether order 66 is a pre-programmed trigger either by genetics or subliminal methods or both or is just another standard emergency contingency order with no special reenforcements will probably always be a great fan debate. I choose to air on the former rather than the latter side of things for the time being, but cloning technology and programming technology is not perfect, not even in a galaxy far far away. It is a matter of nature versus nurture, and environment has a large impact on what we do, even for the clones.

I think that Rex has a really good chance of disobeying Order 66, if he lives that long.
  5. CaptainRex250 Jedi Padawan

Almost everyone wants CAPTAIN REX to live till order 66 and disobey order 66. The whole point of Star Wars The >>CLONE<< Wars was to look closer into clones. The movie doesn't really explain the Clones were attached to their Jedi Commanders. But one thing I do notice is that when the clones fire on their Jedi most of the time the Jedi were not looking (they couldn't look their commanders in the eye. With the exception of one of the Jedi Ki Adi who treated his clones like jerks. Like many other people I believe Captain Rex will not obey order 66. It wouldn't make sense otherwise. I think "Deserter" shows that fact. Captain Rex is a INDEPENDENT thinker, and sometimes VOICES HIS OPINIONS to those above. That is a extract from his profile on Wookipedia, all of this foreshadows Rex will disobey order 66. And the fact that Palptine got "Emergency Powers" which allowed him to disband the Jedi. And immediately does just that I think is a bit lame.
  6. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Is Rex the leader of the entire 501st, or just Torrent Company? Because in the novels his authority seems limited to Torrent Company, while the show has him commanding many clones from other branches of the 501st. Also, promotional material says he's the leader.

Does anyone have an answer??
  7. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    He's actually a captain in the 501st, but leader of Torrent Company. In various sources, they claim this. In the TCW and No Prisoners novel, it has been said that he's the leader of Torrent Company. Don't look at the "The Clone Wars Campaign guide," as they incorrectly called Rex a commander.
  8. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    So basically he's directly in charge of Torrent Company, but can also give orders to clones outside of that company?
  9. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    That's the confusing part of it. We haven't heard of a Torrent Company mention yet in TCW, as it's mostly in the tie-in novels or sources. So far we don't know if those clones he's leading are part of Torrent Company.
  10. Bly Force Ghost

star 4
    What seems to be the case is that while Rex is de jure Torrent Company CO, he's de facto commander of whatever troopers happen to be under Anakin, as the Hero with No Fear can't be arsed to bring a senior Clone officer with him on his jaunts. :p
  11. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    It likely depends on the situation, but there are certainly situations where he can order clones he simply outranks. "Rookies", for example.
  12. cadbanerocks21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm just spit balling, but like Ghost Company is the 312th Legion, Green Company is the 41st Elite Corps, etc., I think the 5901st is nicknamed Torrent Company.
  13. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    A Company is just a segment of a Legion.
  14. cadbanerocks21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
  15. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    If you know, then how can you say that "Ghost Company is the 312th Legion, Green Company is the 41st Elite Corps" and "501st is nicknamed Torrent Company" ?
  16. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    He doesn't know. But doesn't want to admit it.
  17. cadbanerocks21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Why don't you mind your own business before you get us both banned.
  18. Alexrd Force Ghost

star 5
    Making questions when you reply afterwards that you know the answer is trolling. I don't see why I would be banned. Care to explain?
  19. cadbanerocks21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Okay, you know what, let's just forget the whole thing, okay? Now let's get back to the thread.;)

Has anyone read Prisoners? That gives a description of Rex and Torrent Company.
  20. Rexter-fangirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yep. I still find Rex's hair style description in the beginning outrageous [face_laugh]
  21. cadbanerocks21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I thought that was that Admiral's hair.
  22. Rexter-fangirl Jedi Knight

star 1
    Nah Rex said he was supported the boloball finals. Blue striiiiipes~
  23. cadbanerocks21 Jedi Youngling

star 2
  24. LukeTano Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Order 66 could have been an order he gave the clones and told them to execute it if he told them to execute it. He could have said "I believe the Jedi are planning to take over. I believe they will try to assassinate me. If this happens, I will contact you and you know your duty as soldiers of the Republic.". He could have just said that right after Anakin left to go rat him out to Mace Windu. Waiting would give him time for Anakin to be turned and for him to have an excuse to justify it in the Senate. That's why he issued it pretty much immediately after Mace was killed, only waiting to make Anakin Darth Vader. He was, no doubt, plotting to do something like this all along, a plot which Mace may have been starting to unravel shortly before Anakin came to him to expose Palpatine.

What gets me is that Anakin doesn't say "Don't hurt Obi-wan!" or "Don't hurt Ahsoka!" or "Don't hurt Obi-wan or Ahsoka!". He just goes off to the Temple to kill younglings, and a few other Jedi like Jocasta Nu that get in his way. How could he have turned against Obi-wan and Ahsoka simply because he became a Sith Lord? If it's because they're Jedi, then wouldn't he be turning on Padmé, before the Mustafar scene, because she is against the Clone Wars and actually feared the Republic was becoming an empire so she'd obviously be very against what he was going to do?

Also, why did Bail Organa come to the Temple? If it was because of the smoke, how come others didn't come and find out the truth and fight against Palpatine? Did Rex turn on the clones and tip him off? Did Ahsoka survive and tip him off, which I hope she survives the war and Order 66 and the Purge and the GCW? Are Rex and Ahsoka working together against Anakin and Palpatine and the 501st?

How did Palpatine just take over like that and get away with it? Are there some in the Senate who actually know he's Darth Sidious but don't care as they're in on the Empire plot? Is Tarkin one of them? It'd be interesting to see him up to no good, considering how heartless he is in Episode IV blowing up Alderan.

25. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Stay on target, this is the Rex thread.[face_shame_on_you]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.