Clone Wars The Captain Rex thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by ArrogantJedi, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I find it just as significant Rex put a line in there between regular seperatist and Dooku. Rex knew what he was looking at, I think he knew he was looking at a Jedi fallen to the darkside. Thats probably in his training. Buts interesting he sees a darkside Jedi as not just another whanna be seperatist. He seemed to refer to Dooku like he's something else. Rex holds a particularly high opinion of the Jedi although Fives seems to as well. He's flabergasted but able to comprehend it.

I think Rex was meant to learn a few different lessons here. Rex has already learned he can make his own decisions and there is always a choice. In Umbara he learned honor is about more than being the perfect and obedient soldier. The wrong orders can even come from Jedi and its his responsibility to call out the unjust orders. Rex also learned just how disposible him and his brothers are.

I don't think Rex sees the war as pointless just yet. I think he's simply started questioning his place in a war that is all he's ever known and what comes next for him and his men. I think the friendly fire incident and apprehension of Krell is what caused it. The next evolution in Rex's character maybe reach a place where he does see the war as completely pointless. I think its likely Rex is wondering about Krell's vision and the idea Seperatists and the Republic don't matter. Which would probably fuel Rex's questioning his own purpose and existance. Not nessicarily the implications that both sides may lose the war. I guess for another TCW ending theory it is possible TCW is setting up something like LoE for Rex and Ahsoka.

[quote=sw
  2. sacharias Jedi Knight

star 2
    I may be really dense, but what is "LoE"?

Okay Swash, most of what you posted is, IMHO, simply a rephrasing of what you've already said, but this is a bridge too far for me (and I don't mean that in a personal way - I simply don't "get" this point-of-view at all). After seeing the stark contrast between clones like Rex and Wolffe in the first half of Season 4, and an intense, dark and foreboding Umbara arc that's riddled with ROTS/Order 66 foreshadowing, I simply don't see how you can liken Seerow's suggestion to something as generic and unfounded as "DS Barriss kills Ahsoka."

(I also humbly submit that that comparison is not a charitable way to "discredit" a POV. If this was a debate on a serious issue (and it's not) I would find that insulting)

The idea of Wolffe executing Order 66 against Ahsoka is as well-founded as any speculation can be. Regardless of unsourced comments that "Plo is Dave's favorite", the fact remains that Plo Koon has been a key component of Ahsoka's story throughout TCW, as recently as the S3 finale. He's starred in a major role alongside Ahsoka several times, as Seerow listed above.

And Wolffe and Wolfpack are (as Seerow also said) the only repeated original clone characters who've actually been given real character development. While the droid's duology might have centered on R2 and Threepio, Wolffe and his men were given some clear and ominous character development, marking them as the most likely candidates for executing Order 66. Comparing that to "Commander Monnk" is simply silly.

Obviously there are many one-offs or short stories starring characters other than Ahsoka or Rex. But the fact is, Ahsoka and Rex are the main, original characters of TCW. They have the most potential of any character for that reason.

And you're making a very - to borrow your term - "far-fetched" assumption that these other storylines won't somehow tie into the overall story of Ahsoka and of Rex. We're already seeing signs that Ahsoka and the Death Watch story are being brought together, with Lux Bonteri in the middle. That means that all the "non-Ahsoka-or-Rex" episodes/arcs with Obi-Wan, Satine and the DW could very well be pointing right back to these two original characters.

TCW will end eventually. It can only end once. There will be only one, central storyline that carries through to the very end. What is it going to be? New camera angles for ROTS? Cad Bane watching the news from one of his hideouts? Or perhaps a final chapter in the ongoing story of an upstart Padawan and loyal clone Captain, seeing and experiencing the events leading up to and including the fall of the Republic, all f
  3. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    To be honest I'm going to retract that statement. I don't feel confident in what I'm talking about with this.
  4. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Labyrinth of Evil(?)

Fanon is fanon- Seerow suggests something that is possible but that is IMO unfounded- DS Barriss is also possible but yeah maybe bit less probable.....

Why dark side Barriss is so ridiculous then? I just don't see it same way- I'm not discrediting anything- why my opinion is so important anyway? I have no right to compare POVs but you seem to have some right to do that, when you've decided that Seerow's POV is somehow better.o_O Just like it more than mine -but that doesn't mean anything but difference in opinions.....

Yes he has been major part of her story but I don't see that necessarily means anything concerning Wolfies- and Dave has said many times Plo is his fav that is not unfounded while unsourced....

Not true- we had several 501st and only Wolffe has character development really...

Who is discrediting opinion now? Monnk and Comet has same amount of character development IMHO and calling me silly is not very mature- Wolffe has more character than Monnk yes that is true- but Monnk may receive some in the future- Wolffe was no more developed or interesting than Gree during season1(he was in fact the most boring clone ever with no armor or anything) - judging character by first appearance is not giving a right picture[face_shame_on_you]

uh.... I don't see how Cat and Mouse could develop Ahsoka or Rex or Senate Murders or Shadow Warrior- there is many episodes that have NOTHING to do with them and need not to "The Clone Wars" is more than story of Ahsoka and Rex....

I don't see any reason to think so- they can end storylines one by one and save the final one (probably Ahsoka's fate) to the very very end- but Rex for example and Wolffe may die during the ending season before any "final ending". Echo was developed pretty much and then killed in Counterattack.

I think Wolffe receives same kind of fate...
  5. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    The new interview with DBB is pretty neat. His points on why Rex is so popular as the obtainable hero and the everyman of the cast were spot on. Was neat to hear he writes notes next to the names of individual clones on the scripts. One thing that really got my attention was him talking about how invested he is in Rex's fate. He mentions the finale is being worked on with this, so there is now very little doubt in my mind Rex will die before the finale if DBB himself doesn't see it coming before the finale.

Also Wolffe it seems will be in "Escape from Kadavo" along with Sinker and Boost.
  6. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Sorry, can you explain this a little more? You think Rex will die before the finale because DBB doesn't see it coming before the finale? Or do you mean you think it will happen during the finale based on what he said?
  7. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Sorry,

DBB mentioned the finale is being heavily discussed when talking about Rex's fate, not surprisingly DBB is the most anxious to find out about what will happen to "Anakin's right hand man". Based on what he said. DBB does not seem to believe the character will die or have anything fateful happen to him until then. Based on this I don't think Rex will die or desert or have anything fateful like that happen to him until the finale. The main clone hero is with us for the long haul.
  8. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Got it, thanks. That's good news, and what I think many of us expected. Now to just wait until the finale to see Rex most likely either die or desert, especially if it does coincide with Order 66. And of course to see how Ahsoka and Fives figure into that. I foresee Ahsoka living and fleeing either with Rex (Rex lives) or because of his actions (Rex dies)... and I foresee Fives dying in order to enable either scenario to happen (gunfight with other clones).

Note to self: even if the Maul stuff does suck, come back to TCW to see the clone-related stuff and the series finale. :p
  9. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    ^Ditto that. DBB should be the official spokes person for TCW. He's the best in interviews IMO, he gives the best hints, and makes everything he talks about sound epic.
  10. sacharias Jedi Knight

star 2
    Completely agree. I could listen to that guy forever - he's got a way with words, as Fives would say. Absolutely my favorite actor in the cast. Remember when DBB said that the Umbara arc made him cry? I used to think he was being a bit over-dramatic to sell the show, but good grief... he wasn't kidding.

I think this interview confirms what most of us have been suspecting - the fates of Rex and (I think) Ahsoka are going to become crucial to the finale of the show. I still think Ahsoka has a better chance of survival than Rex because she's more marketable in later EU material (hey, I'd read a novel about Rex in a post-ROTS setting, but would anyone else?).

11. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
  12. sacharias Jedi Knight

star 2
    Really? Wolfpack in "Escape from Kadavo"? Yes, I'd like to see him in "A Friend in Need" but I'll take Rex and Wolffe in the same episode any day!

Clearly you've got me firmly entrenched in the 'Wolffe' camp. :p. But in all seriousness, if something like that scenario is in the works, we need Wolffe and Rex to get some sort of connection, perhaps even more so than Ahsoka and Wolffe. All these characters are just an assignment away from being together, after all. For a true Rex vs Wolffe vs Ahsoka scenario, each character needs their own development first and foremost. The connections that matter most (IMHO) are between Ahsoka and Rex, and between Rex and Wolffe.

I also like that we're getting a core of named clones on either "side" (assuming that this works out like we're thinking). Rex, Fives, Jesse (I wonder if Chopper will show up again?) to Wolffe, Sinker, Boost and Comet.

Another thought: the fact that they're bringing Wolffe in instead of Cody is very interesting to me. Cody is already in on this mission. He's Obi-Wan's commander, after all. Wolffe has no connection to Rex and the Jedi trio, other than via Plo Koon/Ahsoka. Obviously in-universe Cody may be busy or Wolffe may be nearby, but it seems to me TCW is going out of their way to ramp up Wolffe and Wolfpack's appearances on the show - I didn't even remember who Wolffe was when this season kicked off.

The pieces are falling in place...
  13. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Isn't Chopper 212th? I'd like to see that guy as well. He seems like he's got way more screws loose than Hardcase which is something I feel we need to see. A clone that is beyond logic completely insane.

I'm dissapointed so far Wolffe is not mentioned in "A Friend in Need" mainly because I want Plo Koon to show up in that episode although it may simply be to early anyways.

This is what happened in the comic so Wolfpack appearing in the slave arc is probably just to follow the comic but does feel like Wolfpack cameos are increasing. I am a little confused by Wolfpack coming to the aid in "Escape". I would think the 212th and a chunk of the 501st would be out there somewhere waiting for a signal to come in and bulldose Kadavo. Its interesting Wolfpack and Plo will once again be coming to the rescue, that's getting a little repetative. But hopefully Rex and Wolffe get a face to face meeting. Maybe Anakin, Obi-wan, Ahsoka, and Rex are not on a Jedi Council or republic approved mission.

I figure that Sinker, Boost, or Comet will die and there will be three on both sides.
  14. Coric Force Ghost

star 4
    I read Dee's interview today.. I find it interesting he kind of hints at more clone arcs in the future ;)

By kind of I mean it's mainly my wishful thinking that he means that.
  15. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I meant to ask earlier; where is this interview found? Thanks.
  16. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I think I heard it was in Insider.
  17. Coric Force Ghost

star 4
    Indeed.

If I find the patience I'll type it out :p
  18. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I'm going to choose to believe they are clone arcs. DBB along to JAT are the two VA's working on TCW who deliver on what they tease us with.
  19. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    If Wolfies are in Escape from Kadavo then they definitely shouldn't be in that following arc- dear Force that would mean Wolfies start to "over-appear" in TCW... They are kinda interesting but not that interesting...
  20. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Oh, in Insider, OK. No need to type it out (for me anyway)... I'll check it out at a bookstore sometime. Thanks.
  21. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I'll take all the Wolfpack appearances the show will give me thanks. My bias only increases seeing what appears to be Fox's phase II armor. That guy could never stand up to Rex or Fives in a fight.
  22. sacharias Jedi Knight

star 2
    Unless... the 'Wolfies' are in fact the clones that will eventually execute Order 66 against TCW's central Jedi character. Then it would make perfect sense to show them more and more often as time goes on.

[face_thinking] Now where have I heard such a "far-fetched" scenario before? :p
  23. Seerow SWTV★Manager

Manager
    star 6
    From me apparently.

I got a new question I've been thinking about... In Umbara which clones muddied the waters? Was it Appo or Dogma or Tup? Is it someone who wasn't in the arc... Just curious what others thoughts are.
  24. Coric Force Ghost

star 4
    I really think it was a mixture between Dogma's trust in EVERY plan Krell had, Rex's uncertainty, Jesse's distaste toward Krell, and Tup.. well.. Tup just went with whatever was popular at the time. Appo didn't really do anything special IMO. He was just.. there.
  25. sacharias Jedi Knight

star 2
    Here's what I think - the clones that developed strong, outspoken viewpoints regarding Krell are pretty much Fives, Jesse, and Dogma. Rex is in a class of his own; Hardcase is just having fun, and Tup is basically a "stock" clone surrounded by outspoken veterans.

While new to us, Dogma is not a shiny, IMHO - he seems to be a Sergeant, based on his position during the firing squad scene. He clearly has developed a very fierce sense of loyalty and dedication to orders and protocol. Like Jesse and Fives, Dogma is very individualistic (though he'd probably deny that) - he's simply chosen to think and act in a very different way.

In fact, Dogma is really a lot like Rex's ideal in "The Deserter", if you think about it. A fierce commitment to the cause that was placed upon him. Dedication to his duty above all else. Dogma is who Rex was trying to be when he confronted Cut Lawquane - the difference being that even then, Rex's sense of honor was diverging from his sense of duty (hence, Rex ultimately does not turn Cut in, while Dogma would never dare be "complicit in their insubordination!").

If you think about it that way, it adds a whole new meaning to Rex's response to Anakin's comment: "Maybe... back in the day."

Okay, Dogma's "blind loyalty" aside, I think that it's clones like Appo that showcase what the average trooper is like. Appo never comes out one way or the other when it comes to Krell. He follows his immediate superior, be it Krell one minute, Rex another. Appo just does his job. Surely he was affected by the friendly fire incident, but he never comes out vocally against Krell. He just follows the new superior, Rex.

This is what (I think) makes the majority of the clones turn so easily on the Jedi. While a handful know and trust the Jedi, and have meaningful, personal relationships with them, the average trooper doesn't concern himself with them. When Appo receives Order 66, he takes it in stride, just like he did when it was time to follow Rex instead of Krell.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.