main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Case for Why The Force Awakens Will Be the Greatest Star Wars Movie Ever Made

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This one's for jedijax, who seems despondent. He needs cheering up.

So. Maybe TFA isn't going to be the most original Star Wars movie ever made. That was only ever going to happen once anyway. But that doesn't mean TFA won't be the best, most finely crafted Star Wars film ever.

And, here's the rub, I think this movie may have more heart and soul than any Star Wars movie we've ever had. It's not just that J.J. Abrams says all the right things to make me think he understands precisely and with profound insight all the things about the original Star Wars that made it most appealing. It's not just that Daisy Ridley cries tears of absolute heartbreak better than any Star Wars character has ever shed tears of absolute heartbreak. It's not just that Ridley and Boyega's social media bubbles over with an infectious, youthful enthusiasm for the project that reveals nothing ever other than absolute pride and joy at their involvement. It's not just that Adam Driver's ability to portray a kind of entrancing neurotic confidence, a wild arrogance/vulnerability that makes him an almost utterly unique choice for a major Hollywood villain role.

It's more that nearly every frame of the film we've seen so far looks completely, utterly, impossibly, yet clearly and incontrovertibly right. It looks like the Galaxy Far Far Away. And it looks better and more real and credible than any of us has ever seen it. Abrams has built the GFFA. He wants to give us a tour. He wants to be our tour guide.

Yes, nostalgia for the OT is luring people into theaters, but it's obvious that the OT cast are just there to help us find our way into the universe. Boyega and Ridley and Driver and Isaac are going to carry this movie with a new focus on performance and character and chemistry and emotional weight.

I'm really, genuinely excited that this new movie may be "the one." The impossible sequel. The Godfather 2 of the Star Wars series. The Cameron Aliens to Scott's Alien. The magnificent and sublime reconfiguration of a classic movie into a new classic for the next generation of Star Wars fans.

It's not impossible. It's not far-fetched. And the trailers have done nothing but reinforce the hope for a new era of incomparable and unforgettable Star Wars.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  3. Vemrin

Vemrin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 24, 2015
    I want originality

4. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    Hey Jabba I walked into my house today and my nephew was watching TFA trailer. His mother and father are not Star Wars fans. I think that 10-25 year old age group has felt the awakening. I have not mentioned Star Wars to him and he wants to go see it.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Sure, why not?

Satipo likes this.
  6. Vemrin

Oct 24, 2015
    It's just a bummer that the best the creator of such innovative concepts like alias and fringe can come up with is a complete rehash of a new hope

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't know if that was the best he could come up with. Disney may have simply ordered him to come up with a rehash of a new hope. Maybe this is the best he could come up with under the stipulations he was given for taking on the job.

Echo7even and KyloAwakens like this.
  8. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm not convinced it's just a rehash of ANH. Unless I'm mistaken... I'm pretty sure there was no defecting Stormtrooper in ANH...

9. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    There's a movie called Guardians of the Galaxy. There is literally nothing from the previous Star Wars movies in it.

10. Vemrin

Oct 24, 2015
    There should be all new enemies(no stormtroopers) all new tech all New everything

11. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I think it really could be the best or at least tied with empire

Artoo-Dion and yassir.khan like this.
  12. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    Go watch Guardians of the Galaxy, seriously.

13. KyloAwakens

KyloAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2015
    He was brought in at the 11th hour (in big scale movie time) to help a stalled script and keep a fast moving train from becoming a runaway train wreck.

There was a frame already built around the sand box, and he seems to have made the most of it.

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999

Why call it Star Wars then? Also there should be a new title sequence and a new composer for the musical score.

15. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    What if the The First Order troops are mostly force sensitive? That would be a different twist. Take your potential enemy and train them to hate your enemy. ANH did not do that. Maybe that is why Hux doesn't mind just blowing his own troops out the sky. I don't think First Order troops are volunteers.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014

That's quite an accomplishment in itself.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  17. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    And it should be in the future instead of a long time ago.

18. Vemrin

Oct 24, 2015
    Guardians of the galaxy is one of my favorite additions to the MCU I don't see what that has to do with star wars

Marvel and lucasfilm are both owned by Disney

Beat you to it

19. KyloAwakens

Nov 12, 2015
    And replace the force with the shining. A marvel/king mash up. Throw in some vampires too...

CnlSandersdeKFC and Darth Haggai like this.
  20. Vemrin

Oct 24, 2015

No of course not w/o the crawl and for now the Williams score (will cross the bridge of mortality when we get there) it's not star wars

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999

"A short time from now in a place called Kansas City"

22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    So... what you want is something that is not Star Wars. Got it.

23. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Kidding aside, never let it be said that Jabbadabbado doesn't believe in equal time.

I think that, in a visual sense at least, this can be the most "flawless" of the films to date. The question for me is how artistic and original it will be. I hold out hope that once all is seen in context it will not feel like a rehash at all. And even if it is, it will still be a beautiful, fun popcorn flick.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    the reality usually ends up being somewhere near the middle of that normal bell curve within a standard deviation on either side.

25. KyloAwakens

Nov 12, 2015
    As an analyst by day, this response could not be better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.