main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Case for Why The Force Awakens Will Be the Greatest Star Wars Movie Ever Made

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013

I would think the sales of ROTS and the success/ratings of TCW are evidence of the opposite. I thought even the TPM 3D re-release did fairly compared to other 3D re-releases. People love Star Wars and they want TFA to be great.

I agree with what JJ Abrams said - they're standing on the shoulders of the previous 6 movies.

When I was a kid, Star Wars was already irrelevant. By the time Episode 1 was coming out, I didn't think it was a big deal at all (until I saw it). I think sometimes fans take for granted how quickly a great franchise can become The Matrix or have your sequel cancelled like Tron 3. I love those movies too, but they are in very different situations than Star Wars.

I hope TFA can make a credible case for being the greatest, but I'm not setting my expectations high.

2. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    It doesnt matter how great it is really. It could be the greatest movie of all time. Period.

But most people have this preconceived notion that there will never be anything better than the original trilogy.

After I see the movie then I'll give you my review. Until then its not even worth debating

3. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Then it wouldn't be Star Wars.

4. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    I'd like to see an anthology film set on Earth (which does exist in the SW universe in a different galaxy).

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Both TCW and ROTS rested pretty heavily on OT iconography. Stormtroopers, X-wings, lightsabers, Star Destroyers, Corellian corvettes, Vader's suit, the Lars homestead and the Death Star are all there in some form in ROTS, and I'd say that's a big reason why ROTS is considered the best of the PT--it at least looks like a Star Wars film. TCW similarly is loaded with OT iconography. I honestly think it helps.

HGST and JediRocks74 like this.
  6. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    The Force Awakens is very much the fulfillment of the Original Trilogy. Abrams, the crew, producers and cast have thrown themselves wholeheartedly into this timeless undertaking. Although we'll undoubtedly uncover more evidence as we proceed, I've summarized four concise examples juxtaposing the OT with TFA:

1. OT (opening): Princess Leia captured by Darth Vader's Imperial Stormtroopers in route to Tatooine, later freed by Luke & Han disguised as storm troopers...versus TFA (opening): Poe Dameron imprisoned by the First Order over Jakku but liberated by a defecting Stormtrooper.

2. OT: Binary sunset on Tatooine...versus TFA: 2 moons eclipsing a backdrop sun in the approaching TIE fighters trailer-shot.

3. OT: An orphaned farm boy leaves his home planet aboard the millennium Falcon not with the purpose of finding his father, although he certainly will...versus TFA: A self-reliant scavenger pilots a legendary starship as she flees from her home planet and hopes to be reunited with her family.

4. OT: Obiwan sacrificing himself to save the heroes of the next generation...versus TFA: Han Solo sacrificing himself to save the heroes of the next generation.

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i really can't understand how anyone thinks the rehash will be any good!

8. Forceuser707

Forceuser707 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 23, 2015
    Looks like the rigged experiment which was two opposing threads (one about lowering expectation) and this one, has given us an indication of how well the marketing for this movie has worked. The other thread (posted three or so days before this one, and thus having a head start) has gone on to fall away (26.25) while this has received a much greater hit to reply ratio (30.37).

Seems this thread is just more popular. :)

The-Clone-Wars likes this.
  9. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    As a original trilogy fanboy, I ****ing hope this movie kicks the original trilogy's ass. I for one want this to do what the prequels failed to do and make an even better series that will introduce more fans to star wars.

10. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

No Revenge of the Sith sold so well because it was marketed as the LAST Star Wars movie. It completed the original saga, it was a huge event. It was reviewed so well because it tied in more with "old school star wars" than any of the other prequels, having tie fighter noises, star destroyers, etc. as well as the fact it perfected all that the other films had started- namingly the spectacle. Regardless you watch TV and see callbacks and homages being made to Jabba the Hutt, mind tricks, Vader, ANH's plot, Darth Vader, the Emperor, not anything from the prequels. The only thing from the prequels that really saturated pop culture was the disappointment people had with Jar Jar, that was it. How much a title is absorbed into popular media is really a measure of how an audience reacted, and when the only thing that really made that transion, was a negative reaction, it speaks volumes.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they're all good.

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Even if that were true, that doesn't explain the TPM 3D re-release selling well, or why the PT blu-rays sell well on their own. Perhaps some people just enjoy Star Wars? (crazy idea, I know)

Regardless of why anyone wants to believe ROTS did well, the fact is it did well and was reviewed well as you said - and that helps TFA and kept Star Wars relevant, which is a good thing. Same thing with TFA - no matter the noise or expectations or internet memes that permeate pop-culture, if it's a solid movie it will only help the franchise, even if it's not the greatest one of all time.

13. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

Neither of those two statements are true. The Phantom Menace 3D sold... alright, not enough for Disney to warrant a continuation of the annual 3-D rereleases, and it didn't hit as high as say titanic did. Also the prequel Blu Ray sets sell, again, well, but when you go to walmart or best buy usually it's the prequel box sets that are left, while the OT only is sold-out.

You don't need to get offended, they're not bad movies, there's no such thing as a definitely bad movie- it's all opinion. The thing is though there's not a lot of evidence the prequels really sank into pop culture the way that the OT did, they're just not as iconic. Again the reason they sold well was because it's Star Wars, I had a lot of friends who'd never seen Star Wars wanting to go the Phantom Menace 3-D, just because of the name. It's something new curious audience members will be attracted to and they're family films parents can take their kids to see.

Also if you want to site the Phantom Menace 3D as proof of the audience love for the prequels or the Clone Wars series- you have to also acknowledge the box office failure that was Star Wars: The Clone Wars 2008.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  14. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    The 2008 CW "pilot" was never seriously marketed as a SW film. It just sort'a showed up and then was gone. It would have done much better if it had gotten the proper SW "push".

15. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    And it's the unpleasable fanbase that sets their expectations too high, I expect to have fun, Phantom Menace was my first Star Wars movie ever, I had fun, and walked out a Star Wars fan, the OT fanbase is just relying too much on this movie to make them feel better because they didn't like the PT. They want TFA to "save" the franchise, sure I like the writing of the OT more, but I like the world of the PT more than the OT. Those sorts of people will never be happy with whatever they see on screen.

16. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    And with good reason. That thing was terrible and put many people off from the series. The show is awesome but the movie/first 4 episodes are not.

17. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Perhaps setting yourself for a fall? ANH never had these expectations.

18. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    One of the things I'm going to be fascinated by is the response of the hardcore PT fans to positive reviews of TFA. Going to be fun.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  19. DaveyWanKenobi

DaveyWanKenobi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 4, 2015
    People who think this will be the best star wars ever will be fairly disappointed. Although they won't admit it for several months.

People who assume it will be a Disney musical crapfest/rehash will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote me on it, I shall return next week for admissions and denials ;)

20. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I came in here to say impossible because how unoriginal it will be. But you mentioned that. Maybe it will be better than rotj and atoc.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think it's going to be a very good rehash of ANH with elements of ESB and ROTJ thrown in. Another poster evoked "Creed" as a point of comparison, and I think that's entirely fair. A rehash can be excellent, loved by audiences and critically acclaimed. I imagine it will be a fantastic experience for newcomers to the series, although young people don't really go to the movies anymore and Star Wars is not all that big a brand for today's kids. I think you'll have a large swath of teens who are completely uninterested in Star Wars, and because our culture is so youth driven, the new Star Wars of course won't have anything like the cultural impact of the original.

But it will likely be a very entertaining movie for us oldies.

22. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Im sure all you saying this know what him and the other guy meant by originality. We dont need storm troopers, death stars and the same ships thirty years later to make a SW movie. Introduce new stuff like the PT. And no I wont go watch guardians of the galaxy.

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The PT didn't have storm troopers?

Strongbow and thejeditraitor like this.
  24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Of course not. They were CLONE troopers. Completely different.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Completely. Different. It's not Tatooine; it's Jakku. Completely different.

Strongbow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.