main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The cat came back

Discussion in 'Archive: Tulsa, OK' started by FaceLoran, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceLoran

FaceLoran Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 1999
    Okay, I have to post this for two reasons.

1) It might amuse some of you.

2) Just because. :p

As some of you may know or may have read, Kenzi's been in Dallas for the last three days on a business trip. Let me tell you, having grown accustomed to have someone to talk to and do stuff with all the time, it's weird when they're gone, even for a short while. There's no one to talk to, except myself, which is no good, cause I always start arguments with myself, and then lose. [face_mischief]

Anyway, so here I am, all alone with a copy of "The Thing" for PS2. Now, my days off from work are Wednesday and Thursday, so I stayed up late Tuesday night, playing this very cool game, because I knew I wouldn't have to get up early the next morning. I go to sleep about 1:30am, and plan to stay that way for a long while. It was not to be.

About 4:30am, I'm awakened by the loudest, high-pitched, most annoying cricket-chirping I've ever heard in my life. :mad: I mean, it sounds like it's in the freakin' room with me. I get out of bed, and begin my search. I grab a MagLite from beside the bed, and poke around the corner of the room the sound seems to be coming from. I'm sure that from outside it looks like someone is robbing the place. I don't turn on any lights, 'cause in our bedroom, that's more trouble than it's worth. (Long story).

Finally, not seeing any cricket, I decide it must be coming from right outside the window. I get dressed and go out, because at this point, it's the cricket or me. [face_devil] I switch on the porchlight on my way outside, and venture around the side of the apartment. I can still hear the cricket (mingled with all his farther-away brothers), and now it seems to be coming from the water-heater/furnace closet. I open the door and peer inside. Of course, I find nothing, but the chirping gets even louder, pausing intermittently as the maglite flashes around inside the tiny room. I take this as confirmation that my quarry is indeed holed up inside the closet, but can't think of any way to get to the thing. (This was at almost 5am after all. My brain was still asleep) [face_mischief] So I decide to go back inside and try closing the vent into the bedroom, which is located in the same corner as I was searching earlier.

When I get there, my brain wakes up enough to advise me of this little tidbit: the chirping isn't coming from the vent, which is near the ceiling. It's coming from the floor. Still armed with my handy maglite, I make yet another sweep of the area, trying to locate the accursed insect. This time around, I notice a small gap behind the baseboard, along the wall bordering the furnace closet. I tap the board with my foot, and the chirping stops for a moment. When it starts again, I kick the board again, harder, and the noise stops again. I wait a few moments, and it stays quiet. Hoping against hope, I switch off the flashlight and get back into bed. Still no cricket-song! :D Finally I go back to sleep, assuming, and rightly-so I thought, in my groggy state-of-mind, that I had killed the offensive cricket. Why else would it stop chirping, permanently, right? :)

This was last night. Anyone who seen the Canadian cartoon they used to show all the time on Cartoon Network knows what happened.

The cricket came back. The very next day. (Well, night, actually)

:_| :mad: :_| :mad:

2. MysticTrunks01

MysticTrunks01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2002
    Hehehe, that is amusing, and yes, i know the cartoon in which you speak.

3. Sentinel_Vash

Sentinel_Vash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I never die billy. You have lived in Okla for how long and you still havnt learned that you cant like the bugs here only piss them off. hehehe Much to learn you have.
    good luck with the criket

4. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    By "I never Die" are you saying you are said cricket in Billy's Apt? "dangerous and disturbing your spelling is"

5. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Oh yea, how is the "Thing" Billy? worth getting? scary? gimme the 411!

6. FaceLoran

FaceLoran Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 1999
    Well, I like it. It's a new take on the "survival horror" genre, with the squad-based gameplay, and the Trust-Fear system. It's got more action than say "Silent Hill", but not as as high horror quotient. One thing I like about it is the levels actually get progressively harder as you go. You know how some games start off kind of easy, then suddenly are horribly hard, with no middle ground? Or are impossible from the beginning? This game has a really good learning curve, which it needs because of a pretty complicated control scheme. Not bad, just complicated. If you're a fan of the movie, the game really captures that feel.

7. MysticTrunks01

Apr 25, 2002
    Or even worse a game that starts of easy and then ends.. uhh.. easy. I'll have to look into dis den.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.