main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cave-A Domain Of Evil It Is. In, The haters Must Go (The Official haters' Sanctuary)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Merkurian , Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. friedbantha

friedbantha Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 26, 2015
    (A) take your accusatory tone and MOD EDIT: NOPE

(B) I didn't link them. Someone else did. Read through the thread before growing out accusations and calling for mods like a child

(C) I am not asking to debate the value of "men's rights activism." This is a Star Wars forum. The article posted accused Abrams of making casting and writing decisions based on. A diversity agenda rather than for the good of the story. IN MY OPINION THIS ISSUE SHOULD BE ADDRESSED BLUNTLY AND POINTEDLY BY THE PEOPLE HERE, not "ignored" as was suggested. I never said I wanted to openly confront their men's rights crap on this forum. Stop putting words in my mouth and read what I wrote

(D) there are people on here preaching "intolerance" of other views. Think about that. Just think about it. Is that really the way to make the world a better place? Or is the answer compassionate confrontation? Challenging someone's opinion rather than ignoring it because "you're so superior."

(E) It is good to see that we now live in a world where certain opinions are acceptable to discuss, and not all opinions. Who draws the line? Where does it stop? Any of you saying I can or can't discuss certain criticisms of a film because of the source of that criticism can kiss both sides of my ass. I don't need your permission to engage someone on a wrong point of view, and you shouldn't either.

And, That'll bring you a 24 hour vacation.

StoneRiver, Cartoon Boba and Darth PJ like this.
  2. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Every time I see the words “social justice” on the internet I cringe. And that website is no good. Kill it with fire, please.

Re: about Rey’s skills.

Rey looks overpowered in comparison because of the way her skills were presented in the movie, i.e., as nothing more than random power-ups. There was no purpose (for now) as to why she had so many skills, and there was no attempt to establish a background for her other than “poor orphan girl who scavenges for food”. Apparently there were no translator/mechanic/pilot/bodyguard jobs in the entire planet of Jakku available for her.

Anakin was too young, yes, but his skills had background. He knew Huttese because he was enslaved by the Hutts; he knew mechanics because he worked in a mechanics shop; he knew piloting because his master made him do podracing.
    His skills were also relevant to his character. Being good with machines was foreshadowing to the “more machine than man” cyborg he would became, and Anakin being a good pilot was not just a development of Obi-Wan’s “he was the best starpilot in the galaxy” line, but also to set him up for his hero journey in the movie: blowing up the control ship due to his piloting.

But that’s about it. Lucas made no attempt to give him other exceptional skills that had no relevance to his character in TPM (other than speaking Huttese). Even though he was said to be the Chosen One with great potential in the Force, his exceptional Force skills still came later.

Rey has a lot of skills, but the movie gave no background nor purpose for why she has so many skills. Having one or two exceptional skills can help define a character, but a lot of them, and for no reason at all, is bordering on fanfiction style of writing. Or maybe it’s the writers’ attempt to pander to my demographic. I don’t know.

But nevertheless, Rey being a good pilot or good mechanic or a good wookiee/droid translator doesn't seem to have any relevance to her character concept or purpose to her story arc. Finn could’ve had those skills instead and it wouldn’t alter one bit the "strong female character" concept, nor her ultimate hero journey, which was to defeat Kylo Ren.

The background for her skills is also practically non-existent. You don’t learn survival skills out of thin air; someone has to teach you the basics (you also need a sparring partner to train), and it didn’t look like she could afford to go to a school or that she had a master. Similarly, being a scavenger does not make one an expert in mechanics by default; many homeless people scavenge metal components because they know copper/zinc/ circuitry is worth something in the market, but that doesn’t mean they can fix a vehicle. If they could, they probably wouldn’t be homeless. Also I have no idea where she learned the tech language.

This could’ve been all avoided had she worked in a mechanics shop that dealt with droids and ships, and her boss was a former Wookiee warrior. There, one scene like this and it would pretty much explain all her main basic skills. And the movie would end with her either piloting or rigging the Starkiller base to save the day, so to give a reason as to why it was important that she had some of those skills.

But as it is, she’s a bland character with random power-ups.

3. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Accusing me of not reading, and then going on, seemingly under the impression that a perceived social justice agenda hasn't been brought up and discussed to death on here until now? Right.

Actually, I want accusing you of anything, I was simply making a point about the "it's all up for debate, people shouldn't take offence at anything" attitude which allows for forums to be dominated by aggressive people who shout down any dissent as white knighting or being an SJW, making forums unpleasant places for women. If that's not you, then it doesn't apply to you. But you might want to rethink the advocating for discussing ROK

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    @clinteastwoodbradfield drop it, it's done. Everyone get back on topic, which in case you need a reminder, is hating TFA. It's not hating the PT, trying to change the minds of people who hate TFA, discussing social justice warriors or rape apologists, or using disallowed words in personal attacks against other posters.

Proceed with caution, or face Nemesis Enforcer!

[​IMG]

5. friedbantha

Dec 26, 2015
    mod edit: Nah, you're in timeout.

6. friedbantha

Dec 26, 2015

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

no problem. Sorry for getting off track.

8. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Read the previous post. Not even close. And it kind of misses the entire point of how these things were used in the respective stories. If Abrams would have made the other films, he would have had Luke kick Vader's butt in ANH, he would have had Anakin nutting Darth Maul and throwing him down the shaft in TPM. Both Anakin and Luke are not presented as being invulnerable or superhuman. Each need other characters to help them. Each have obstacles that prove difficult to overcome, or sometimes (and get this), they sometimes can't overcome. That's what creates drama and conflict. And that's why TFA lacks any tangible drama (certainly as far as Rey is concerned).

9. friedbantha

Dec 26, 2015

10. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Anybody know what the top selling TFA action figures are?

11. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    This is probably the nitiest of picks but Kylo Ren's age doesn't feel right with the way he's portrayed. I'm not saying that only people of a certain age can have fits of anger but the way he's portrayed both by the writing and actor feels like a teenager or very early adult, not someone who's about to turn 30.

ChildOfWinds and guittarjedi like this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I know, right?!? When I see the birth dates of half the people who post the way that they do about a freaking motion picture it is always astounding to me. Oh, this was about Kylo Ren.

13. ekrolo2

Jun 17, 2014

Uhm, okay? What does me posting about a movie have to do with anything?

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My tongue-in-cheek post was clearly about grown adults taking things far too seriously. For a wonderful example, see the exchange I quote in this post.

Darth Roivas and ekrolo2 like this.
  15. ekrolo2

Jun 17, 2014

Yeah, you got me there lol. In my defense, I did admit it's a tiny nitpick for a character I overall really like.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, your post was lovely. It was just worded far too temptingly for me to not go with it.

ekrolo2 likes this.
  17. 3LCD

3LCD Jedi Knight

Dec 17, 2015

I know prequel hate around here clouds some memories, but Wow....

There seems to be an unknown hero not mentioned at all that seemed to help our Nine Year Old Friend quite a bit in the instances mentioned... Let me remind you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best of Friends:
    [​IMG]

Jabba, do you have something against droids man? ;)

Maybe BB-8 was hidden in the background of a few scenes with Rey? I didn't see it... point is Anakin had some pretty skilled help...

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    No. He has something against the prequels. This post is a friendly reminder to not go off on what is held against the prequels lest bans (re)occur. You're welcome.

19. guittarjedi

May 21, 2002
    According to Amazon.com, the top selling action figures are Rey, Kylo, and BB8. I wonder if those 2 nothing characters, Finn and Poe, will get fazed out. There have been rumors of retooling.

20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Well I hope both Finn and Poe get something a bit more substantial to do. If they go the Empire route, Ep VII will separate Finn and Rey, and perhaps that will give Finn and Poe opportunity.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm very impressed, I was so intimidated that I stopped scrolling for a moment there.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Th
    The Poe figures would sell better if any of them looked remotely like the character

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    And? Rey has help from Finn and Han throughout the film as well.

I actually don't mind those elements of TPM at all. I was simply using them as a way of comparing Anakin and Rey, who are both highly skilled heroes. Furthermore, TPM is my favorite of the prequels, because I believe it, like TFA, best captures the naive and optimistic spirit of the OT. It's only AOTC and ROTS that I find to be comparatively empty and cynical.

24. guittarjedi

May 21, 2002
    Isn't all prequel discussion, both for and against, discouraged in the Sanctuary?

25. nargso_calrissian

nargso_calrissian Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2016
    I largely agree. I find her so boring and bland. Nice to look at, maybe. But, little more than decent eye-candy.

That said, I do wish they'd toned down Anakin a bit in TPM. The Chosen One was a justification for his abilities, and I didn't like that prophecy either, but I'd still have preferred if he fell on his face once or twice in TPM like his son in ANH.

La Calavera likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.