main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cave-A Domain Of Evil It Is. In, The haters Must Go (The Official haters' Sanctuary)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Merkurian , Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    Shhh... don't say that, it'll lead to a bunch of intruders teaching us about proper military assignments.

Ezon Pin, MidKnighT and guittarjedi like this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    If the rumors are true, the rewrite could have something to do with it and the perception people got of 1-2 characters. So maybe Rian has to add something substantial to Finn's character.

3. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    I hope you're right, I'll throw a fit if he has to waste screen time dealing with Phasma.

nightangel likes this.
  4. nargso_calrissian

nargso_calrissian Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2016

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That clip is just hilarious. All the more so for being so on point, too! [face_laugh]

5. Cartoon Boba

Cartoon Boba Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 30, 2014
    Show me some links so I can see for myself whether it's a real thing or not and not just some weird defence against criticisms of some things you like. People reacting against a artistic movement (post-modernism) that they feel is creatively bankrupt is hardly a 'cult'.

6. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    To give credit where its due I did think that Jakku as an Imperial junkyard was a good idea, not massively original in terms of designs but at least turning referencing the OT into something new. The disappointing thing I would say is that it actually ends up being quite underused, we see the early intro of Rey and then the scene escaping but not a great deal else with the rest of the time spent there being much more akin to Tatoonie.

A more original direction to go would IMHO have been to actually build the settlement into the Imperial junk a lot more, maybe as part of the Star destroyer? generally I think the film could have done with spending a lot longer on Jakku building up Rey introducing her force abilities much earlier and playing up her attachment to the location.

Instead we end up spending time at a lot of much less effective locations like Han's freighter Maz's bar and the resistance base.

Darth PJ and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  7. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Brilliant!

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, the ship graveyard thing looked like a really cool idea when the concept art first leaked, but in the film it just flies by. I thought they'd try to work in more of a "haunted" atmosphere. Or at least an unsettling one, maybe in the manner of 3PO wandering alone in the desert. Compared to the extended Luke intro in ANH where his day to day longing to escape is given real time to breathe, it was hard for me to buy into the whole situation of Rey's isolation being amplified by her environment. Putting that rebel helmet on might be a cool callback for the audience, but it seems like for her that should more like an artifact from a grave. Not exactly something you want to play around in. Plus seeing the "bones" of the OT isn't quite as impactful when x-wings, TIES, and star destroyers are still doing their thing throughout the galaxy.

9. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

I like the part at 1:43 where the 3 death stars make a Mickey :D

Another hidden gem, 3 characters from "Lost" are standing in the background in that scene (1:51 for a good look).

Legolas22 and JediKnightYJK like this.
  10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Given the number of posts by military personnel in various threads about their duties, it has been the decision of the Mods that insinuating that Finn was a janitor is now considered baiting, no matter the thread.

11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just to clarify , 'cos this is news to me -
    'military personnel' get to decide on the boards content now do they ?

the movie insinuates that he was a janitor , but we can't mention that now is that right ?

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's what I thought we'd be getting... a planet that's a giant ship graveyard, with villages/dwellings built into the wreckage. Seems it was only Rey. Interesting idea, very dissapointing and half-assed in its realisation.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]
    We've had numerous military personnel, in various threads, indicate that standard duty rotation includes sanitation detail. Meaning, that it is part -not the entirety- of their duties. The consensus reached by the New Films Mods is that to refer to Finn as a janitor (instead of a trooper who once pulled sanitation detail) drags discussion off-topic, much as is happening right now. This is the definition of baiting. You can either drop this line of discussion, or choose to continue it in the Unban Request boards. Your choice...

14. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    I already linked to an article which linked to others. I'm not going to google for you, it's 2016 and you can clearly type.

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Postmodernism views originality as a naive, untenable concept. Nothing is ever wholly original, as artists are always just interpreting genres and styles which have come before. They may be mixing things differently, raising trash art to a higher level, or subverting conventions, but nothing new ever comes from nowhere. Artists are influenced by other artists and whatever they learn from others.

To call postmodernism bankrupt then, is deeply ironic, as on that view, everything is always necessarily bankrupt, having made itself from previously existing knowledge and parts.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I found this to be a pretty good video:

I generally like TFA but it is definitely a flawed film and the strongest flaw is the script. It's the general tone/atmosphere as well as Finn that differentiate TFA the most from ANH.

MidKnighT likes this.
  17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I find it amusing -- no offense -- that people are using Youtube videos as support for their views. Who is this guy? What authority does he have and why?

Research based off of youtube sources aren't generally taken seriously -- unless of course we know the people are experts in their field or respected academics or critics.

This argument about "remake" is also missing a fairly obvious point: Lucas already started the tradition of rhyming and repeating events in the franchise. Allusion is a celebrated literary technique.

And perhaps more importantly: these archetypes are part of the mythological structure of SW.

I think this is the kind of thing amateur writers and non-experts find "amazing" when, in fact, it's just a byproduct of the the genre.

18. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

I was with him until the end. He basically claims it's a remake but that he's ok with that. Well...I'm not ok with it. I pay money to see a movie to see a new story, not a rehashed story. Good analysis though.

And it's not a remake, it's a rebootquel which is a recent movie trend that Abrams has been at the forefront of. Read my earlier post for more on that:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ers-sanctuary.50036931/page-114#post-53186577

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Luke's appearance there is more exciting than anything in actual TFA. :p

Sauntaero likes this.
  20. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    First rule of being a guitar jedi is being able to spell guitar.

(Incidentally, that's also the first rule of guitar ownership)

Dra--- likes this.
  21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Pray tell, how many movies have you seen in the last 5 years that have "a new story?"

Dra--- likes this.
  22. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    Quite a few. Especially if you watch more Independent films.

Legolas22 and guittarjedi like this.
  23. xaxiomatic

xaxiomatic Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 26, 2015
    Yeah and? And the prequels were blasted because of that. Now all of a sudden it's become the absolutely necessary direction in which the franchise needed to go.

It sucked when Lucas did it and it sucks even worse now because it's way past the point of being subtle and indirect.

Except this time it's even more blatant and since we're going down the same path again it's becoming even more noticeable.

MidKnighT, FN-2187 and guittarjedi like this.
  24. nargso_calrissian

nargso_calrissian Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2016

That wasn't much of an article nor does a google search indicate it is "a thing" - notwithstanding your protestations to the contrary.

In fact, that article appears little more than a strawman. Let's not confuse originality of creation with using old concepts in creative ways. Does anyone hold it against Shakespeare that he used and adapted existing plots in some of his stories? No, because he used it in different ways that resulted in good plays. Is Joyce's Ulysses any less a great work for paralleling Homer's Odysseus? No, because he did something else with it. George Lucas did the same with the OT - if, perhaps, not to the same extent.

My problem, and I think the issue some others in this thread have, is not necessarily that TFA is a rehash. But, that it is a bad lazy rehash that results in a boring mediocre shallow movie. Originality is nice, but quality is better.

-LordSkywalker- and guittarjedi like this.
  25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I enjoyed the allusion and rhyming in the PT for the most part. And TFA was even more artful about it.

If you think that allusion and rhyming "suck," then you hate all of our greatest literature, which is based on these devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.