main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Cave-A Domain Of Evil It Is. In, The haters Must Go (The Official haters' Sanctuary)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Merkurian , Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    THIS! Exactly this.Abrams has spent his career so far just making variations of other better filmakers work.

Mission Impossible 3 : Sequel.
    Super 8: '' Homage '' to late 70s/early 80s films like Close Encounters and E.T. ( With a bit of Cloverfield thrown in )
    Star Trek: Rebootquel of classic franchise.
    Star Trek Into Darkness : Sequel to his rebootquel which rehashes Wrath Of Khan.
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Rebootquel/rehash of classic franchise.

JJ Abrams is not a filmaker with a unique voice.He is just a go to guy yes man for greedy studios who want to make a quick buck.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Yeah, for me TFA would most likely be better Star Wars if it wasn't trying so hard to be Star Wars. Mostly it just redraws the OT in a manner that feels more caricatured. Thus the OT camaraderie is earned, while the Finn and Poe brofest is not. Vader coldly does away with or threatens those underlings who let him down. Kylo flips out on a desk, which perhaps was meant to be a display so pathetic it's humorous, until you realize this is the guy Luke Skywalker fears above all else. Death Star III, oh no! Don't worry about it, jokes Han. So I don't. Hey, Luke's lightsaber! How did that get here? Maybe Rey will use it to out-duel Kylo in Episode IX! Or we could just get that over with now.

It's like the OT, but funnier and less intense.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I'd say it's like the OT, but funnier and a little more intense.

4. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005

Funny yes... More intense? There's nothing in TFA that is as intense as:
    • Battle of Yavin - Way more intense than the Starkiller Base battle because the death star was built up the entire movie (and we'd never seen this kind of battle before).
    • Battle of Hoth - Intense all-out battle that the good guys are losing.
    • Asteroid Chase - Intense and amazing scene. The escape from Jakku comes close I guess but this scene is just epic.
    • Bespin freezing chamber scenes including Luke vs Vader 1 - Han getting frozen and Luke completely over-matched was intense!
    • Battle over Endor - Death Star plus dozens of Star Destroyers. Good guys screwed, tie fighters everywhere.
    • Luke vs Vader and Palpatine - Luke is in way way over his head.
    And is Rey ever really in danger? Not really as we already know she's awesome at everything. Luke is a much more vulnerable and we actually feel like he's in danger in all 3 OT movies.

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

'Until you realise this is the guy Luke Skywalker fears above all else" *citation needed

6. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    This right here, there's way too many winks and nudges in TFA.

7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but here is the TFA screenplay: http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens.html

Apparently I misremembered the scene in the hangar of Han's freighter - I was told the space doors were open when he made the hyperspace jump from the inside - because there were people and creatures in it that were not sucked into space. :rolleyes:

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Note: Coming back to the Hater's Cave to post dismissively about what people in other threads are saying, from the security of the cave, is not what the cave was designed for... and if it keeps happening, that could be the end of this thread.

9. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    This could be a day long remembered.............................................................

Satipo likes this.
  10. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

But if the cave dies does that mean no more criticism of TFA anywhere? That would be kind of Fascist (for lack of a better term) don't you think?

guittarjedi likes this.
  11. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002

When has there ever been a lack of negative criticism outside the cave? The only thing the cave is supposed to provide is freedom from debate about negative criticism.

AmySolo likes this.
  12. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

I've been redirected to the cave on a few occasions when I criticized elements of the movie outside the cave.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  13. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Well I think that's kinda silly then, unless they were off-topic.

14. FN-2187

FN-2187 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 6, 2015
    And there have been many debates about people's negative opinions in the cave.

15. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    EHT

????????????????

I wrote "Apparently I misremembered the scene in the hangar of Han's freighter - I was told the space doors were open when he made the hyperspace jump from the inside"

Can you please explain what's "dismissive" here when I state that I remembered something the wrong way?

16. Stoneymonster

May 8, 2002
    Well, I did say "supposed to" :( I've been guilty in the past, certainly.

17. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

We all have. The reason I reported the post above was because the post in question actually sought to bring debate into this thread again, or bait people into it. If that stops, then it will look all the more obvious if people who like the film come in here for an argument

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you quote this one more time, I will ban you for attempting to mini-moderate. The amount of times you have cut and pasted the same pat line is outlandish.

Pro Scoundrel , Ezon Pin and EHT like this.
  19. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Mmm.... INB4 LOCK y'all....

20. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I replied to you in the other thread already... will just link that: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-logic-of-tfa-spacecraft.50038688/page-4#post-53250285

However, the larger issue here with this thread is not limited to just this particular example, and a few posters in this thread have been engaging in the tactics described earlier.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    clinteastwoodbradfield wrote

The reason I reported the post above was because the post in question actually sought to bring debate into this thread again, or bait people into it

(bold emphasis mine) WRONG!

The only reason I mentioned it here (# 4007) was to clarify that the space doors were closed and there'll be no further need to beat this dead horse. If there is one thing I learned, is that anybody who brings up an issue that actually isn't one is getting the same treatment as aforementioned horse.

I've seen what some sceptics had to listen to outside the cave because they were not fully prepared.

Instead of assuming and accusing you could ask next time regarding the "why".

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Fine... I guess I will instead quote what I said in the other thread instead of just giving a link to it.

So... I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on this particular case, but the larger issue remains.

23. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

You finished your post by using an eye rolling emoticon while bringing up a new facet to the discussion; the apparent illogic of the doors being open without people being sucked into the vacuum of space. It was clearly a post that was more suited to the thread you were discussing.
    But I'm now really bored of talking about posting, and more interested in constructive discussion on the actual thread. If you're prepared to actually engage properly, and actually give the benefit of the doubt about factual bits to people who have seen the film a few times (unless there's good reason not to) then let's take it back there

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Time to stop arguing; get back on topic, not on each other.

Pro Scoundrel and Ezon Pin like this.
  25. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ...and I already addressed the issue of "magnetic atmospheric containment fields" in the other thread. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.