main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Caves: A Journals (The story of a Kessel spice miner) OC

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Rogue_Pilot_2347, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    This idea wasn't originally Star Wars, but a few changes worked it into a pretty good fanfic idea, I hope.

Title: The Caves
    Author: Rogue_Pilot_2347
    Timeframe: Post NJO and Pre Old Republic
    Characters: Anonymous spice miner
    Genre: Vignette
    Keywords: Caves
    Summary: Scientist discovers and listens to an ancient diary

From the Museum of Anthropological history on Coruscant

Item No.: 29082

Location found: Kessel Spice Mines

Description: Small cube, hypothesized to be an early form of holocube. Seems to contain a message of some sort.

Notes: This holocube was found at the end of the mined tunnels on Kessel by a group of archeologists from the Coruscant Galactic College of Anthropolory. It is suspected that there was more to the message, but aging and some sort of abuse to the artifact prevent the rest from being unlocked.

They told me, when I went in, that I'd hear things that would scare me half to death in the dark; that would set my heart beating against my chest like it wanted to get out. I laughed.

They told me I'd go mad. In a week they said, I'd beg them to take me away. In two, my eyes would go wide, and I'd get all shakey, and I'd jump at every drop of water hitting the floor. They told me I'd beg someone to kill me in a month, and try to kill myself when no one did.

I didn't listen.

I didn't listen, either, when they told me how to ward off the panic that grabs at the back of your neck like a cold hand, and holds tight. It?s the panic that makes your eyes go wide, and you get all shakey, and your heart starts pumping in your chest. It?s the panic that makes you want to bolt like a?like a?a?a womp rat, I think they?re called?when it?s startled. I bolted, my first time in the Caves. It took me a whole week to find my way back to the mapped sections. Since then the panic hits me a few times every week?that never stops, but I don?t bolt anymore. They told me how to stop the panic, but I didn?t listen.

I didn?t listen to much back, way back before I entered the Caves. Mother told me not to go?said it wasn?t worth it; that we didn?t need the money that bad. But I din?t listen: the temptation was too powerful. Nor did I listen when my sweetheart, Annie, told me not to go. She started crying; said she was afraid she wouldn?t see me anymore.

I wanted the glitterstim too much. I got plenty of glitterstim now. It?s hid in piles all over the Caves. I get it from force of habit, now?I don?t remember why. I got no use for it?you can eat it, but it just makes you hungrier; can?t, weave or build with it either?it falls all to pieces..

Another thing they said when I first went in?they laughed at me because I laughed at them, and said I wouldn?t last a year. They were wrong. I?ve been here fifteen years now. Even if I did bolt now, it wouldn?t matter any. I know the Caves by heart. The little blind whit fishes in the cool lakes are easy to hunt?they never se you coming. The light from out there hurts my eyes?I went out once, a long time ago?but I don?t think I could leave now, even if I wanted to. I?m a part of the Caves now, or they?re a part of me. I don?t know which. Sometimes, when I?m sitting there, in the dark, I think I hear water dripping down where no stream is. But then I realize its my own heart beating in my chest. I don?t jump at every little noise now, and I?m used to the shakiness. I don?t know if my eyes are all wide: it?s been ten or eleven years since I?ve seen even my own face.

Sometimes, when the big light isn?t there, I go to the door of the Caves and think what it would be like to go out there?maybe see Mother and Annie again. But then I remember the big light, and my piles of glitterstim, and the little, blind whit fishes in the underground lakes, and the comfortable, cold dampness of the Caves and I turn around again.

They told me a lot before I went into the Caves looking for glitterstim, and I didn?t listen.

Guess maybe I should?ve.

2. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    =D= This is a very original idea! I like it. :)

3. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    All right, all my waiting fans (Jedi of Enth): thank you for the support.

Um, basically, the original, un-Star Wars version of this is what you've already read minus the museum label at the beginning. I liked it that way, and nothing I've written to add on has pleased me at all. So. I'm changing it to a Vignette. Sorry!

Rogue Pilot 2347

4. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Great viggie! =D=
    Is it Golum I'm being reminded of? :)

5. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    Actually, as strange as this sounds, that never occured to me. As I already said, this wasn't Star Wars, originally. It was about a gold miner back in the 19th Century that was close enough that a few alterations made into a spice miner on Kessel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.