main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Cell Block Scene

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth-Horax, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Ok, so what's the deal with the guy who falls down after not getting shot? Han shoots the wall, and the guy grabs his stomach.

Also, when they enter the control room on the DS, Han shoots the dude and he falls the wrong direction...anybody else notice this or am I just anal?

2. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    No, it happens. Not sure the reason for it.

If you notice all the people that get shot are overly dramatic, so I'm sure it's just Lucas telling them to do so.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    For the person who got shot without getting shot, it was probably the concussion or the heat of the blast that got to him. That is the only thing I can think of.

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Chalk it up to either (a) George's specific direction on the scene, (b) forgetting to put the effects in, or (c) insufficient budget to do some of the effects correctly.

As for an in-universe answer... I have no idea. :p

5. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    Wow! And I thought I dissected these films to death. ;)

There were shots flying all over the room. The one that hit him was going so fast, your eye missed it.

How's that? ;)

6. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    This movie was made for $9 million.

7. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Maybe the guy was just possuming. ;)

8. MyHomeThisIs

MyHomeThisIs Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    Maybe a piece of the wall was thrown into his stomach...who knows.

It's an old movie, you can't expect visual perfection.

9. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    I don't think it's too much to expect; that a guy who falls down from being shot would be shown to get shot. Everyone else in the movie does. I think it's kind of like the "Darth Vader gesturing to Tarkin long after he's stopped talking scene", just some shoddy work that, unbelievably, is not corrected in the Special Edition. I guess George wants the guy who doesn't get shot and falls down the stairs to be preserved for all eternity.

By the way, wasn't that guy kind of dumb to charge down the hall at Han and Luke? Wouldn't he have been better off to take cover in one of the alcoves on the wall, much like the good guys do after freeing Leia, and call in some backup?

I've always noticed the weird way the guy falls down after Han shoots him (this is the guy in the hangar control room). He kind of does a ballet move and goes "Oh!" Do you think the guy Chewie hits is dead or knocked out from the punch? You never see the guy get back up! I'm not surprised, though, he flew, like, 50 feet after getting hit!

10. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    Imperials=Stupid. They are mostly clones after all.

Also, they're HORRIBLE SHOTS, so all the cover in the world couln't have saved them. Han and Leia take out over 100 troopers b4 either gets shot, and thats just in the arm.

11. 4LOM

Jan 9, 2004
    Yeah, it's pathetic the stormtroopers couldn't bust a cap in either Han and Leia at Endor...the two of them were totally out in the open! Maybe the rebel troops were laying down some serious cover fire.

That trooper who shot Leia in the arm was probably the one Imperial soldier who passed the marksmanship class, just like the one soldier you see bodyslamming an Ewok was the only one who passed the self-defense course.

12. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    You know, the movie would've been over pretty quick if the Stormtrooper's were shown realisticly. Han would've been killed in Docking Bay 94, Chewie, Luke, and Ben arrested, interagated, and eventually executed. The droids would've been confiscated, the plans for the DS found, and then would been reprogrammed to serve the Empire.

Ya that would've been a fun movie. Over in a about 15 minutes with Evil as the victor. Wow that would've sold lots of tickets. So many there a sequel would've never been made.

The stormtroopers only miss when they are shooting at the main heros, Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, Kenobi, and the droids. They hit everyone else they shoot at. Geez people, you really need to understand the difference between a dramatic license and the way it really happens.

13. 4LOM

Jan 9, 2004
    In other action movies, the heroes at least take cover, though. Riggs and Murtaugh in 'Lethal Weapon' always hide behind a car or a box or something when the lead starts flying. They could at least show Han and Leia doing the drop, somersault, come up on one knee ready to shoot trick.

Just kidding. What movie doesn't have the bad guys also be bad shots?

There's always gotta be a dude who gets shot and falls from a high place. Star Wars totally had that. Luke zaps a stormie and he takes a Greg Louganis, yelling out the Wilhelm all the way down. Classic stuff!

14. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    I've always envisioned shrapnel entering the dudes stomach that made him fall. I guess I'll continue to do so! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.