main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Cell (Obidala, Ep. III AU, very dark - Complete. Vignette added July 14, 2005)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Celt: LOL! [face_blush] Thanks, I think. ;) [:D]

TheCrazyRodian: Thank you. :D I'm glad I lured you over. [face_mischief] (And pleasantly surprised. :D ) Thank you! @};-

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Are you suggesting that the Saga is the Dark Side? :(

Well, I guess it would be hard to argue that this particular instance of a Saga story doesn't fit that description ;) Oh, but it is beautifully dark :D

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    solojones: LOL! [face_laugh] I wasn't trying to, but now that you mention it . . . [face_thinking]

Yep, dark. Like dark chocolate? ;) Sweet and bitter. *suddenly craves chocolate* :p Thank you. [face_blush] :D @};-

4. Lady-Kenobi

Lady-Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    WONDERFUL,OBA!

And I know that my Padawan will agree!

5. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    Sup Obaona-

I just took the time to read this whole thing, and I have to say...

:eek:

Crazy.

When I first saw the title, i couldn't help but think of The Cell starring Jennifer Lopez. I never took the time to watch 'The Cell' all the way through (not a real fan of horror movies) but I do remember what I saw was... disturbing.

I know by now that your fic has no relation to J Lo's movie, but with each chapter, I could not help but feel like a horse was going to get quartered or something utterly horrific like that was going to happen...

And that's just the kind of tension that the fic created. The description and the torment of the darkness and the nothingness was just as horrific as the image of that horse being quartered... and the prospect of living in that kind of absolute darkness for six years was just a different kind of terror altogether...

0_0

By the time I reached the end, I felt the overwhelming urge to take a long walk outside. The claustrophobia got to me

I still don't approve of Obidala very much, but you did it very, very well, Obaona. Besides, strange things tend to happen when you're separated from those you love...
    I've heard someone whisper that Anakin/Barriss would be possible (HERESY, I know! [face_shame_on_you]) but after some serious contemplation, I'm beginning to think it just might be possible. like I said, strange things happen when you're isolated from those you love...

Anyways, this fic was great, Obaona. I'm glad I took the time to read it.

SEQUEL!

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Did everyone know that this won a truckload of awards for angst? Ask oba!

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it did :cool:

I'm glad you got to read it Vivid. Wasn't it claustrophobic, though? Creepy. And I agree with you on Obidala, but I felt like this was a really plausible scenario anyway. Like you said, things happen, and especially I think anything can happen when you're stuck in a dark room with only one other person for 6 years, not knowing if you're ever going to get out 0_o

I love this insane story [:D] I need to read it again. Congrats oba!

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Lady-Kenobi: Thank you. :D

Vivid_Scripts: Crazy? Exactly what I was going for. [face_mischief] I've seen a few minutes of that movie, and didn't much care for it. :p Tremors is the best horror movie ever. ;)

No, no moments of real horror, just the real quiet kind that drives you insane. [face_batting] I'm glad it made you that tense, though somewhat surprised - I never thought this would have such a visceral effect on readers, but it's cool. :D You're right it's another kind of terror, one less considered but no less traumatizing.

It's fine that you still don't like Obidalas - my goal was never to change your mind, but to create a suspension of disbelief for the time period of the story. And yes, strange things happen. ;) There's a lot of stories about a loved one being gone, and the one left behind just finding someone else. It happens, for good or ill. Anakin/Barriss - maybe, just maybe, under some pretty extreme circumstances. War, too, can change people, or separate them - so much so one might feel they will never return, or not make it back alive (which is certainly possible). So - I think that'd be really hard to pull off, but not impossible. Nothing is impossible, as Yoda would say. ;)

Anyway, thank you. :D I'm glad you took the time to read, and enjoyed the story. :D

DarthIshtar: It did. :p Let's see . . .

Best Ep. III speculation, Best Torture of a Canon Character, what else? :p Most Imaginative? :p I think that was it. :D I was so happy people liked this enough to vote for it. [:D]

solojones: Thanks! :D [face_blush] I still don't love Obidala myself, even after writing this, but it was fun to do, and interesting to see if I could pull it off. :p So anyway. [face_blush] Thanks!

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
  10. lvk1978

lvk1978 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 27, 2004
    Just read this puppy at the suggestion of my bud, sj. As The Continental would say, "Wowee! Wow! Wow!" Man, was this dark -- literally and figuratively! I'm a VERY claustrophobic person so I read it as quickly as I could. The story made me uncomfortable, but in a GOOD way. ;)

And this is Obidala, to boot. If you don't like any of the above, don't read. Just as a brief explanation, I normally go for Ani/Ami. I have nothing against Obidala, but I've always wondered under what circumstances would it be possible, or realistic. I guess this is my own answer to my question, such as it is.

Ha! Amidala is the *only* GFFA character that I can stand to see Obi-Wan romance. I think I understand where you're coming from; however, saying something like the above sometimes implies that the author (and others) could not possibly imagine one character with the other because the character isn't good enough, or sexy enough, or whatever enough. Personally, I think that any circumstance would be possible and realistic for these two characters to fall in love. Such is my adoration of the Obi-Wan character (and such is my over sensitivity to a great many things ;) ).

However, I do understand that because of established patterns, storylines, etc. some people cannot see the pairing in any way, shape or form. I know that you are not slighting Obi-Wan in the slightest and, in fact, your characterization of both of these characters is straight, true and entirely affectionate. This is a great story and I thank you for sharing your talent and vision with us.

11. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    *waves at DarthIshtar* :p

lvk1978: solojones recommended this? :eek: Very cool. :D *waves at sj, wherever she is* :p

Yeah, it was dark! :p Did you think I was not serious about that 'very dark' in the thread title? [face_batting] I imagine it's very - ouch, for a claustrophibic person. I'm semi-claustrophobic, and when writing, I'd turn off all the lights just to get the right feel. [face_mischief]

To your comment - in my reading of the character, that's just how I would generally see it. :p It's not that the other character isn't good enough, or sexy enough, or whatever, but rather I think self-imposed limits would keep the relationship from happening. (Especially in Obi-Wan's case; I do see him as being soemwhat married to his duty.) And I do think Obi-Wan would see Padme as attractive (both in a physical sense, and attracted to her intelligence) regardless - in some shushed corner of his mind. ;)

Thank you. :D I'm glad you enjoyed the story and the characterization. When I went into this story, I did it with a love for both of those characters, who I really respect. I'd give myself a few days before I'd lose it, forget a few years. :p Anyway. Thanks for reading. :D

12. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This is my first Obidala, and I must say, you've almost just about changed my attitude toward that fandom! I loved this fic... so slow w/ not much drive, building up an atmosphere so stifling ... so similar to that of the charactors that almost drives us insane! Executed brilliantly, obaona!

13. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    bobilll: Wow! :D [face_blush] I have to ask, what made you decide to read this? [face_thinking] But I'm really glad you liked it, despite not being an Obidala fan. It was really interesting to me to stretch my writing with this, and I'm glad readers took the leap with me. :D I originally wasn't sure I'd even continue the thing, and I really took my time writing it, so everything built up equally slowly, I think, adding to the slowness of everything. That and I wanted it believable. :p Thank you! [face_blush]

14. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Thought I'd up this so I could congratulate you, obaona, for your awards on this story. So, CONGRATULATIONS!!! =D= =D= =D=

15. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Ah yes, congrats, Oba! =D= I was scrolling down, muttering how all the fics I didn't like were winning and then I'm like, well, at least The Cell won. [face_dancing] But yes, I'm looking for more reasons to convert now. :D (Look, I used faces!)

16. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Congratulations! Just had to tell you how much I enjoyed this story! :D =D=

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Congrats on the wel deserved awards on this story!

18. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Congratulations, oba! [:D] [:D] [:D]

19. Pearl_Wilbury

Pearl_Wilbury Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2004
    Obaona, this is one of the most gorgeous fics I have ever written. So imaginative to think of it in the first place, and delicious in its implications.

Characterization is right on, you have done a marvelous job. And I agree with one of your reviewers (forget who); this screams for a sequel. What happens to them once they see light, for the first time in six years?

Six years?! My grief.

And what has happened in their absence? What is the galaxy like now?

Anyway, I'm a-screamin' for a sequel. I promise to stick around for it, too, and not stay sequestered in the dungeons of Hogwarts all the time.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wait, you wrote this Pearl? ;) Yeah, I know, typos. It's easy to get caught up in a fic like this and forget how to speak.

*waves back quite belatedly at obaona* Well you know, I recommend fics I find to be top notch to as many people as I can. This one deserves to be read :)

A big congrats on your awards! =D=

-sj loves kevin spacey

21. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Musing: Aww, thanks. [face_blush] [face_blush] [:D] I really appreciate it, very thoughtful of you. :D

bobilll: Thank you! :D I'm glad you think it deserved to win. [face_dancing] (Faces, imho, are wonderful, wonderful things. [face_mischief] )

tangled_sphere: Thank you. :D :D [face_blush]

VaderLVR64: Thank you! :D You were difficult competition. :p :p

Gabri_Jade: Thanks, dearest. [:D] [:D] [:D]

Pearl_Wilbury: Thank you. @};- And sj just loves to tease, nevermind her. :p

I'm glad you liked the characterizations. Those are always tricky with such extreme AU's (however they are extreme :p ). Ahhh, the sequel question. How would they survive after six years? What happened? I had a sequel plotted out, but I don't think I'll ever use it - I'm pretty satisfied with the story as it is, so I don't think I'll ever have the drive to write a sequel, not enough drive to finish it anyway. :p

But thank you. [:D]

solojones: It's easy to type period and forget how to speak. [face_blush] (My feather is dead ... He had a three day old bread on his face ... 8-} - that last one wasn't mine ;) )

Thank you. [face_blush] It's always very flattering when someone likes something enough to recommend it to a friend. :D Thanks a lot! @};-

22. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    Took me long enough to find this fic and do some serious catching up.

After finally reading the fic in full, all I can say is it deserves every accolade it's recieved. To me, it's proof that with proper effort plausible Obidala is possible, and that subtle dark tone handled well is just as creepy as the graphic.

Considering I do write more dark than bubbly, it's a lesson many need to remember (self included).

Though as much as I'm curious about a sequel, I say don't. The mystery of what happens next adds to the fic's flavour in my opinion.

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow, oba. That was absolutely brilliant. So dark and beautifully written. I haven't been fond of Obidala, but the way you wrote this one works perfectly.

Congrats on your awards, too! ;) :)

24. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I didn't manage to get back to this right away and almost forgot that I hadn't read to the end. So I had a nice long re-read today and read the last two parts which I had somehow managed to miss.

And am pretty much speechless with admiration. Which is saying something. [face_laugh] While I agree that this story has ended perfectly, I can't help wanting to know what happened next.

KD

25. Quasi_Jedi

Quasi_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    Oh my goodness what a read! I am so floored by this one. You are very talented, I can't wait to read other compositions! Keep em coming!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.