main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Celtic Song Challenge|All New Songs Now Claimed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pandora, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    A Blind Prophet: oh, oops. >_< completely misread that.

It happens. (And, of course, there is no reason you can't write the story you had in mind for "I Am Stretched on Your Grave," even if it won't be officially for this challenge.)

You have received "Tam Lin" for your song. The lyrics and videos are posted here.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    5. I Am Stretched On Your Grave

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    RX_Sith: The song that lends itself well to any fanfiction where Vader angsts at Padmé's grave (which was practically its own genre circa 2005): "I Am Stretched On Your Grave." It is an English translation of the anonymous 17th century Irish poem "Táim sínte ar do thuama," that was, like several others of these songs, set to an older tune.

Lyrics

Videos:

Sinéad O'Connor:

Dead Can Dance:

Johnny Hollow:

----

Oh, and: I should point out here that are other possibilities for this song besides the obvious A/P. There are other graves out there to angst over.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
  4. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    what i was thinking about for that one was an AU where luke was dead and mara dealing with that loss. which i still may do, actually.

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Just updated the index, and added a link to the mini-roulette of the four remaining songs. If you're in the market for a lyrical, romantic, or perhaps murderous writing prompt, this is the place! :)

Kahara, Briannakin and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ugh, so the song I really wanted is still up for grabs and I was listening to it last night because I loved the song in high school and I noticed something about the lyrics (or at least the version I was listening to) and plot bunnies just began to breed. So I may have to write the fic (after I finish with the OTHER plot bunny Findswoman gave me). It will be separate from this challenge (since I technically didn't get that song so I won't post it here), but can I still credit this challenge as inspiration?

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I think that should be OK—I'm in a similar boat with at least two other songs on the list that I didn't get. :p Pandora, what sayest thou?

Kahara likes this.
  8. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Findswoman: I sayeth that this is fine.

And I see no reason that--given that three people so far are inspired to write non-challenge stories--we couldn't have a list of those with the index.

9. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Excellent. As soon as said stories go up, I'll add a list of them to the index. Thanks much. :)

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Awesome! I was kinda thinking I wasn't alone!

Findswoman likes this.
  11. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i'll post mine here to be added as well, when i get around to it.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Of course I'm dropping out of this one (blessed be, hooray, sayeth one and all).

13. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    And I have my response started: "An Old Song Re-Sung", proudly featuring Anakin Skywalker in all of his angsty glory. ;)

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Mine's up, or at least, the start of it is. The Wind that Shakes the Corley. I broke my own rule, started to post before it's finished, but I've got a pretty good idea where it's going, no plans for crazy plot twists, and maybe this will inspire me to write more often.

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, you people are really going to town with these songs—love it!

I think the index should be up to date now—if anyone sees anything missing, just let me know. And note that there is now an "Unofficial/Ad-Hoc Challenge Entries" section. :)

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much—index updated. Keep 'em coming, all! :)

And for those working on "I Am Stretched on Your Grave" (which includes myself), I also would also like to recommend this very nice rendition by Kate Rusby (which uses a slightly different melody than the one heard in the Sinéad O'Connor and Dead Can Dance recordings):

Kahara, Briannakin and Ewok Poet like this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Kriff you all, kriffsliders of the kriffin' kriff. Especially the DARTH PANDORA CRIMSON GUARD HANDMAIDEN QUEEN...because guess what just happened? GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED? I had an A/P plot tumblebunny based on a song that was not assigned to me. AND I HAVE TOO MUCH GOING ON, ANYWAY.

Yes, I had to be this dramatic. :D

20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    There, there, dear. Just breathe. We'll make you a nice cuppa tea. [face_coffee] Better? :D Okay. Now you can sit down & write it all down. We need some type of bunny birth control around here... :p

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    OHYEAHTEAMEANSEVENMORECAFFEINEANDIAMALREADYTWEEKFROMSOUTHPARK. :D

*Ahem*, in all seriousness & scherzi a parte, these songs are super-inspiring. [face_love]

22. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    *sighs* this song... was literally the one song that was on the list that i didn't want to get, because after looking at it i had no ideas... and i still have no ideas. i'll give it a little longer and relook at the lyrics and so forth, but this is looking like it might be released back into the wild.

23. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Ewok Poet: You're welcome.

(And I believe that I just spied that full-grown tumblebunny somewhere out there in the wilds of the boards.)

(Though I have now realized that I need to write the one where Sabé is angsting at Padmé's grave. Unfortunately, this is one of those times where I have an idea without an actual story to go with it.)

A Blind Prophet: That's how it is sometimes. Let us know if you do decide to trade "Tam Lin" in.

----

Well, it does look as though people are ON FIRE (puts the all-caps back where I found them) with inspiration. I should admit that I didn't have any expectations when I put up the original post starting this challenge; but if I had, I daresay they would have been surpassed. I am presently behind on commenting--though I'm hardly about to complain--but I have distributed "likes" all around, and I will eventually get to every single story.

24. A Blind Prophet

Mar 25, 2016
    i will definitely let you know if it comes down to that. if i do come up with something, it's likely to be very, very AU.

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014