main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The Census: The Force is strong with us!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Katana_Geldar, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Will you be putting 'Jedi' as your religion on the 8th? I'd like to but it might attract a few stares from the people I live with.

Last census it was revealed that there were 70,000 Jedi here. Could we make it more this time?

One of my friends wants to put down 'Timelord'.

2. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    I think it's kinda lame...so no, I won't be. But, if the Jedi did exist, that would be an entirely different matter. ;)
    Also, I'm pretty much a Buddhist, so I'd rather put that in, too.

3. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    That explains the 'prayer wheel' in your icon. ;)

4. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I won't be here for the census. I will be somewhere in France, so this Jedi can't say anything....

5. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    'Somewhere in France', is that a pun intended?

6. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    ^ The first day should end up being "A Night In Paris" [face_laugh]

[image=http://thebosh.com/archives/upload/2006/07/Paris-Hilton-is-giving.jpg]

Myself, I will be putting down Catholic. Thought of putting down Jedi, but on a few occasions I have been annoyed by people fudging stats [face_skull]

7. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm putting 'A Kart'

what?

8. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Seriously, I'll be in France. The Beaulajouis Wine Region to be exact.

9. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    i would or i would specifi it as force/jedi

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I heard on those ads with Ernie Dingo that the info gets helf for 99 years before being re-opened.

I wonder what they would think of 70,000 Jedi in 99 years time?

11. Jedi_Nat

Nov 28, 2000
    Helf?

I admit, I hardly ever watch TV or listen to the radio, but when I did yesterday I thought he said that yiou can tick a box if you want your details put into a time capsule.

12. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    RELIGION: None...becuz I am a god!

:D

13. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Ha! You are a false God! At least ... that's what Teal'c told me :confused:

:p

14. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    lol i think you should not listen to tealc

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, because it's really worth shaming the Star Wars community and ******* with the legitimate need to collate data on the population. I'm sure the folks across the road from me, at the Australian Bureau of Statistic will be rofl'ing on the floor at the quaint cultural humour of your ilk, Katana. Oh, giggle, guffar and har-de-har-har, Jedi. How original. And that really helps us determine the demographics of Australia for policy purposes - how helpful of them. Wow, Star Wars nerds. Is there any other group as funny, original, or helpful as they? Probably not... probably not.

Katana, the Census is not an excuse for nerds to illustrate precisely what it is that makes them anti-social in the first place. If you have to have to mess with something, write Jedi all over your next ballot in your next local council election where the outcome is meaningless.

E_S

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    70,000 is nothing to sneeze at, Ender. ;)

And council voting is non-compulsory, I've never voted there.

17. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    My My My...don't we sound bitter!

If you have no religion, what's the harm in putting down Jedi?
    If you are a true follower of your chosen faith, then you should put that down.
    No one dies or is hurt because 70,000 PEOPLE (not nerds) put down Jedi.

If you choose to follow the Jedi way of life, then put down Jedi.
    Proove to me that they are not Jedi.

They allow such religions as:
    Naturalism
    Evolutionalism
    The Church of Universal Enlightenment

and I'm sure some of these would struggle to find 70,000 supporters.
    (NO I DON'T WANT A DEBATE ON RELIGION)

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    lordvader;

The purpose of a census is to collate data on the demographics of Australia - population growth, population trends, cultural indicies and the like.

It is a costly exercise to the taxpayer.

If you think it's amusing to squander taxpayer monies, as well as the time of the ABS statisticians who compile the data, by listing a "religion" that is purely derived from a film, then I really don't have much more to say other than :rolleyes:.

I can safely say though it's the attitude of people like yourself which make misantrophy such an appealing, warm blanket...

E_S

19. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Oh dear.

Have you ever bothered to do a Google search on the subject of Jedi Religion?

Do a google search on my "real" name plus Jedi Religion.

Sometimes I think it's the people that take things like religion too seriously that suck all the fun out of the world.

If they can include things like:

613 Nature Religions
    6130 Nature Religions, no further details
    6131 Animism
    6132 Druidism
    6133 Paganism
    6134 Pantheism
    6135 Wiccan/Witchcraft
    6139 Nature Religions, not elsewhere classified

...and under Miscellaneous Religions you'll find...

699 Miscellaneous Religions
    6991 Caodaism
    6992 Church of Scientology
    6993 Eckankar
    6994 Rastafarianism
    6995 Satanism
    6996 Theosophy
    6999 Religious Groups, n.e.c.

and under the code of 6999 they include...

Aetherius Society (Flying Saucer Group)
    Association for Research and Enlightenment
    Builders of the Adytum
    Elan Vital
    Foundation of Revelation
    Gnostic Institute of Anthropology
    Gurdjieff
    Inner Peace Movement
    Jainism
    Lectorium Rosicrucianum
    Order of Omega Rosy Cross (International Metaphysical Ministry Inc)
    Rosicrucianism
    Sabians (Christians of St John the Baptist)
    Subud
    The Grail Movement of Australia
    Unification Church (Moonies)
    Universal Brotherhood of Faithists
    Uranita Book Study Groups

So if they decide to put all those that choose "Jedi" under code 6999 I see no harm.

Lighten up for gosh sake.

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Lets have a little optimism here! How often is it do we have an actual figure as to how many Swfans there are in Australia?
    I know its an embarrasment in a way, but that's the ABS's fault.

And as for Tax Payers funds... I know I would rather pay for the census which actually DOES SOMETHING than a politicians next holiday.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, lordvader, I need you to tell me these things. Thank you so much, for I am truly glad you are here.

Sigh.

I'm saying it's a 'tard thing to do, vader, mkay? As in, "If you put Jedi on the Census, you are a 'tard."

Katana, can you please tell me one policy agenda which could be served by figuring out how many Star Wars fans are stupid enough to put Jedi on the census? "We know there are 70,000 Star Wars fansw ithout dignity in Star Wars, and suspect those with dignity are a much larger silent majority".

E_S

EDIT: How about I give your email to some of the guys across the street, lordvader, and they can tell you how much they share your notion of the "fun" of putting Jedi - and how it impacts their work. How does that sound?

22. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Get over it Ender! Seriously! :rolleyes:

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sure, Katana, I'll just sweep my absolute dismay at your approach this under the rug so you can have a quick laff.

E_S

24. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    and I thought a "manager" would be bound by a code of conduct.

I fought the debate about the Jedi Religion with far better people than you my friend, and I won.

My stand is, If you follow no faith and you think that you uphold the "beliefs" of the Jedi, then you should put down Jedi as your religion. If in your heart you believe yourself to be a Jedi, then you are giving a truthful answer to the question on the cencus.

Who is to say that a person isn't a Jedi in their own way?
    They may not be able to levitate rocks or move objects with their minds, but if they follow the code of Truth, Justice, and protection of the Innocent, then they could be deemed "Jedi" in some form or another.

What sickens me is the use of the word "tard" in regards to any fan.
    I imagine this is your form of the word "retard" which I should think any fan would be offended by.
    PLUS, knowing several people that have "learning disabilities", I know they would be equally offended at the generalisation that doing something which YOU deem to be unwise makes one a "tard" as you put it.

sheesh....some people.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Actually, I was using it in a Penny Arcade context which no, has no links to retard whatsoever. Well, I suppose their creation, which combines a four letter word with the vernacular use of retard, probably had some etymological root in it but the modern meaning of this created term isn't meant to poke fun at people suffering some form of mental retardation...

So, you found a bunch of people of limited means and argued a completely arbitrary definition of "Jedi" meant it could be a legit religion, which makes you a...

Sophist.

Well done.

But what I must confess I love the most is your startling inability to see what you're doing as wrong in any capacity; basically, you figure it's good for a laugh and you can argue that somehow it's perfectly legit to take a series of egalitarian principles and whack a label on them. Sure, you're right, you can run around with dirty underpants on insideout and claim you're a Jedi; that doesn't it make it so, in the same capacity Hong Xiuquan wasn't the brother of Jesus merely because he said he was.

The Census is used for a variety of reasons, which I'd have assumed you would have known given you aforementioned expertise in the area; so the fact you can rationalise away your inherent selfish, inconsiderate narcissism by way of calling yourself a Jedi is just astounding.

The simple fact, LordVader, which cannot be changed on account of your hubris alone, is that the notion of being a "Jedi" is totally fictious; and in that fictious context it relies upon certain critera being achieved. Namely, a demonstrable connection to the Force, and the ability to act as a conduit thereof; and some form of official study at the hands of a recognised Jedi Master.

Since both the Force and Jedi Masters don't exist, and you can't use yourself as a conduit for the force, then no, you're not a Jedi. You're an obsessively devoted fan who is applying a bunch of inappropriate adjectives to themselves to create a monicker for a hodge-podge moral code that relies heavily upon shoehorning the pseudo-Buddhist and Daoist concepts which don't require personal sacrifice into a broad egalitarian ideal.

Just don't give into your hate, and your anger; We'd all hate to see you fall to the dark side.

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.