main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania The Census: The Force is strong with us!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Katana_Geldar, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    An excellent arguement, based around the fact that I have stated that I would be putting down Jedi on my cencus form.

Having reviewed my past posts, I can find no mention anywhere in my posting that says I would be putting down Jedi or any other form of religion...I am merely supporting those that wish to do so.

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    [image=http://thisisthealbion.co.uk/archive/2000-2001/match_reports/36c.jpg]

Back in your corners, people. No need for this to get out of hand. E_S, you should know better.

3. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    And all that over some stats ... what would happen if the world was in jeopardy, and we're arguing over who should go into the shelter first ... I shiver at the thought.

4. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    "Women and Nerds first"

At least that way some of us would stand a chance of getting a date. LOL (JOKING)

5. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    ^ Man, I'm totally telling your wife :p

6. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    And the difference between that and any other religion listed on the census is....?

Not that I'm putting anything down as religion on the census mind you, but I think if Scientology can be on there, then I see no reason something like the following of the Great Green Arkleseizure can also be listed.

Just make sure you pack that white handkerchief.

7. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Gee, guys, where's the love? In the scheme of things, the data will be incorrect anyway, so what does it matter. Aside from people who will make mistakes filling out their census forms, others will deliberately soil them, whether slightly or completely. It can only give a close(ish) estimate, so who really gives a flying ****. [face_plain]

So, at length, I agree with me. And Sith. There's really no point in having an argument over this. (hawk edit: we're done with that part)

8. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Why nominate Jedi when you could put down Sith? :p

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Wow, I never thought this would get so angry. [face_whistling]

10. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Crikey Ender. Kill way to kill the cute puppy!

Sure- the Census is for collating data. My putting Jedi as my religion will not taint anything else, and I'm not doing it to "brigthen up" any poor schlubs day with it.

Either on of two things will happen:

A: Those collating the data will regard "JEDI" on a census form as "None" or "Other"

B: The figures for those who write "Jedi" on their census form will show exactly how many australians are more concerned with Pop Culture than religion. Simple.

It's not going to throw a spanner in the works Ender, nor will it cause any census takers to leap off a building.

It's merely a small show of geekdom on the form.

The Census can either do what everyone else does: ignore the geeks and move on, or use this geek phenonemon to actually record some information about certain Australians.

You really need to be so Overly opinionated and crushing to those who want to do something like this, instead of trying to make everyone else seem like a "lesser being" for being so "crushingly unintelligent to want to do something so irresponsible"

Chill the heck out man.

11. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    But it is the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief that we fear! [face_worried] (shuffles back to Viltvodle VI...)

12. MSE6

MSE6 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    fight fight fight fight..... do'h I missed it :_|

13. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Actually, it doesn't quite work like that. There is no guarantee that the people that put down "Jedi" would have otherwise put down "no religion". So the stats for various other religions could be artifactually lower. Might not be much if it was just a few small things, but 70k isn't exactly a small number depending on the geographical spread.

As to giving some idea of the number of SW fans, no it doesn't. Remember that there was an international campaign since Canada was doing their census at the same time so a lot of people that wanted to do it just for a laugh and screw with things also put down "Jedi".

14. MSE6

MSE6 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2003
    Sorry, I am with JtB on this one.

Seriously if you had a religon and put Jedi down instead...well, then you really weren't too serious about your religion (or community) in the first place.
    I also doubt we will get half as many 'Jedi' this time.

15. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    The whole idea is really laym. its so 5 years ago!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.